DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 625
2 members and 623 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Ex-racer TURNED Post Whore

January 7, 2003, 08:13 AM

OK

SO now that I have all the slider info I need. The next question is BACK PROTECTORS.

I want one seperate from a suit..that i can wear even with my jacket. That straps onto your body..or is that not wise? I am willilng to get one that goes in the vanson but it has to be EXTRA small since I am smaller then your average rider.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Honda Cbr600RR NESBA #135
"Your anger makes me Happy"
Ambivalent? Welllll, yes and no.
You are about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to KatiesGSXR600m Send a message via AIM to KatiesGSXR600m Send a message via MSN to KatiesGSXR600m  
Unread
  (#2)
Wing nut

January 7, 2003, 08:26 AM

Katie,

I got the Vanson back protector (4 plate) when I got my custom jacket last month. It seems to work ok for the jacket. I think that a separate protector like the Bohn would provide better coverage/protection. Bohn makes a back protector that is 20.5" long and 18" wide - I think that is the smallest. I plan on having a one piece made in the spring and will probably go with a separate back protector. You can check out www.actionstation.com/bohn.html. Has the available styles and a sizing chart.

Tom

- Don't Dream It, Do It! -
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to NegativeGs  
Unread
  (#3)
Site ADMIN

January 7, 2003, 08:32 AM

Katie, i need to get one too, so let me know what you find out.

Thanks

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#4)

January 7, 2003, 08:40 AM

smallest good quality one I found

the other one...the carbon 6 plate...looks bulky and not as "hightech" I have to go home and measure the vanson one I have...
Alex, what do you need? Something smaller, bigger, what?

[Edited on 1/7/2003 by KatiesGSXR600m]

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to KatiesGSXR600m Send a message via AIM to KatiesGSXR600m Send a message via MSN to KatiesGSXR600m  
Unread
  (#5)
Site ADMIN

January 7, 2003, 08:56 AM

Umm nothing too expensive. I just need a decent one to go inside my joe rocket suit.

I may just pick one up at MFI since i get a discount there.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#6)
MSF Student

January 7, 2003, 09:10 AM

Bohn gets a lot of attention. I think they also sell a "cruiser" model or somesuch which might be good for a street rider. Helimot (in addition to being a brand in their own right, they're the importer for Held gloves in the U.S.), Vanson, AGV - all the major leather manufacturers sell their own branded back protectors. They're all world's better than what was available even just a few short years ago. Like the armor in leathers themselves, you'll find much argument over hard vs. soft plating. Most models have some combination of both.

The only one I have personal experience with is the Dainese model which came with my suit. I like it for the attributes you mentioned, Katie - relatively thin (needs to be to fit in my suit) and it's worn separately from the suit itself. I (cough) have track tested it twice, both high sides - one low speed (~45mph) and one high speed (~85mph). Worked well on both those occasions...

Jeff

GSX-R1000
R1200GS
K1200RS
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Dan
Licensed Rider

January 7, 2003, 11:09 AM

Hey Katie. I have the Air Back by Spidi and really like it. I crashed in it last week and although the crash really did not test the back protector specifically I think it is one of the most protective ones out there and would not ride without it. Much more advanced than the standard one that came with my Vanson suit. Plus it's really trick looking although I don't know about the Box it comes packaged in. (completely nude man wearing only the back protector) as if they were marketing them for women....err woops. Well anyway check them out. This is a picture http://www.spidi.it/spidi-jsp/safety.jsp and you can get them @ www.kneedraggers.com Good Luck, Dan
Unread
  (#8)

January 7, 2003, 12:02 PM

DAN

is that you

I am glad you are ok! I heard about it and couldn't believe it.

Anyway it's so good to see you posting.

I will look into spidi..thanks funny about the box..hahah..can't wait to get it...wooohooo!!

wow..ok...

[Edited on 1/7/2003 by KatiesGSXR600m]

Unread
  (#9)
Dan
Licensed Rider

January 7, 2003, 12:21 PM

[quote:04d7e5edfa]DAN

is that you

Anyway it's so good to see you posting.[quote:04d7e5edfa]

Thanks Katie make sure if you get the Spidi to order a small they have different sizes.

Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

January 7, 2003, 03:56 PM

The Spidi looks pretty cool. I chose the Bohn becasue it also covers your scapula and kidneys with pads. Several studies have shown that shoulder injuries are prevalent in two-wheeled accidents so I wanted something that would give me some measure of protection.

Packaging isn't quite as revealing...thank god!

PAY UP LEE!

I've never had a lack of self confidence I wasn't sure I could overcome.
www.twodogsracing.net
WERA #521 CCS #521 '
03 R6 '00 R1 '02 R1 '04 R1 (coming February)
'02 GRC GP R1 Replica pocketbike (read monster)
Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

January 7, 2003, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Umm nothing too expensive.

Spud, get whatever you think is the BEST not the most affordable. This IS important!

PAY UP LEE!

I've never had a lack of self confidence I wasn't sure I could overcome.
www.twodogsracing.net
WERA #521 CCS #521 '
03 R6 '00 R1 '02 R1 '04 R1 (coming February)
'02 GRC GP R1 Replica pocketbike (read monster)
Unread
  (#12)
Officially Addicted to Posting

January 7, 2003, 04:09 PM

Yeah I've decided to get the Bohn ProRacer SystemCool, which is just like the ProRacer, but cooler I think that's actually the one that is in speednuts message. Bad thing about it for you Katie is that it doesn't come in a small enough size.

It costs a bit more than the ProRacer, but I like cool. Plus I found at least one website that is selling the cool air one for the same price others are asking for the regular ProRacer.
http://www.whitebuffaloracing.net/bohn.htm#CoolAir

They also sell the ProRacers cheaper than most, although I think Kneedraggers has them beat (Haven't seen the cool air one on Kneedraggers yet though)

Also came across this website that has backprotectors for women, although I can't honestly say that it's not the same stuff that's on the regular Bohn site, but at least it shows you which ones may come in smaller sizes.

http://www.msbohnarmor.com

[Edited on 1/7/2003 by rddy]
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#13)

January 8, 2003, 05:40 PM

Quote:
[quote:2e02e9ce47]DAN

is that you

Anyway it's so good to see you posting.[quote:2e02e9ce47]

Thanks Katie make sure if you get the Spidi to order a small they have different sizes.
Dan, What size do you have if you don't mind my asking?

Unread
  (#14)
Dan
Licensed Rider

January 9, 2003, 02:42 PM

Wow
, Pretty loaded question. Mine's a XL and although I'm told it fits just about right when you are looking at it on me I could have gotten away with a Large so I would definitely go with a Medium or Small if you can find one. This page lists the sizes. Lots of places don't even have a choice they just carry the large. http://<a href="http://www.parts411....Page_ID=11</a>
They may all end up being too big though, the medium is the smallest size I have seen on the web and it is rated for 55-62 inches. There is another model on Spidi's page too.
Unread
  (#15)
Railing!

March 4, 2003, 12:42 PM

www.newenough.com has some teknic back protectors for really cheap.. check out the closeout section.