DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 153
5 members and 148 guests
Diggy, nootherids, R6SP, RRonin, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Vintage Dirtbike Exhaust
Unread
  (#1)
My Chicken eats Busa's

Vintage Dirtbike Exhaust - March 14, 2013, 09:03 AM

I was hoping one of the site's Vintage Dirtbike enthusiasts can help me out with this one:

The bike that I really started to ride with is coming to Virginia. When my folks visit in May they are bringing her with them. It's a 1979 Yamaha IT250. It is in decent shape considering age and abuse. I've rebuilt the engine twice during my high school days. I'm going to make this bike like new. Powdercoat the frame, repaint plastics, rebuild the engine, new tires, chain, etc... You get the idea. The only thing I cannot stand on this bike is the exhaust. The previous owner, in his infinite wisdom, ripped out the core and it's just too damn loud. So, here's the question. Any of you guys ever use a universal-type exhaust and/or spark arrester. I've been looking around and found a few decent ones like the one below. Any input would be helpful. I'm going to have to rejet for elevation anyways, so I'm not concerned about that.

FMF Universal Spark Arrestor 200cc - 500cc 1 - 1/4" - BikeBandit.com

2003 Honda SuperHawk
No other bike needed. Already have SuperHawk

Click here for Brooks Cycles!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
I'm a llama again!

March 14, 2013, 09:06 AM

I have no help to offer but the project sounds cool. You should create a build thread.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#3)
Playing in the dirt

March 14, 2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchickencornermonster View Post
I was hoping one of the site's Vintage Dirtbike enthusiasts can help me out with this one:

The bike that I really started to ride with is coming to Virginia. When my folks visit in May they are bringing her with them. It's a 1979 Yamaha IT250. It is in decent shape considering age and abuse. I've rebuilt the engine twice during my high school days. I'm going to make this bike like new. Powdercoat the frame, repaint plastics, rebuild the engine, new tires, chain, etc... You get the idea. The only thing I cannot stand on this bike is the exhaust. The previous owner, in his infinite wisdom, ripped out the core and it's just too damn loud. So, here's the question. Any of you guys ever use a universal-type exhaust and/or spark arrester. I've been looking around and found a few decent ones like the one below. Any input would be helpful. I'm going to have to rejet for elevation anyways, so I'm not concerned about that.

FMF Universal Spark Arrestor 200cc - 500cc 1 - 1/4" - BikeBandit.com
Just add a new core, a 250 should be around 25mm/1" I should have some 25mm left over from my cr5 build if you want it.

KTMs and Yamahas

Last edited by jar944; March 14, 2013 at 09:53 AM..
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

March 14, 2013, 12:34 PM

Sweet, I did a little bit of riding on one of my older brother's friend's IT175 back when I was even shorter than I am now. I had to start and stop next to something since I was too short to even do a one foot tip toe kind of thing. Something like that seems crazy fast when you're 11-12...
Unread
  (#5)
My Chicken eats Busa's

March 14, 2013, 02:05 PM

I got the IT when I was 14. It's a beast. My dad "keeps it running" for me up in Michigan and he still braggs about how powerful it is.

2003 Honda SuperHawk

Unread
  (#6)
My Chicken eats Busa's

March 14, 2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
Just add a new core, a 250 should be around 25mm/1" I should have some 25mm left over from my cr5 build if you want it.

That's a very good suggestion, thank you. The outer of the muffler is pretty well hammered, so I think I'm going to replace the whole thing.

2003 Honda SuperHawk