DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 553
3 members and 550 guests
2blueyam, amit, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Tire plug?
Unread
  (#1)
Maine-iac

Tire plug? - July 7, 2009, 09:02 AM

Where can I get a tire plugged close to DC?
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brandon77  
Unread
  (#2)
Street Bonk Bum.....

July 7, 2009, 09:06 AM

none of the local shops will plug tires....there are WAY too many liabilities...just get a new tire. i for one wouldnt ride a plug unless that was a last resort to get me home and even still i would rather call a tow. just my $.02

CCS AM # 204
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Typical Stripper

July 7, 2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWZelibor View Post
none of the local shops will plug tires....there are WAY too many liabilities...just get a new tire. i for one wouldnt ride a plug unless that was a last resort to get me home and even still i would rather call a tow. just my $.02
Fairfax Cycles did one for me back in 02 or 03

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Street Bonk Bum.....

July 7, 2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist View Post
Fairfax Cycles did one for me back in 02 or 03

that was before Kevin owned it....i know for a fact he wont do one

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#5)
GOTTARIPANDRUNNOW

July 7, 2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
+1 Thats' what I did last year. Just to get home and no more.Plug in Motorcycle, plus high speed = bad news! You'll be sorry!

RIP AND RUN COMEON!!!!!2007GSXR1000 Ride your own you rookie!http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00000789219497
Unread
  (#6)
Maine-iac

July 7, 2009, 09:13 AM

Ugh...my diablo only has about 300 miles on it, I'd hate to get a new one
Unread
  (#7)
T.R.I.T.D.H

July 7, 2009, 09:20 AM

I won't tell you not to plug it....I will tell you that I'd only plug it just to make it back home to swap tires.

With that being said, if I'm 30miles or 100miles from home....I'll still ride on a plugged tire to make it home give the plug isn't anywhere near or around the sidewall of the tire.

WOuldn't make it a habbit to ride a plugged tire on a daily basis...you only go two..not 4.

Plug it yourself...most shops will decline you unless you have an in with them already and you personally know someone outside of the business.

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#8)
GOTTARIPANDRUNNOW

July 7, 2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon77 View Post
I had only 1000 miles on tire for me but I still won't chance it . It's asking for trouble, it's not like a car tire thats alot thicker. A motorcycle tire only a few centimeters thick. How confident are you going to feel going around turns and whatever with a plug in tire.JUst my

RIP AND RUN COMEON!!!!!2007GSXR1000 Ride your own you rookie!http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00000789219497
Unread
  (#9)
T.R.I.T.D.H

July 7, 2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:

hope I'm not bringing bad karma to my 2ct's but it's just part of the game man....gotta pay to play with big toys.

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#10)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

July 7, 2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Where can I get a tire plugged close to DC?
When do you need it plugged? I work in upper NW and can bring in my plug kit. If you get the right plug it will work for a while but not at speeds over 100 mph. The plug kit I have is not the old style but a mushroom style that uses a special tool to insert it. PM me today and I will bring the kit in tomorrow.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

July 7, 2009, 09:45 AM

By all means, buy a new tire. It helps spur the economy. A plug kit is only a few bucks, what good does that do?

There will always be those who will ride on a plugged rear tire, and those that won't. It's a personal decision.... and personally I have no problem with it. If it's an almost new rear tire, and the hole is in a good spot for a repair I'll opt to plug it and ride it down to the wear bars every time.

However, the correct answer is buy a new one of course.

My only cavets are I would not ride a rear tire that someone else plugged, I wouldn't ride a plugged tire on a track, and I'd never ride a plugged front tire unless it was just to get home.
Unread
  (#12)
Typical Stripper

July 7, 2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
that was before Kevin owned it....i know for a fact he wont do one
Worked to get me home though.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
T.R.I.T.D.H

July 7, 2009, 09:51 AM

btw.....mushroom plug that holds from the inside is far superior than the shoelace ones...but I think you have to take the tire off the rim to plug in that manner...which makes it no help if you are stuck on the side of the road.

Unread
  (#14)
Maine-iac

July 7, 2009, 09:56 AM

Anyone got a spare 180/55 ZR17 to sell?

And will Mich Pilot road R17s substitute for pilot sport ZR17s??
Unread
  (#15)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

July 7, 2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
btw.....mushroom plug that holds from the inside is far superior than the shoelace ones...but I think you have to take the tire off the rim to plug in that manner...which makes it no help if you are stuck on the side of the road.
No you do not have to take the tire off!!! It is a kit to use if you get a flat out on the road. I have used it to help out a few people. Dam why else would I offer to plug it? Plus if you read my post it says I have a tool to insert the plug. Christ just trying to help out someone!

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!