DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 546
3 members and 543 guests
GRN96WS6, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Visual inspection of tire beads
Unread
  (#1)
1/4 liter Duc eater

Visual inspection of tire beads - August 27, 2007, 09:33 PM

My question is, can visual inspection tell you if a bead is properly set? For example if the tire is fllush all along the inside of the wheel do you know you're good to go?

My situation is, I only heard one pop on the rear tire. I know the best way to go about it would be to break it, lube it and reinflate hoping for two pops, but getting the old (rear) tire's bead broken was a real chore using the home brew 2x4 lever system. I'd rather not chew up the sidewall of the new tire if it can be avoided. Or maybe my technique with the lever was just bad.

Found a thread from april that kinda sorta touched on this, but anyway thanks for any input.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

August 27, 2007, 10:47 PM

not sure about the visual inspection part, but i think a rag between the 2x4 and the sidewall might cure the 'chewing up'. good luck
Unread
  (#3)
1/4 liter Duc eater

August 28, 2007, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguyGS
i think a rag between the 2x4 and the sidewall might cure the 'chewing up'. good luck
brilliant. target fixation strikes during maintenace as well, apparently. how did i not think of that one... lol
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

August 28, 2007, 06:50 AM

haha, no worries...happens to me all the time
Unread
  (#5)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

August 28, 2007, 06:55 AM

Yes you should hear 2 pops and you can look at the tire next to the rim and see if it is even all the way around. Break the bead of the side you suspect not done and lube up and retry!

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

August 28, 2007, 07:06 AM

First let me rccomend the Harbor Freight bead breaker. Second you may not alway hear 2 pops. Check for uniformity around the bead, spin the wheel and make sure it is not out of round, over inflate it and check for leaks around the bead with a soapy water. You should be fine usually if a bead does not seat properly it is easy to see.
Unread
  (#7)
Got my Permit

August 28, 2007, 01:00 PM

My most recent tire change (back in Mar) I had the same thing happen while trying to seat the front tire. I heard only 1 pop, but the bead looked fine all the way around the rim. After a few more attempts to seat it (air pressure and lots more lube), I assumed both beads had set and maybe they popped at the same time. I was just careful riding around on the front tire at first, but I haven't had any problems since.

han