DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 499
3 members and 496 guests
GRN96WS6, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Why don't bikes have CVTs?
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Why don't bikes have CVTs? - October 16, 2007, 03:55 PM

The best arguement so far for no belt drives is the ability to change the gearing. Why hasn't some smart manufacturer developed an extremely variable continously variable transmission for a motorcycle application?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Stercus accidit

October 16, 2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter
The best arguement so far for no belt drives is the ability to change the gearing. Why hasn't some smart manufacturer developed an extremely variable continously variable transmission for a motorcycle application?
I dont know why they dont have one, would you really want that on a bike? I like being able to decide how long to hold a gear, if I'm hauling ass I want to hold a gear till redline and when I'm not i can shift up half way there, would a CVT let me do that?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Harvey_TT600  
Unread
  (#3)
Curiouser and curiouser

October 16, 2007, 04:11 PM

My Burgman has a CVT. It isn't exactly quick off the mark.

Cheers

2004 Ducati ST3
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

October 16, 2007, 04:12 PM

If a scooter is a bike then CVT's are in bike.

Didn't Honda have a bike with the HondaMatic in it?
Unread
  (#5)
Lucky to be alive.

October 16, 2007, 04:13 PM

My answer from the other thread: CVTs are horribly inefficient. Especially belt/chain drive setups. Most of the newer CVT technologies (i.e. Nissan's toroidal design) can't handle the power or RPM of a crotch rocket engine, nor the cold temperatures seen in the U.S. Not only that, CVTS are still (for the most part) complicated and unproven designs, with the exception of snowmobile applications.

Travis
1995 YZF 600 R
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ProDarwin  
Unread
  (#6)
Curiouser and curiouser

October 16, 2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space
If a scooter is a bike then CVT's are in bike.

Didn't Honda have a bike with the HondaMatic in it?
Yeah, back in the 70's, maybe even 80's the Honda Hawk Hondamatic. I always wanted one of those. What do the Ridleys use?

Cheers

2004 Ducati ST3
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

October 16, 2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyJay
Yeah, back in the 70's, maybe even 80's the Honda Hawk Hondamatic. I always wanted one of those. What do the Ridleys use?
Here is your answer

Quote:
ENGINE Manufacturer (MOR) Ridley™ Configuration 90° V-Twin Displacement 44ci/738cc Cooling System Aid Compression Ratio 8.5:1 Valves Per Cyclinder 2 Starter Electric Exhaust Type Muffled/Straight Lubrication Pressure RPM @ 60MPH 3450 Spark Plug RC12YC DRIVE SYSTEM Transmission Type Automatic CVT Primary Drive Kevlar & Rubber Belt Final Drive Belt
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

October 16, 2007, 04:46 PM

I was looking around for them. None of them are really "good". I don't like them in cars either. It seems we're missing a well designed one. They need to give you control of the the ratios directly - not 6 choices of ratios - keep it infinitely variable. They should change the ratios with the left wrist so you can hold or change the ratio as you see fit like a manual transmission.
Unread
  (#9)
Tough guy

October 16, 2007, 10:05 PM

Aprilia Mana 850 http://www.aprilia.com/magazine_dettaglio.asp?id=1278
- Fully automatic mode (Autodrive): Sophisticated electronics assume control over everything, and the CVT transmission keeps the engine running at maximum torque speed for optimum pickup and acceleration. The Sportgear transmission offers a choice of three mappings:
Touring: for minimum consumption and maximum usability,
Sport: for top performance with blistering acceleration,
Rain: for use on wet or slippery roads
- Semi-Autodrive mode: it allows the rider only to change down independently. This is particularly useful for overtaking at maximum torque revs or for boosting engine braking when riding down a hill.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

October 17, 2007, 09:04 AM

It's not infinitely variable, but it sounds alright. Anyone drive one?
Unread
  (#11)
old fat and slow

October 17, 2007, 09:26 AM

honda uses them in several of their atv's and dodge also has one in one of their little cars. the one that replaced the neon i think.

MissS:no now!!!

bambam nope you said i have a few hours

MissS: I changed my mind

bambam: see MissS: well, you have a few hours

MissS: I'm a female, allowed to do it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to bambam  
Unread
  (#12)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

October 17, 2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDarwin
My answer from the other thread: CVTs are horribly inefficient. Especially belt/chain drive setups. Most of the newer CVT technologies (i.e. Nissan's toroidal design) can't handle the power or RPM of a crotch rocket engine, nor the cold temperatures seen in the U.S. Not only that, CVTS are still (for the most part) complicated and unproven designs, with the exception of snowmobile applications.
I'm not following this. CVTs can't handle the power of motorcycles (~180hp at the crank tops) but can handle the ~240+ power of Nissan's and Audi's with them?

They can't handle the cold weather and are unproven designs except for snowmobiles?

Something does not compute.
Unread
  (#13)
Meh

October 17, 2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDarwin
Interesting. Seems like Toyota has been putting them in basically all of their Hybrids to date with success and putting out quite a bit more HP than the 160 in a bike as well.
Unread
  (#14)
Eddie would go ...

October 17, 2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter
I was looking around for them. None of them are really "good". I don't like them in cars either. It seems we're missing a well designed one. They need to give you control of the the ratios directly - not 6 choices of ratios - keep it infinitely variable. They should change the ratios with the left wrist so you can hold or change the ratio as you see fit like a manual transmission.

Actually van Doorne desinged a pretty decent one...

best feature: same speed in reverse as forward!!!

made for some great reverse auto cross races....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.