DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 544
1 members and 543 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Tire Patch?
Unread
  (#1)
sadly but true...

Tire Patch? - June 15, 2008, 03:48 PM

Has anyone ever gotten a tire patched? Close to new tire and short on cash...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Sober  
Unread
  (#2)
whoa preppy......

June 15, 2008, 03:53 PM

I've done road side patches but only to get home. (Rode one for 300 miles once!)

Personsally, I wouldn't rely on it. I'd get a new tire. When the tire punctures, it compromises the carcass and severs belts. I know it sucks, and I know tires aren't cheap...but a new ass and plastics are more expensive.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
B
It goes to 11.

June 15, 2008, 03:58 PM

I have takeoffs for $75-100 dollars. That's for a set.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

June 15, 2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot
I've done road side patches but only to get home. (Rode one for 300 miles once!)

Personsally, I wouldn't rely on it. I'd get a new tire. When the tire punctures, it compromises the carcass and severs belts. I know it sucks, and I know tires aren't cheap...but a new ass and plastics are more expensive.
If done properly I would not sweat it.

Althought a proper repair will set you back $60 or more. Which is half the cost of a new tire.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
sadly but true...

June 15, 2008, 04:56 PM

I was thinking of gettin an internal patch not a plug... it's just a finishing nail thats in the tire. It use to hold air but now it's starting to really leak.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Sober  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

June 15, 2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sober
I was thinking of gettin an internal patch not a plug... it's just a finishing nail thats in the tire. It use to hold air but now it's starting to really leak.
FROM DUNLOP

Quote:
Some punctures in motorcycle tires may be repaired.

Dunlop recommends only permanent plug-patch repairs of small (maximum 1/4-inch diameter) tread area punctures from within the dismounted tire by a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle dealer. Never perform an exterior repair and never use an inner tube as a substitute for a proper repair. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after repair and the repaired tire should never be used over 75 mph. Check inflation pressure after tire cools for at least three (3) hours following run-in, or sooner if air loss is suspected.

No form of temporary repair should be attempted because secondary damage caused by a penetrating object may not be detected and tire or tube deflation may occur at a later date.

Dunlop does not recommend the use of liquid sealants. These are a form of temporary repair, and they may adversely affect ply material and mask secondary damage caused by a penetrating object. Reliance upon sealants can result in sudden tire failure and accident.
I have repaired a few and lived.
  Send a message via AIM to