DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 491
4 members and 487 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya, GRN96WS6, HenryW
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Before you buy that new helmet...
Unread
  (#1)
Burp

Before you buy that new helmet... - February 10, 2009, 09:43 PM

I know, I know, another damn helmet thread. But after having had to "use" two helmets in my time on (and off) of two wheels, you can't get too much info on saving the ole noodle. Below is an e-mail my old man sent me from a good friend of his:

Last year, sponsored by Motorcyclst Magazine, research of thousands of actual motorcycle accident data researchers discovered that helmets with shells hard enough to pass the double dart impact required by SNELL were less safe than DOT only and European standard helmets which do not pass SNELL.

A new test was developed to reflect the actual impacts commonly occuring in MC accidents and using modern newly developed sensor equipped crash dummies. DOT only and Euro helmets did well, but SNELL helmets transferred too much energy to the human head risking serious head injuries. HJC CL14 was rated one of the worst helmets and the $70.00 ZR1 helmet one of the best.

SNELL took a lot of heat over this and revised there standards for 2010. The new test described below corrects some of there flawed techniques. Motorcyclst Magazine reports the new standard does address the problem. My plan is to buy a 2010 later this year to replace my noisy ZIR. I would suggest any one with a M2005 or earlier SNELL helmet do the same or buy a DOT only or Euro helmet.

Direct from the SNELL website:

M2010 Time Line and Test Issues EBB, October 10, 2007 The M2010 Standard is now in its final form. There may be some editorial changes in the text before it is published in booklet form but the testing and other requirements will not be affected.

This standard introduces a change in the way helmets will be tested rendering M2010 and M2005 incompatible. It may be no surprise that some M2005 qualified helmets will not meet M2010 but, because of the changes, it is also highly likely that some helmets meeting M2010 will not meet M2005. Since M2005 and M2010 are not compatible, meeting M2010 requirements, of itself, will not qualify a helmet to be produced and distributed with M2005 labeling. Any M2010 helmet distributed with M2005 labeling must also have met requirements in M2005 testing. Furthermore, many manufacturers may require additional time to develop lines of M2010 headgear. For these reasons, the Foundation proposes a longer transition time between M2005 and M2010. M2010 will be introduced a year earlier than in previous revisions and M2005 will be discontinued a year later.

M2010 Introduction
Certification Testing starts............................ March 1, 2008
M2010 Labels Available............................... July 1, 2009
First M2010 Helmets Available for Sale....... October 1, 2009

M2005 Termination
Certification Testing ends.............................. June 30, 2011
M2005 Labels last available.......................... June 30, 2011
M2005 Production ends................................. March 31, 2012

Important Differences
Significant changes to impact testing - see below (couldn't paste the chart, sorry, i'm lazy)

Labeling - helmets must be marked with the largest and smallest appropriate head circumferences in centimeters.

Numbers of Samples - depending on the helmet’s intended size range; seven samples may be required for certification testing.
Model lines meeting M2010 might also be able to meet ECE 22-05 requirements and qualify for distribution and sale in Europe.

Impact Test Differences
The differences between M2010 and M2005 all stem from a reevaluation of impact test head forms. M2005 and previous standards required impact testing on head forms with an effective mass of 5.00 kg regardless of head form circumference. M2010 calls for impact testing on head forms for which the effective mass depends on head form size. M2005 invoked head forms meeting the mass and geometries specified in ISO Draft International Standard 6220, the same as those in the British Standards Institute 6658-1985 standard. This BSI 6658 standard was once mandatory for motorcycle helmets in England. M2010 calls out head forms matching the mass specifications in ECE 22-05, the current mandatory motorcycle helmet standard throughout Europe.

This reevaluation of head form mass is supported by a study conducted at the University of Washington by Dr. Randal Ching. Dr. Ching performed measurements on 15 cadaveric heads and found a strong correlation between head mass and circumference.

This correlation (Page 1 of 1 M2010 Time Line and Test Issues EBB, October 10, 2007) approximates a cubic mass versus circumference relationship and suggests that the ECE 22-05 mass specification would enable a more precise fit between the properties of Snell certified helmets and the needs of their wearers across a broad range of different head sizes.

Take it for what it's worth. I just bought my Shoei last season, so I have no plans of replacing it.

"Life's a journey, not a destination."

2006 Triumph Daytona 675
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
You meet the nicest

February 10, 2009, 09:56 PM

That's great news. I've been looking at helmets and they almost all say snell approved. Just what I don't want. Hopefully the new spec helmets will be out soon.

There's a thread from a year or two ago on this but it's easier to google than to search on this site. So here's a link to the original article. It's long but enlightening.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#3)
See the mouth and the eye

February 10, 2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKDBLD View Post
That's great news. I've been looking at helmets and they almost all say snell approved. Just what I don't want. Hopefully the new spec helmets will be out soon.

There's a thread from a year or two ago on this but it's easier to google than to search on this site. So here's a link to the original article. It's long but enlightening.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html
+1, thats a good article. I read it that last time you posted the link for it a couple months ago.

-Mark

2007 Yamaha RVI (sold, treat her nice Chris)

MARRC Cornerworker

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dv/dt  
Unread
  (#4)
done for now...

February 10, 2009, 10:06 PM

So does this mean that I can get that euro spec agv that i've wanted and can't get shipped here. This would make for a good argument.
Unread
  (#5)
Burp

February 11, 2009, 09:01 AM

Yeah I saw that original article( http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html ) thread, but I didn't see where it talked about the new Snell M2010 cert. Then again, I only did a quick read of the article, so my apologies if it's a re-post.

I think this is the first time I've posted at work.............. mannnn, things are slow, kinda' scarry.

"Life's a journey, not a destination."

2006 Triumph Daytona 675
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

February 11, 2009, 09:31 AM

Maybe I'll get one for my birthday. That e-mail says they'll hit shelves a scant 17 days before my 31st.