DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 530
4 members and 526 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, Slider, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Tires Pirelli Scorpion Sync vs: Avon Distanzas
Unread
  (#1)
Get Tarded!

Tires Pirelli Scorpion Sync vs: Avon Distanzas - March 22, 2010, 09:58 PM

I am pulling the trigger this week. The prices are about the same I was just wondering if anyone has used the Sync's here, I know Distanza's are the most popular choice for tards.

My issue is that the bike is so light if the front loads up when braking, the engine braking alone can break the back end free if it's not really warm out and the roads are not ideal; mix in a little back brake and the rear will slide out sideways till you give it some gas or slow down with the Dunlop 208sm tires I have on it now. I would like better grip and a rear tire that will last at-least 3k miles

Thank you for the input. And if you know any killer deals on either set let me know.

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

March 23, 2010, 02:34 AM

What are you looking for in a tire? Are you going to do off road or just gravel roads? Most of these type of tires suck in the mud no matter what. As for the hard pack dirt or fire roads I have taken my SM down them and up dryed up creek beds with road race tires. Once warmed up the stick to the rocks great. Are you looking for a good street tire that you can get good milage out of then try the Dunlop RoadSmart tire. I am rocking them now on the Duke and love them. They have a dual compound for better traction when leaned over and a harder center for milage. I also have taken off road on the Branson ride we did. Dam good tire plus RnR can get you the best price!

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#3)
( * )|( * )

March 23, 2010, 07:26 AM

If you plan on doing some off-road riding don't get the scorpion sync tires, they have a good pattern however tear up quickly because they are soft. On the road they are good, incredible in the rain!
Only bad thing is the rear will wear quickly in the center even if you do not ride highways/straight roads...etc...

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#4)
Get Tarded!

Thumbs up March 23, 2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
What are you looking for in a tire? Are you going to do off road or just gravel roads? Most of these type of tires suck in the mud no matter what. As for the hard pack dirt or fire roads I have taken my SM down them and up dryed up creek beds with road race tires. Once warmed up the stick to the rocks great. Are you looking for a good street tire that you can get good milage out of then try the Dunlop RoadSmart tire. I am rocking them now on the Duke and love them. They have a dual compound for better traction when leaned over and a harder center for milage. I also have taken off road on the Branson ride we did. Dam good tire plus RnR can get you the best price!

The Branson ride is the big one I am aiming for most of what I will be doing is street, and most dirt roads are so hard packed/ blue grooved I am not to worried about the mud maybe 5-10 dirt right now I want to do more but haven't found anything local yet.

I will call up RNR today they are pretty far out of my way but heck they are a sponsor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6 View Post
If you plan on doing some off-road riding don't get the scorpion sync tires, they have a good pattern however tear up quickly because they are soft. On the road they are good, incredible in the rain!
Only bad thing is the rear will wear quickly in the center even if you do not ride highways/straight roads...etc...
How many mile were you pulling off on them?

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650
Unread
  (#5)
RIP Jeff Vega

March 23, 2010, 08:01 AM

Good question...I have the contiforce SM tires and the rear is wearing fast. What is typical mileage for a rear? I'm probably at less than 1,000 and it's not wearing good.

BTW...I've heard lots of good things about distanzas. Buy them and let me know