DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 498
2 members and 496 guests
boomboom929, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Valve Adjustment Help!
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

Valve Adjustment Help! - May 31, 2014, 05:33 PM

Hey guys, so I ride a '06 Honda CBR 600rr, and she's got roughly 17,500 miles on her. I'm starting to hear the ticking sound that indicates the valves need to be adjusted. I also think it might be getting a little sluggish on me, but I may just be being paranoid. I'm not a mechanical guy at all so I don't even know where to start with this and I'm scared to work on it myself.

I bought it used and to the best of my knowledge they've never been adjusted before. I was wondering:
A. is it bad for the bike to ride it like this, and if so, how bad is it?
And B. does anyone here (I'm in the baltimore area but I can travel) know how to do this kind of maintenance and would be willing to help me out, or know of a shop that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for it?

Before I get the "If you can't afford the maintenance you can't afford the bike" comments I want to say that my financial situation has just drastically changed due to my mother having unexpected health problems that left her being unable to care for herself which leaves me providing for her as well as myself. My car's in the shop right now as well, and riding is really the only thing making me happy at the moment anyway so I would like to either know its ok to ride it for a while longer the way it is or be able to take care of it with my now very limited recourses. I'm a giving back and pay it forward kinda guy, and I go out of my way to help others whenever I have the opportunity. I absolutely hate to ask for help or handouts but I'm strapped for cash right now and not in a position to be prideful, so if anyone knows of anything or could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. I'll happily bring beer or whatever I could to try to do to show my gratitude. Sorry for rambling and thanks.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
easyrider

May 31, 2014, 06:56 PM

The valves may need adjusted but ticking isn't necessarily from that. Could be the cam tensioner.
Unread
  (#3)
Slowest Going Straight

May 31, 2014, 07:05 PM

Also, I'd be more worried about not hearing any valve sound at all. Tight valves are usually quiet but loose valves make a little sound. Valves usually tighten due to heat rather than get loose although that isn't always the case. I wouldn't worry to much.

Change the oil/filter when it needs it and ride ride ride. It's a Honda after all. Unless your bouncing it off the rev limiter at stop lights daily or using sand as gas then you should be fine until the dealer can work on it.

It was only $233 to have my valves checked for my 2011 Ninja 1000 at the dealer. Of course that was down here in NC. No shims were needed also, would have been more if they were.
Unread
  (#4)

May 31, 2014, 10:53 PM

After doing more research, thats what I'm starting to think, thanks!
Unread
  (#5)
MSF Student

June 1, 2014, 07:19 AM

I live in Randallstown, I've done valves a number of times, not on that exact bike, but I have any tool you might need and I'd be willing to help you with it. Taking all the shit off just to get to the top of the engine is the worst part.
Unread
  (#6)

June 1, 2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDub View Post
I live in Randallstown, I've done valves a number of times, not on that exact bike, but I have any tool you might need and I'd be willing to help you with it. Taking all the shit off just to get to the top of the engine is the worst part.
Thats awesome, and thank you so much. Think we could hook up one afternoon this week? I work in owings mills so you're not far from me at all.
Unread
  (#7)
My Chicken eats Busa's

June 1, 2014, 05:12 PM

Valves needing adjusting rarely "tap" or create some noise. A more probable suspect is the cam chain tensionor.

2003 Honda SuperHawk
No other bike needed. Already have SuperHawk

Click here for Brooks Cycles!
Unread
  (#8)
Stop light racer...

June 2, 2014, 10:28 AM

+1 Agree with everyone else; probably not a valve problem. Unless you're looking for work, just make sure the basic maintenance is done and ride it.

* More often than not when trying to fix a small noise, you end up breaking something else, spending way too much time and money, only to finish it and still have the same noise ...

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T