DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 559
3 members and 556 guests
davidcycle, Slider, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Tire weardown
Unread
  (#1)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

Tire weardown - February 17, 2011, 01:04 PM

I have a question about tire wear down. Asssume most of the commuting is highway. Its generally said that the rear tire wears down twice as fast as the front tire. So usually u can get double the mileage from the front tire than from the rear. My question is, does this ratio hold true for alll speeds. If my average speed was 55 mph, will my rear tire wear down twice as fast as the front as opposed to if my average speed was 100mph. Im thinking the 1:2 ratio would prolly increase to 1:3 bc teh faster you go, theres more pressure on the rear tire, making it wear down faster than 2x (possibly 3x or 4x faster?)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

February 17, 2011, 01:12 PM

And no i wont be going 100mph on the highway, just threw out an arbitrary number which was higher than 55...
Unread
  (#3)
T.R.I.T.D.H

February 17, 2011, 01:13 PM

Interesting question.

But I'd have to ask how definite is the statement that your rear wears down 2x as fast? (I understand you may just be using that as a reference point however)

Anyways, there are a lot of variables road condition/surface, manner in which rider applies throttle/brake, type of tire compond...

I would definitely think that speed has a factor in the rate at which a tire renders replacement, but I don't think you can apply any constant norm to that situation.

i.e. the faster you ride the sooner you have to replace the tire....

what if a smooth rider on a smooth road avgs 100mph versus a choppy rider on a rough road who avgs 55 mph....who will have to replace tire first?

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#4)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

February 17, 2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
Interesting question.

But I'd have to ask how definite is the statement that your rear wears down 2x as fast? (I understand you may just be using that as a reference point however)

Anyways, there are a lot of variables road condition/surface, manner in which rider applies throttle/brake, type of tire compond...

I would definitely think that speed has a factor in the rate at which a tire renders replacement, but I don't think you can apply any constant norm to that situation.
Yea thats a reference point that ive heard. I usually swap both tires out at the same time so im not sure if its even true

Truueee, should have made more assumptions

Also assume, both tires are of the same compound, its highway riding (smooth) so there will be minimal acceleration

Last edited by Riz; February 17, 2011 at 01:17 PM..
Unread
  (#5)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

February 17, 2011, 01:16 PM

Also I find that if I hold my wheelies longer I can save the front longer.

Really you need to watch your PSI also. Lower psi means more tire wear. Also ham fisting the throttle will reduce the life of the rear. And no the speed will not factor in as much.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#6)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

February 17, 2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post

Really you need to watch your PSI also. Lower psi means more tire wear. Also ham fisting the throttle will reduce the life of the rear. And no the speed will not factor in as much.
Unread
  (#7)
T.R.I.T.D.H

February 17, 2011, 01:20 PM

^I can see that...b/c from what I know tires ususally shed rubber at a CHANGE of an event...(throttle, brake, turn, )

so if you are assuming constant speed (say you put bikes on a dyno but it's really like a road treadmil...for bikes)

and you set one at 55 and one at 100......I wonder which will require a new tire first? or would they require replacement around the same time?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#8)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

February 17, 2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
^I can see that...b/c from what I know tires ususally shed rubber at a CHANGE of an event...(throttle, brake, turn, )

so if you are assuming constant speed (say you put bikes on a dyno but it's really like a road treadmil...for bikes)

and you set one at 55 and one at 100......I wonder which will require a new tire first? or would they require replacement around the same time?
the one going 100
Unread
  (#9)
T.R.I.T.D.H

February 17, 2011, 01:31 PM

I mean that's what I WANT to believe but I'm think that if all variables are the same

the only thing that the one going 100 is going to do is rack up MORE miles faster...but wouldn't it be possible for both to need replacement at the relative same time?

Am I reading your initial question incorrectly?

Unread
  (#10)
Nubbs ban yourself!

February 17, 2011, 01:36 PM

Only thing I can contribute is a question.
Does going twice as fast mean twice the friction?

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#11)
Nubbs ban yourself!

February 17, 2011, 01:50 PM

Also if going faster increases the heat of the tire wouldn't that cause it to wear faster than just going 50?
So if we say friction does double going twice as fast (which I am not sure about) since we know tires will wear more when they heat up more wouldn't it reason that they will wear more than double at twice the speed?

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#12)
Derpetologist

February 17, 2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131

Yeah I thought torque generated by accel / decel contributed more to tire wear. But then wouldn't the front wear down as fast from braking, you might ask... Hmmm

My guess is that people accelerate harder than they brake, more often.

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
Unread
  (#13)
Nubbs ban yourself!

February 17, 2011, 01:58 PM

Maybe some engineer knows the answer with some equation but I can't find anything other than friction does increase with speed but not how much.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#14)
cake > pie

February 17, 2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
Also if going faster increases the heat of the tire wouldn't that cause it to wear faster than just going 50?
This is what I was thinking also. Increased heat = shorter tire life span?
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
Nubbs ban yourself!

February 17, 2011, 02:01 PM

Also If mostly highway in your scenario You would probably increase your hard braking just as much as your hard accelerating. This might put your ratio back to 1:2.

I was looking at your question differently sorry.
I was thinking you were asking if your tires would wear twice as fast going twice the speed... Sorry.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin