DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 511
1 members and 510 guests
MPSniper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
1 Piece suit fitment
Unread
  (#1)
Chasing the dragon

1 Piece suit fitment - April 4, 2012, 09:34 PM

Hey all, so I found a deal on a brand new AGV 1 pc (size 44) on CL and bought it. It fit on the snug side but felt it would break in perfectly. Well my dumbass forgot to try it on with my back protector before buying. Did that tonight and my god...the top is tight.

No hot spots but I don't feel like I could eat a happy meal and still fit. That and my boys are parting ways like the yellow and green line at L'enfant...

So...just how much should I expect this thing to break in and stretch or should I just sell it and try again?

For reference, I am 6'3", 175lbs, slim build, wear a tailored down sz 44 jacket, and just long limbed...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Groping is a skill...

April 4, 2012, 10:01 PM

Man that's such a personal question. Honestly if you don't feel comfortable in the suit you're going to ride in then change it out. OR get it to LizzyLeathers and have her make some minor modifications to it to fit right.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Chasing the dragon

April 4, 2012, 10:15 PM

If I had any clue what a good fitting suit felt like or how suits broke in I'd be better off. Alas...this is my first suit....
Unread
  (#4)
Groping is a skill...

April 4, 2012, 10:29 PM

It should feel tight on your balls when you stand straight up and down. Should give you camel toe. The suit should force you to flare out your elbows a little and feel comfortable once you get into a tucked position on the bike. If its pulling on your chest, back, neck when you tuck then you need it looked at. Besides that it should fit snug with the protection on the elbows, knees, thighs, glutes, shoulders not moving around much.

2013 Victory Vision Tour

I grope suckaz!!! -
Unread
  (#5)
No more 1050 :(

April 4, 2012, 11:28 PM

You can wear it in the shower then go for a ride... this will help the leather form to you. Just like stomping through puddles in new boots.

When I was buying a suit I was told get it as tight as possible without restricting movement... FWIW I'm 5'10, 180ish and wear a 40. In retrospect I probably should have gotten a 42, it is a little too tight. I might try selling/ trading this one sometime in the not so distant future.
Unread
  (#6)
Elite Racing

April 5, 2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz1050 View Post
FWIW I'm 5'10, 180ish and wear a 40.

I'm 5'10" and about 185-190 (depending on the day of the week) and my 46 Teknic is tight on me in the armpits.

To the OP, please be aware that different manufacturers suits are going to fit differently.

I think AGV's are cut on the big side.

I heard that Dainese are on the slim side.

I believe Teknic are pretty close to "usual" sizing.

Not sure about some of the others, though.

Just try on as many different suits as you can. Ask your friends, as fellow m/c peeps who have suits.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
Unread
  (#7)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

April 5, 2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress
Man that's such a personal question. Honestly if you don't feel comfortable in the suit you're going to ride in then change it out. OR get it to LizzyLeathers and have her make some minor modifications to it to fit right.
+1 on Lizzy. She's adding Velcro and patching the knee of my pants since I drug knee for the first time before I had pucks

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

April 5, 2012, 08:16 AM

Suit sizing is about as useless as regular clothing sizing. You really have to try stuff on and get a really good idea how a particular brand fits.

I've also tried suit brands where none of their sizes fit me. My thighs wouldn't fit in a 40 and 42/44 were just too long and upper body too roomy.

Suit is supposed to fit snug but comfortable when you are on a bike, obviously. It seems like your suit is close enough that you can stretch it out in the shower, as mentioned above.
Unread
  (#9)
Chasing the dragon

April 5, 2012, 12:44 PM

So, who wants to let me try on their suit? Or point me to a place locally that actually stocks them.

I think my torso is gonna kill me with this particular suit. The bottom is tight but not cutting circulation. The back protector I have isn't the greatest so if/when I upgrade I will be totally SOL. Also when I rode around my neighborhood without the protector I still didn't feel like I was in control of my bike, I couldn't maneuver, though the suit does need to be broken in.

I'm thinking of saying screw it and run a 2 pc for now. It'll be for track days FYI.

More gas, less brake
Unread
  (#10)
Groping is a skill...

April 5, 2012, 01:18 PM

Go to Colemans and try on the suits they have there. Their gear department is very helpful and the only Coleman related place I'd spend money on.

2013 Victory Vision Tour

I grope suckaz!!! -
Unread
  (#11)
GDMFSOB

April 5, 2012, 06:18 PM

I think all the sizing is f'ed up. I'm 6'1" @ 180-185 and have a 44 AGV and had to get it modified a bit. Took in the torso and hips a bit. The legs are a tad long, but no big deal. From the nape of the neck to the crotch is spot on. If the OP is 6'3" I can only imagine what little ballroom is in that suit.
edit: there is this one FS: Alpinestars Carver 1 piece Suit/Black/Size 46

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#12)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

April 5, 2012, 09:50 PM

If you are that worried, sell the suit. Go on WERA.com. Contact Barnacle Bill. Have him build a custom suit for you. Won't be as power ranger flashy as other suits. But it will be rock solid, fit, and last. He does excellent work and is great to deal with from all accounts I've ever heard. He can lead you through taking the measurements, and then send you a suit that fits like a glove.

Or you could get the cheaper suit off the rack, have seams blow apart, and get rashed anyway.

That being said, evidently I was perfectly sized to fit some of the more shamu sized off the rack models. It should be snug but not tight and certainly not restricting your movement. And yes, I've blow out seams in my suits before. Been lucky for the most part. But a loose suit will move/rotate and generally give a light rash injury. Nothing major, just annoying.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg