DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 495
4 members and 491 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya, GRN96WS6, HenryW
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Back protectors
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

Back protectors - July 11, 2007, 07:37 PM

I am probably going to do the MARRC school on August 24th and I need to get a back protector. Since I need to get a new one, I'm looking for some insight from people who have had the suspender type and the complete vest type. I'd like to hear pro's and con's about both. Thank you.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Loves Sporking

July 11, 2007, 07:53 PM

I raced for years with a Technic plated one. Loved it and it kept me safe. Actually 'used' it on 9 occasions. Not only did I never hurt my back, but the reinforcement was reassuring to me. Recently bought a Spidi 'honeycomb' style. I taught the MARRC school with it July 6th.

The Spidi waffle protector can be rolled, flexed, bent, etc. While I'm sure it dissipates energy well, it seemed to be less protection from a sharp object like a footpeg. Plus, if I'm hitting a tirewall at speed (happened in 2005 in turn 9 at Summit), I think I prefer something on my back that can't be rolled-up and placed in my glove compartment.

Halfway thru the day, I switched back to my old Technics. It was just as comfortable, but the reassurance of having solid plates goes a long way for me. They're about half the cost of a honeycomb style, in case you didn't know.

I haven't tried a vest, but they look impressive in the pics I've seen.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#3)
( * )|( * )

July 11, 2007, 10:24 PM

I've been using the Icon and I've had a couple of falls and it absorbed the shock well. I didn't slam into anything but I've rolled and was completely fine. By no means am I saying it's the best or anything but so far I'm happy with it.
I like the fact that the material is pretty thick which does mean it will keep you warm
In addition, it has pads on not only the spine but ribs, shoulder, and chest. I've seen a lot of racers using them as well in CCS.

Just my input on the Icon backprotector.

Contact Sree at Motonekoparts.com for some prices and tell him you're a .net member...he'll hook you up on whatever back protector you decide to go with.

BTW...it's not a bad idea to use them on the street for the more spirited rides as well

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#4)
noise

July 11, 2007, 10:26 PM

I swear by Alpinestars Tech-race since I am still among the walking after hitting a rock wall last year at speed with my back and leg. Tibia shattered like china, broken femur but only suffered 2 lower cracked vertebraes. I am now using the SP vest which is the new version of the Tech race with the added bonus of a chest protector and fits nice and snug. It only flexes in the correct direction, the plates does not allow it to flex backwards.

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."

Last edited by static; July 11, 2007 at 10:28 PM..
Unread
  (#5)
Officially Addicted to Posting

July 12, 2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
member...he'll hook you up on whatever back protector you decide to go with.

BTW...it's not a bad idea to use them on the street for the more spirited rides as well
Or even the not so spirited rides. They won't help you maintain a "I'm hardcore, gear is for chumps" profile, but they aren't uncomfortable and can save you.

I have a Bohn back protector. Haven't really put it to a serious test, but I am sure that it has helped keep me from even getting bruised or hurt at all a few times.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#6)
opossum puncher

July 12, 2007, 08:45 AM

Bohn and Knox are reputed to be the best.

I have one from velocity, STmaven on .com is one of their reps, I bought it through their shop a little over a year ago.

I like the hard links it has, its not uncomfortable, but you do notice your riding it, and if you leave it too lose I feel it creep up my leathers and end up squirming to tuck it back down, after that it stays put.

http://www.highvelocitygear.com/

They give .com members $24 off the $99 price on their web page, so its $75.

http://www.highvelocitygear.com/prod...portbikes.html

If you have the $ buy quality. Just my $0.02

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#7)
Agitator

July 12, 2007, 08:51 AM

I have the bohn proracer one, and so far haven't had to test it, but its comfy, covers not only spine, but tailbone, kidney area and shoulder blades. I've worn Craigs carbon/kevlar series one, and it was equally comfortable

while the high end models will run you slightly more $$, I would suggest getting a protector that covers as much as possible, as best as possible, within the $$ you can spend, while fitting under your leathers w/o restricting motion. (Basically, same rules for a helmet or any other kind of gear)

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#8)
opossum puncher

July 12, 2007, 08:56 AM

http://www.highvelocitygear.com/prod...ortbikes1.html

Back and chest...

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#9)
Street Bonk Bum.....

July 12, 2007, 09:13 AM

the A* one is very comterable but i havnt had the chance to "test" it out but
Unread
  (#10)
Crap, where'd the LT go?

July 17, 2007, 01:20 PM

I have the Aplinestars and its great! If I could do it again, though, i'd buy the bohn. Never crash tested either, but the Aplinestars is a pretty good standby. I like the hard shell to prevent piercing.

The Bohn protector makes me drool - anyone know if it gets in the way of their armored pants?

Oh, and before long you'll wear it every ride...

A nekkid one
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to turboLT  
Unread
  (#11)
Republicans for Voldemort

July 17, 2007, 01:32 PM

I use the Forcefield which is the only Level Two back protector (L2 is the EU higher standard). I have old back accident from my youth when I cracked 3 vertebrae - long since healed - but any thing previously cracked/broke is a risk - I wanted the best out there...

They are available here in the US - http://www.johnsonleather.com/forcef..._protector.htm

JR version - http://www.newenough.com/armor/back_...protector.html

For a comparision (it's old but worth a read) - http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/back-...tor/tpro-bohn/

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#12)
The last urrbendah

July 17, 2007, 01:34 PM

I have an Alpinstars as well and have tested it on a couple of occasions, so far with good results. I would like more kidney protection and may invest in something like a Bohn in the future.

I'm currently running a Bohn chest protector as well but have yet to test it. As you can imagine I'm not in a hurry to do so.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#13)
Ling Long

July 17, 2007, 01:36 PM

The teknic armor plated one has saved my spine on a number of occasions

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#14)
DAS BOOT

July 17, 2007, 01:42 PM

I have the ICON chest/ back protector. I had a not so fun wreck @ VIR and am sure I would have had some more broken bones if I wasn't wearing it...

Wow. Just..................wow.
Unread
  (#15)
I want to go Fast

July 17, 2007, 01:55 PM

I have a bohn as well and at first thought it looked to big but its actually comfortable and I like the idea of protecting tailbone.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to