DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 528
3 members and 525 guests
beatle, davidcycle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Tire article
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

Tire article - May 9, 2012, 01:34 PM

I found this article very informative so thought I would share

.: Motorcycle Tire Tips | Canyon Chasers Motorcycle Sport Touring :.

personally I have been running sport touring tires on my 600rr for about 3 years and have no drop in performance from a full sport tire
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

May 9, 2012, 05:41 PM

same here. been running Dunlop Road Smart for years. Can easily tear up 211 drag knee and awesome in the rain and cold weather. Why we need full blown sport tires on the street is beyond me when their are such excellent sport touring tires available. They also last much longer than soft sport tires. Wanna be Rossi folks can continue to use soft sport tires on the street. bahahaha
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

May 9, 2012, 06:39 PM

Sport-touring tires rock on the street for anything short of a track pace and as mentioned work much better in cold/damp conditions.

In a pinch they even work well on the track for B group/slow I group pace as long as one listens to their tires and watch your tire temps carefully.

Disclaimer: YMMV and some track orgs still specify that you have to run a sport-tire compound.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#4)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

May 9, 2012, 06:41 PM

I am slow. Sport touring tires are a far better choice for me because of the wear and wet weather /cold weather traction.

My new bike will be getting some pilot roads soon now that they make them in adv bike sizes.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#5)
RIP Jeff Vega

May 9, 2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
I am slow. Sport touring tires are a far better choice for me because of the wear and wet weather /cold weather traction.

Im slow also, so they work great for me. Only down side to the PR2s is that as they get close to wear the rear tends to slide a little. But dam it, still can't get over 5k miles on a set!
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

May 9, 2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
But dam it, still can't get over 5k miles on a set!
You ain't never gonna get shyt for mileage out of a tire. To get over 5k on a tire you're going to have to get some ME880's.

Unread
  (#7)
RIP Jeff Vega

May 9, 2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
You ain't never gonna get shyt for mileage out of a tire. To get over 5k on a tire you're going to have to get some ME880's.
Haha...I'm too fat, I know!

Do u get good mileage?
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

May 9, 2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
Haha...I'm too fat, I know!

Do u get good mileage?
Hahahaha. I wasn't talking about your weight. And no, I don't know anyone getting more than about 4500 out of the rear of an ST tire. However that still beats less than 2500-3000 out of a sport tire.

Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

May 9, 2012, 08:30 PM

I agree. I've been running the PR2's and I have no qualms about them at all. I can run 211 at full lean with no problem. My tires currently have about 8,000 miles on them and they still don't even have a flat line through the middle and the sides have plenty of tread left as well. I'll likely be pushing these tires into the 10-12k territory, and I push them. But I agree with Speed3 that in the beginning and end of their tread life they can be a little slippery but they catch again pretty nicely. I'll stick with the PR2's for the road but I wouldn't trust pushing them on the track.
Unread
  (#10)
Licensed Rider

May 9, 2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
Hahahaha. I wasn't talking about your weight. And no, I don't know anyone getting more than about 4500 out of the rear of an ST tire. However that still beats less than 2500-3000 out of a sport tire.
I get bout 4k out of Angel ST's, could probably get more, but I use the throttle pretty aggressively, as I consistently ride with liter+ bikes, I keep my lil 600 in the 8-12k rpm range to keep my torque/acceleration close

was lucky to get 2k miles out of the DC III's I used to run 4 years ago tho
Unread
  (#11)
SUPERBITCHIN'

May 9, 2012, 11:18 PM

how effin appropriate this post, I'm shopping for new tires and have been looking at sport touring tires to put on the R6.
David said not to bother, to get sport tires on a sport bike.

I'm slow, I mostly slab commute so I would like my tires to not deform right in the middle after a few miles.

How are those Pirelli angels? I was also looking at the Michelin Road 3s. Any experience with these?

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#12)
Licensed Rider

May 10, 2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by {SALVA} View Post
how effin appropriate this post, I'm shopping for new tires and have been looking at sport touring tires to put on the R6.
David said not to bother, to get sport tires on a sport bike.

I'm slow, I mostly slab commute so I would like my tires to not deform right in the middle after a few miles.

How are those Pirelli angels? I was also looking at the Michelin Road 3s. Any experience with these?
I love the angels, I been riding pirellis for the last 5 yrs, so have no personal exp with the road 3's, but I have ridden with people that are using them, and they say nothing but good things about them

my opinion is that either will be good, sport touring tires are like sport tires in that everyone has an opinion on which they personally like best, and which one performs the way they want it to

I do know I can rail the angels with confidence, and that I have seen the road 3's railed in similar fashion, so traction is not an issue
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

May 10, 2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by {SALVA} View Post
Jamescbr & I both run Angel STs. I've run 3-4 sets and have no complaints.

I haven't run the PR3's but if Speed3 hasn't had any issues with them till they're near the end of their lifespan I would say it's a pretty safe bet that they have great grip as well.

I'm with you on the flat spotting deal. Doesn't matter how sticky a tire is, once the rear squares off I hate what it does to handling. Jamescbr and I made a run up interstate 81 to get home all the way from Asheville NC in the pouring rain and my tires were still ok when we got home. That run would have trashed a sport tire.

Last edited by windblown; May 10, 2012 at 12:38 AM..
Unread
  (#14)
SUPERBITCHIN'

May 10, 2012, 10:12 AM

thanks guys. I think I'm going to try the Road 3s. Heard always good things about the 2ct and these have the same compounds. Been wanting michelin or pirelli for my next set so I'll try these first and pirelli next. and seeing that I don't actually ride should be in a couple of years

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#15)
Range Rover Owner

May 10, 2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post

My new bike will be getting some pilot roads soon now that they make them in adv bike sizes.
Fitz, take a look at the Anakee II's. they grip good in the corners and have off-road pattern. I've got 3k in them and barely worn.