DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 581
1 members and 580 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Tires? what are tires? what kind?
Unread
  (#1)
How do I Wheelie?

Tires? what are tires? what kind? - April 13, 2010, 07:30 AM

So got my new wheels on Thursday and got them with everything... including tires...

They came with " Pirelli Supercorsa " tires. I was siked!!!
But when I asked some one in Colman's what they thought about the tires... basically they said I need to buy NEW... STREET TIRES.

When I purchased this wheels I figure I would be saving on tires?

Any one care to please school me on tires I'm sure there are a few more people out there with the similar question??

COMPOUND TIRES / STREET TIRES/ ETC?

Thankx...

BTW HERE IS THE TIRES I GOT!

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CAMILOENCINAS  
Unread
  (#2)
( * )|( * )

April 13, 2010, 07:36 AM

I know a lot of people that run them on the street with no issues. Don't waste your money!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Shot, over.

April 13, 2010, 09:25 AM

A serious rider will tell you that there are heat cycle management and tempaerature issues, and wear problems, but I have run track tires on the street before with no problems.

Then again, I have Shinkos on my Speed Triple. I am sure someone here will tell you I am headed for certain death.
Unread
  (#4)
( * )|( * )

April 13, 2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
A serious rider will tell you that there are heat cycle management and tempaerature issues, and wear problems, but I have run track tires on the street before with no problems.

Then again, I have Shinkos on my Speed Triple. I am sure someone here will tell you I am headed for certain death.
Yes, he's running a race tire on the street...they'll never get up to full temp. However, the Pirelli's will get a decent amount of heat within a few minutes so it shouldn't be a problem.

Trackday tires on the street work very well, they come up to temp quickly and actually work better on hot days compared to street tires which heat faster however, have a lower temp working range.

Chris
Unread
  (#5)
GET SOME ! ! !

April 13, 2010, 09:50 AM

I'm sure you'll be fine, whats the date on the tire (scroll to the bottom: http://www.amadirectlink.com/roadrid...resc/tires.asp), is it down near the wear marks in the groves? Go ahead and check that first, see if the tire is fairly old, and see if its worn down to far.

FYI, I don't think your picture worked, at least I can't see it.

TPM/Roger Lyle/MARRC/NESBA #911

MARRC Cornerworker

2008 RAW Off-Road Desert Racing 58a Rider
Unread
  (#6)
How do I Wheelie?

April 13, 2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6 View Post
I know a lot of people that run them on the street with no issues. Don't waste your money!
Any one care to explain what it the difference between a STREET TIRE and a Compound tire?

I think the pics are not up... sorry...!!!
Unread
  (#7)
TPG og

April 13, 2010, 10:04 AM

Supercorsas are fine bro.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#8)
How do I Wheelie?

April 13, 2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00STZX3 View Post
Supercorsas are fine bro.
Yea.. I just hope they last as long as street tires..!!!
Unread
  (#9)
Mohawk Ryderz Prez

April 13, 2010, 11:18 AM

those tire are junk, you should take them off right away and either give it to me or sale it. i am doing you a favor. or i trade you for some street tires.

www.MohawkRyderz.com
http://www.Facebook.com/MohawkRyderz
http://www.twitter.com/MohawkRyderz

2012 zx10r
2004 Cbr1000rr black - Sold
2006 R1 anniversary edition - Sold
2006 Gsxr 600 red/blk - Sold
2006 Gsxr 600 flat Green/Silver - Sold
2007 Gsxr 600 flat blk/pink - wifey's Sold
2004 Yamaha R1 Black Sold
2003 Hayabusa orange Sold
2006 zx6r blk mobile jukebox (contest winner-hater's bike)Sold
2004 R6 blk/red Sold
2007 zx10r blue Sold
2005 zx6r red Sold
2003 R6 blk sold
2007 zx6r blk sold
2003 R6 red sold
2001 ducati 900ss sold
1996 zx6e sold

Xbox 360 - (Mohawk Ryderz)
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Derpentine Dealer

April 13, 2010, 11:27 AM

Dragon Supercorsas on the street exhibit a kind of Jekyll and Hyde behavior. Jekyll when warmed up (after some riding and especially some hard, straight-up braking and acceleration); Hyde when cold. Cold supercorsas will drop you like a bad habit. They'll dump you like a fat chick. They'll take your a$$, set it gently onto giftwrap, fold the paper around it nice and neat, and then hand it back to you. Just be careful with those tires and ride gently when you start out.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#11)
TPG og

April 13, 2010, 11:34 AM

If you get rid of em, I'd go with Pilot Powers. Haven't failed me yet. You can get rear 180 for around $110 shipped which I'mm order friday. Lemme know if you want a link.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#12)
How do I Wheelie?

April 13, 2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Dragon Supercorsas on the street exhibit a kind of Jekyll and Hyde behavior. Jekyll when warmed up (after some riding and especially some hard, straight-up braking and acceleration); Hyde when cold. Cold supercorsas will drop you like a bad habit. They'll dump you like a fat chick. They'll take your a$$, set it gently onto giftwrap, fold the paper around it nice and neat, and then hand it back to you. Just be careful with those tires and ride gently when you start out.

What is the best way to warm up the tires?
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

April 13, 2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMILOENCINAS View Post

Two wheels drifts into a couple of lefts and rights. (Joking!)

Like the man said, straight line hard acceleration and hard braking will warm them up quickly.
Unread
  (#14)
( * )|( * )

April 13, 2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMILOENCINAS View Post

If you're not used to running take-offs going with a trackday or street tire is a good idea.

race tires typically have a soft, medium, hard, endurance (rear) rating so depending on what you have you fall into one of those categories.

As far as heating them up, you probably won't on the street...to get "some" heat in them...it's a simple as just ride.

Chris
Unread
  (#15)
Derpentine Dealer

April 13, 2010, 11:54 AM

You'll warm up the tires fastest by using acceleration and brakes in the straights. Let's say you are on the track on a hot, sunny day and have no tire warmers. I'd start off gently and start accelerating more and more aggressively along with braking progressively more aggressively during the first lap so that around the time I complete that first lap, I'm rocking and rolling. On a cool, cloudy day, I'd still be taking it easy during the second lap. In either case, I'd be extra careful to do my acceleration and braking after and before the corners, respectively. Mid-lean on cool tires is where you just want to maintain speed and make no sudden moves. On the street, just don't expect to pull out from the woods and rail through 211 right away. Give them 15 minutes of non-aggressive riding before going crazy. The first 5-10 minutes of your riding is when you are most likely to have problems if you forget that the tires are like stone when cold.

The reason these tires are like this is in the intended use. These are meant to hold up under the constant friction and abuse of an aggressive track run. They'll go all day on the track without overheating so long as you are careful with air pressure.

Dragon supercorsas are OEM on the KTM 690 SMC, and I did fine with them until it got cold late last fall. Then I had a little "incident" in my parking lot at work. I just got a little cocky and forgot that I had Pirellis on the bike. Just remember to give them time to warm up, and you should be fine.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.