DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 520
2 members and 518 guests
beatle, Leoallafila
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Will the warranty cover this problem?
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

Red face Will the warranty cover this problem? - November 21, 2008, 10:32 PM

I have a problem with my car windows and was wondering if anyone on here by chance knows much about car windows or car warrantys in general?

I currently own 2007 VW Jetta ( I got the car brand new and belive it comes with a 36k 3 year warranty)

A couple of months after owning the car I decided to get the windows tinted all around at LA Tint ( they did a very nice clean job ) .
After a year of having the tint on i got a ticket for it eventualy so I decided to try to take of the tint off on my own and take pictures before the court date showing that I had removed the tint . ( So I did remove the tint but found out later on that they usualy but 2 layers on !!! I have removed the dark layer of tint from all 4 windows and never got the time to remove the sticky layer of the windows ( which was not a smart choise ) anyhow shortly after that I had problems with my windows seeming like they did not want to go up and down very easy ..... of course i figured this was probably due to me trying to remove the tint on my own so i stoped trying to roll them up and down ....... till i got some time to take the car back to LA tint to have them remove the remaining layer ...

Problem

As i was driving my car last night i noticed my right front window had came down half way . I tryed bring it up but it didn't seem to work so i tryed moving it up manualy which made the problem even worse so now my window is all the way down and i have all that sticky layer on there .

So my question is will VW take care of this under the warranty or find out it was caused by me the owner and charge me 100 if not 1000+ to fix this problem ??? Any advise will be appreciated ... Hopefully someone on here works or know someone who works for VW ...

Thanks

Last edited by NinjaRider; November 21, 2008 at 10:36 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Bikeless... for now

November 21, 2008, 11:03 PM

Can you hear the window motor running? It may be a switch or even the motor. VW is known to have electrical problems. I would have the tint removed and then take it to VW, then they have to cover it.

My bike run's on snake oil.... thanks to BG.

'06 ZX-6R in blue
'93 Ninja EX500 (sold)
Unread
  (#3)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

November 21, 2008, 11:08 PM

Hmm I will have to check on that in the morning .. Thanks ..
Unread
  (#4)
Super Moderator

November 22, 2008, 01:28 AM

Uh no....I doubt it. There is a spray you can get to remove the glue.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

November 22, 2008, 07:13 AM

More than likely not. According to VW's website,
"Basic Limited Warranty
3 years / 36,000 miles (whichever occurs first) New Vehicle Limited Warranty. *Wear and tear items and adjustments excluded after initial 12 months / 12,000 miles (whichever occurs first)."
I believe they will consider the motor/regulator a wearable item. Its an easy way for them to get out of warranty. If they give you any trouble, shoot me a PM.

M.A.R.R.C. Cornerworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHiriser
It takes a special kind of crazy to stand on a corner/on track dodging motorcycles for free.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

November 22, 2008, 08:16 AM

I applaud the honesty of your post. We all screw up from time to time and you were up front about it.

So.... Take it to the dealer and let them know what happened, or fix it yourself and chalk it up as a lesson learned.
Unread
  (#7)
Licensed Rider

November 22, 2008, 08:52 AM

First: razor blade and soapy water to get the glue off it's not a second layer it's just the glue off the film.
Second: is the child safety button for the windows on? happens all the time if it is don't feel bad.
Third:Nobody in the aftermarket makes a regulator for an 07 but most likely this is the case they are a bad design form the factory I sell a metric shit ton of them for the older models.
Fourth: Your in chatilly go to Hometown Auto Care see Shawn or Buck and thell the JD from olympus sent you.buy the part from the dealer and have them put it in
Unread
  (#8)
SMB
sans motor bike

November 22, 2008, 06:26 PM

you're lucky that's all it was....my 99 jetta would DROP the two from windows into the door....

I dip my chicken strips in Chik-fil-a sauce
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

November 22, 2008, 07:01 PM

damn you should have never removed the tint you just gotta find a VW just like your and take a picture of the window.... or just pay the little $25 ticket.... it caries no points and to me its worth it to have tinted windows I cant stand regular windows I feel like I'm in a fish tank....I think I have payed like 3 or 4 of them.... you gotta pay to play and now your really gonna pay....
Unread
  (#10)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

November 22, 2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVJunkie View Post
More than likely not. According to VW's website,
"Basic Limited Warranty
3 years / 36,000 miles (whichever occurs first) New Vehicle Limited Warranty. *Wear and tear items and adjustments excluded after initial 12 months / 12,000 miles (whichever occurs first)."
I believe they will consider the motor/regulator a wearable item. Its an easy way for them to get out of warranty. If they give you any trouble, shoot me a PM.
They are talking about brakes, clutch, etc, not window motors.

If all of the tacky tint film is gone you should have no problem getting VW to fix the window motors, they will likely not fix it if the film is still on the windows. In all actuality this is not VW's responsibility since the issue came at your fault BUT the dealership will make money from your mistake. Take this all in to account before you tint your next car.

Personally, I would've just paid the tint ticket rather fighting it in court (if you had the option). $200+ tint > $75 tint fine(ticket + court costs).

-Ryan

Last edited by Dark; November 22, 2008 at 09:01 PM..