DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 191
7 members and 184 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya, gvr4wd, Sal_the_man, Scot, Slider, tpadden
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Anyone else have a GT-Air helmet?
Unread
  (#1)
Signed up for Track Days!

Anyone else have a GT-Air helmet? - March 2, 2014, 05:25 PM

I've had one for a few months now. The reviews (both professional and customer) say that it's a very quiet helmet. I would agree, except there is this very low pitched rumble that is actually very loud, I can barely hear the engine over it. This starts at around 30mph and just gets louder as I increase speed. I do wear earplugs.

The noise seems to be generated by air deflecting off my upper chest and into the bottom of the helmet. When I block this air, there is actually very little wind noise, and it's more like I would expect from the reviews. I do have the chin curtain in.

Does anyone else have this issue? If so, did you do anything to correct it? I feel like I need to get a thick piece of cloth and somehow attach it to where the chin curtain is. I like everything else about the helmet and, from what I can tell, if it wasn't from this noise due to under-the-chin turbulence it would be almost a perfect helmet for me.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Eddie would go ...

March 2, 2014, 06:25 PM

Iinstead of messing with a piece of cloth you can get a product like the Windjammer:

Amazon.com: WINDJAMMER 2 "REDUCES WIND NOISE" fits all Full Face Helmets. The original often copied !: Health & Personal Care Amazon.com: WINDJAMMER 2 "REDUCES WIND NOISE" fits all Full Face Helmets. The original often copied !: Health & Personal Care
Amazon.com: WINDJAMMER 2 "REDUCES WIND NOISE" fits all Full Face Helmets. The original often copied !: Health & Personal CareAmazon.com: WINDJAMMER 2 "REDUCES WIND NOISE" fits all Full Face Helmets. The original often copied !: Health & Personal Care

or the NoJ quiet rider:

NOJ Quiet Rider - webBikeWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.

Last edited by Dutch; March 2, 2014 at 06:28 PM..
Unread
  (#3)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

March 2, 2014, 06:42 PM

Sell it and get an Arai. I bought one also and am very unimpressed.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#4)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

March 3, 2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
Sell it and get an Arai. I bought one also and am very unimpressed.
I've worn Arai's for years and if there is one thing that they are not, its quiet. Supposedly their new Defiant line does a lot to improve hind noise and buffeting.

I say if you like the helmet, dont sweat the noise. any helmet that has good airflow is going to be loud. Wear ear plugs. Quiet or not, earplugs are a must IMO

"I like my motorcycles like my women....foreign, lightweight and naked"

Last edited by Gmoney675; March 3, 2014 at 12:27 PM..
Unread
  (#5)
Signed up for Track Days!

March 3, 2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmoney675 View Post
I say if you like the helmet, dont sweat the noise. any helmet that has good airflow is going to be loud. Wear ear plugs. Quiet or not, earplugs are a must IMO
This is with the vents closed btw. Open or closed it doesn't make a difference. The noise is purely generated by air deflecting off my upper chest and going into the bottom of the helmet.

I agree with the earplug statement.

Tags
gt-air, gtair, helmet noise, shoei