DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 183
2 members and 181 guests
2blueyam, MPSniper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
actual helmet protection
Unread
  (#1)
Spectroscopist/adventurer

Question actual helmet protection - January 9, 2007, 08:38 PM

Is there anywhere I can find objective data on who makes the helmet that will best protect my head? I'm going to be buying one in the next year or so, and I want to buy a good one.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
( * )|( * )

January 9, 2007, 08:44 PM

hum, try a search...there was a discussion about this and someone pointed out some resources.

I know Suomy is the only helmet to also pass the British standard of testing which is supposed to be pretty tough.

Aside from that...from what some of the articles said "most" helmets offered similar protection so the price was related to NAME, features, and weight.

I've always gone with Shoei...if I switch I will move to Suomy.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#3)
Former Rock Star

January 9, 2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
hum, try a search...there was a discussion about this and someone pointed out some resources.

I know Suomy is the only helmet to also pass the British standard of testing which is supposed to be pretty tough.

Aside from that...from what some of the articles said "most" helmets offered similar protection so the price was related to NAME, features, and weight.

I've always gone with Shoei...if I switch I will move to Suomy.
+1 on Suomy using
British standards testing which is much tougher also go to Arai's website and look
at there data.. I'll personally only buy Arai and maybe a Suomy down the road. Shoei
is great also they just don't fit my head as well. Kudos for not skimping on a cheap
$200 helmet thats not hand crafted.

"there can't be 2 number 1's, that'd be 11!"
~Eric
(The Irish Guy) R.I.P
Unread
  (#4)
Contributes nothing

January 9, 2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear_F4i
Kudos for not skimping on a cheap
$200 helmet thats not hand crafted.

oh son of a bitch, not this again There is NO, absolutely NO proof that Arai helmets protect any better that a Scorpion, KBC, HJC, etc that has passed the same standards. In fact, the article published in Motorcyclist last year gives some weight to the exact opposite, that Arai helmet tested actually didn't protect as well because it transferred far more G forces to the dummy's "head" than the cheaper DOT approved helmets. Stop drinking the kool-aid, you're paying for supposed higher technology which results in better liners or lighterweight, etc, but NOT more or less protection.

-Craig

Confusing the issue, since before you were ugly.

Woody: i'd probably bang her if she didn't look like a man

spud: yeah, i was checking out dicks
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to yzl337  
Unread
  (#5)
You meet the nicest

January 9, 2007, 10:11 PM

This is the info you need. Long article but enlightening.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...helmet_review/

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#6)
( * )|( * )

January 9, 2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKDBLD
This is the info you need. Long article but enlightening.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...helmet_review/
That's the one I was thinking of but could not recall who posted it...I thought it was you but didn't bother to search.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#7)
Ling Long

January 10, 2007, 12:01 AM

Friends don't let friends ride Snell...

Shark FTW

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#8)
Invictus Dominans Forma

January 10, 2007, 12:54 AM

Two of my VEMAR helmets are ECE and DOT, and the third one is BMS (THe UK's version of DOT.). I agree with the above; fawk Snell...!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FOR SALE
Unread
  (#9)
Signed up for Track Days!

January 10, 2007, 06:46 PM

most helmets all pass the same tests, price comes down to other features. Ride with an arai for an hour then put an hjc on that will tell you why one costs more. My personal preferences are Shark and Arai. shoei makes some nice lids too and the Agv is very similar. Suomy is an Arai clone, has really good graphics but I prefer the arai for better quality.
Unread
  (#10)
Meh

January 10, 2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzl337
oh son of a bitch, not this again There is NO, absolutely NO proof that Arai helmets protect any better that a Scorpion, KBC, HJC, etc that has passed the same standards. In fact, the article published in Motorcyclist last year gives some weight to the exact opposite, that Arai helmet tested actually didn't protect as well because it transferred far more G forces to the dummy's "head" than the cheaper DOT approved helmets. Stop drinking the kool-aid, you're paying for supposed higher technology which results in better liners or lighterweight, etc, but NOT more or less protection.
+++++1. Most of the well known==expensive brands faired worse in the average G's testing. I remember that issue some years ago.

Certainly Arai is probably better on wind noise and comfort features but that doesn't mean shit when it comes to protecting your nugget.
Unread
  (#11)
Spectroscopist/adventurer

January 11, 2007, 10:12 PM

Hmm. What is a recommended helmet for comfort and quiet then?
Unread
  (#12)
You meet the nicest

January 11, 2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireclown
Hmm. What is a recommended helmet for comfort and quiet then?
One that fits well. You need to try them on. Quiet is a functon of more than just helmet design. The shape of your ears, type of bike (wind screen) how tall you are. That's why it's hard to get a straight answer on what the quietest helmet is. I must have megaphone ears because all 7 of the helmet brands I've used seem loud to me (includes Arai). Ear plugs FTW

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#13)
unapologetic

January 11, 2007, 10:42 PM

everybody is gonna have their own opinion, bro. The question you have to ask is, how much $ you got to spend?
I've had Arai, HJC, Shoei, Scorpion, the list goes on. I have an Arai Quantum shaped melon and I raced last year and the year before with one. This year I've been given a Scorpion EXO-400 and an EXO-700 from Fairfax Cycles. I can't tell a difference in a fit from the Arai, it seems right on, but the Scorpions' are both much more vented in the right places than anything I've ever worn before. In fact, if it's cold out, the EXO-700 gets so much air in front of your face it can tear-up my eyes! Not good! I'm looking forward to seeing how cool it can stay in the heat around here this summer.

like I said, figure on how much to spend, and figure on getting something that fits you properly!

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid