DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 540
5 members and 535 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, Heist, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
2 jackets...
Unread
  (#1)
idiot

2 jackets... - June 18, 2008, 01:17 AM

So I went to Cycles USA in Silver Spring and tried on some jackets a few weeks back. Found a jacket that I liked and came back about a week later to buy it. I had thought that the jacket I had been looking at was this one: http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/leather_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/blaster_4_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html.

I had thought that the jacket came in a tall size when I was looking at them and I'm almost positive I remember it as a Joe Rocket. But he tells me that the only jacket that come in tall was this one: http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/leather_jackets_and_pants/first_gear/hammer_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html.

But I figured I just was being an idiot as I usually am so I quickly try on the first gear jacket to see if it fits again and special order it. Come back a week later to pick it up and put it on again at home just to see how it feels. I got it in a large and I'm 6'2 and around 160, I'm really skinny. The jacket feels like it's going to ride up big time when I'm on my bike as it barely gets to the top of my waist when I'm standing up straight.

So my question is, which jacket would you recommend, and would that fit with the First Gear feel and be bad for riding? I really don't know how far the jacket is supposed to reach on your torso.

Sorry, but I'm new to riding and don't have much to go off of other than the salesman.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Derpentine Dealer

June 18, 2008, 01:57 AM

My problem with the Blaster is that there is a lot of textile in it. I don't trust it to hold up in an accident. The Superego has a zipper running all through the jacke that is going to be a weak point of you go down. Didn't like that one either. Was close to pulling the trigger on the first gear when I found an Alpinestars jacket. All leather, no BS zippers, great jacket. I would definitely go Astars again for a leather jacket. You can order more than one size to try on from newenough and then send back what doesn't fit.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#3)
idiot

June 18, 2008, 12:41 PM

Thanks, what Alpinestars jacket was it?
Unread
  (#4)
Derpentine Dealer

June 18, 2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonballGB
Thanks, what Alpinestars jacket was it?
Good question, I don't actually know. Bought it from a guy on the board. I'll check to see if it's identified on the labels anywhere. I have been down in it once though, taking advantage of both the CE elbow armor and upgraded back protector insert. Love the jacket a lot.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#5)
idiot

June 18, 2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude
Good question, I don't actually know. Bought it from a guy on the board. I'll check to see if it's identified on the labels anywhere. I have been down in it once though, taking advantage of both the CE elbow armor and upgraded back protector insert. Love the jacket a lot.
Ah, I think you're talking about the MX-1 everyone is raging about on the boards. I might pick it up from motoneko but I don't want to order the wrong size since it's not returnable (closeout).
Unread
  (#6)
Derpentine Dealer

June 18, 2008, 03:18 PM

Nope, not the MX-1. That I'm sure of. It's a real no-frills jacket that I've tried to id before but haven't seen. Might have been discontinued. It's most similar to the current Barcelona.

I would go with something you can try on and send back if it doesn't fit. A few more dollars is worth getting one you're happy with.

Last edited by OrangeShirtDude; June 18, 2008 at 03:25 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
Derpentine Dealer

June 18, 2008, 09:41 PM

Found it. It's a Stunt. They changed the design now with the Stunt2. Here's the original thread with a couple photos attached within:

Alpinestars 2pc leather suit