DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 472
4 members and 468 guests
Bunky, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Scot, Speed3
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
UPDATED VIDS...yamatick not fixed...
Unread
  (#1)
superdupernunu

UPDATED VIDS...yamatick not fixed... - March 27, 2011, 05:11 PM

UPDATE- 2 VIDEOS OF TICKING JUST ADDED

So my 05 R1 has had a pretty loud tick coming from the engine somewhere,
for as long as ive had it (3 years)
. I paid no attention to it as it had been dismissed by most yamaha enthusiasts as "just another R1 with the yamha tick". I've read that it could be my valves not being at the proper gaps, it could be the cam chain tensioner needing adjustment, it could be something lose that is shaking... or it could be nothing at all (dunno how a tick this loud is nothing but some just arent bothered by it).

so a couple weeks ago i stopped by a local bike shop and was talking to the owner for a while about fork work i am thinking of getting done. i figured that id ask him if he has ever heard of it and if he has any insight into the matter. he tells me that i need to drop my oil pan and clean out my oil pan strainer. apparently what happens is that clutch particles will clog the fine strainer and thus causing a drop in oil pressure throughout the motor. the ticking apparently comes from a valve that is attempting to circulate the oil back into the engine but is struggling to do so with a clogged strainer.

made sense to me so i figured i'd rip apart the bike a bit and see what i find.

well... after dropping the oil pan and pulling off the oil pan strainer, oil pipe and oil relief valve- i have found no obstructions whatsoever. no clutch particles, or any other type of particles of any kind actually. so i while i had it all apart i figure id spray and clean all those parts with carb cleaner and wipe them clean. currently im waiting for everything to dry and then i'll reinstall.

unfortunately i am not mechanically inclined enough to start messing with valves and/or cam chain tensioner so that may just be something that gets taken care of professionally either before or after this upcoming season.

this is the first time i have taken apart my bike to this degree so even though i didnt resolve the issue i was attempting to fix, it feels good getting dirty and spending some quality time with the old girl like this.

at least she'll get some new oil and i already flushed her coolant and added distilled water with just a bit of antifreeze in it.

rant over
Attached Files
File Type: wmv IMG_0786.wmv (4.87 MB, 5 views)
File Type: wmv IMG_0787.wmv (3.30 MB, 2 views)

let's f*cking rage!

Last edited by sasha00311; April 4, 2011 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: updated with 2 vids
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Road Capt.-Mohawk Ryderz

March 27, 2011, 08:07 PM

RnR does awesome work... kind of a trip from MD but worth it IMO
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
On vacation

March 27, 2011, 08:19 PM

I'll second RnR. Have your valves checked, I had the same problem on my Gixxer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#4)
Groping is a skill...

March 28, 2011, 12:50 AM

Yeah valves are kind of important and getting them checked would be a cautious move and put your mind at ease. I'll third RnR.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

March 28, 2011, 08:58 AM

Can you pinpoint were the tick is coming from? At the very top or on the side near the cam chain? How many miles and when was the last time you had the valves checked?

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#6)
superdupernunu

March 28, 2011, 10:53 AM

Yeh that is more than likely where I would take it, or Myers or Rams which are closer.
@Dodge- I actually haven't tried to detect the exact placement of the tick (yeh I know that's prolly the first thing I should have done) but I'll take a listen when I put her back together in a day or two.

I bought the bike w/ just under 4.5k miles and now has in the neighborhood of 12k miles.

As far as I've owned it, the valves or cam chain tensioner were never looked at or adjusted.

let's f*cking rage!
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

March 28, 2011, 10:04 PM

they all tick a bit
Unread
  (#8)
MSF Student

March 28, 2011, 11:00 PM

lucas oil
Unread
  (#9)
starbucks ADV rider

March 28, 2011, 11:20 PM

yep 04-06 R1 tick after all they have 20 valves... what oil are you running?
Unread
  (#10)
superdupernunu

March 29, 2011, 12:24 PM

Yeh I know of the infamous yamatick but I feel this might be a little more then the norm. I'll post a bid after I get it put back together and try to isolate the source of the noise.

Ive only ever put full synthetic into it... Amsoil, Mobil 4t, repsol (once)... Gonna use motul this go around

let's f*cking rage!
Unread
  (#11)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

March 30, 2011, 02:34 PM

I will only add one thing to this thread so take it a a grain of salt...

Just about everyone I talked to that took their 5 valve motor in for a valve adjustment only to throw a valve a few thousand miles later.

Unless it gets really bad I would just leave it alone. If the engine blows then lets swap in an 08 block.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#12)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

March 30, 2011, 02:55 PM

Did oil change lastnight, after change was done started bike and my ticking noise seemed louder than usual but most likely the same...I'm just going to ride it out, Have a track day on monday so will see how the new oil does in bike. was running Rotella t and giving mobil 1 a shot this time with pure one filter.
Unread
  (#13)
superdupernunu

March 30, 2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark
I will only add one thing to this thread so take it a a grain of salt...

Just about everyone I talked to that took their 5 valve motor in for a valve adjustment only to throw a valve a few thousand miles later.

Unless it gets really bad I would just leave it alone. If the engine blows then lets swap in an 08 block.
That's interesting.... Let's hope I don't need a new engine anytime soon

let's f*cking rage!
Unread
  (#14)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

March 30, 2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StpeteR1 View Post
Did oil change lastnight, after change was done started bike and my ticking noise seemed louder than usual but most likely the same...I'm just going to ride it out, Have a track day on monday so will see how the new oil does in bike. was running Rotella t and giving mobil 1 a shot this time with pure one filter.
Many recommend NOT running the gold box Pure One filter in a motorcycle since the filter element is much more dense and puts unnecessary stress on the oil pump. The regular silver boxed version will filter the oil perfectly fine without the added restriction.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#15)
Railing!

March 30, 2011, 07:19 PM

lol yami tick. swap the cct with a mcct ($40 part from APE and takes about 20 minutes and you don't even have to remove the valve cover - gotta have a good eye and faith in your measurements though ) and then check the valves. The valve check tool is $5 from any auto store - take your time, learn your bike, check the valves.

a shop will just rape you