DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 510
1 members and 509 guests
MPSniper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Bell SOLFX Transition Shield
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

Bell SOLFX Transition Shield - June 27, 2012, 09:25 AM

So I went ahead and got the Bell SOLFX Transition Shield late last week and wanted to give you guys a taste of how it works. Its really awesome and I am glad I got it. No longer have to worry about changing shields if riding from day to night, and its gets relatively dark. I wouldn't say Dark Smoke tint, but more of an intermediate smoke. It adjusts really quickly to changing light conditions (approx 10 seconds, video below), and is pretty good about fogging up. Have so far ridden with it 3 times, and it is excellent. Matched with the Bell RS-1 and their easy shield change system, it goes on stupid fast. Pics and video below. Let me know if you have any questions.

Clear

Smoked

'06 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Mojito Anyone?

June 27, 2012, 09:30 AM

tiiiiiiiiiiiitte

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#3)
Groping is a skill...

June 27, 2012, 11:52 AM

Nice I ran it on my Akuma Phantom II CF until it got destroyed at the track. Now I got one for my Bell helmet as well. It makes life much easier. I wish arai cut a deal with them so that I can just wear that all the time

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Eddie would go ...

June 27, 2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
I wish arai cut a deal with them so that I can just wear that all the time
Most of the manufacturers I spoke with won't touch it due to the huge liability issues.

Yes they love the concept and execution but worry about that one idiot who wrecks at dusk and blames his shield for being too dark, too slow to clear etc and sues the beejesus out of them

Icon's prototype was even better, lawyers killed it.

You can thank the state of this Litigation Nation for not having more of these types of visors around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#5)
Groping is a skill...

June 27, 2012, 09:26 PM

Dayum didn't know that but makes sense in a nonsense way. I wonder if that's why Akuma stopped carrying them as well. That's some bullshit!

2013 Victory Vision Tour

I grope suckaz!!! -
Unread
  (#6)
Tough guy

June 27, 2012, 10:43 PM

I love mine too! I have considered purchasing a few spares in case they become unavailable.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#7)
Got my Permit

June 28, 2012, 12:38 PM

do you guys know of any local shops that stock these?
Unread
  (#8)
Licensed Rider

June 28, 2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezy View Post
do you guys know of any local shops that stock these?
I don't know of any local shops, but I got mine from RevZilla and also RidersDiscount has them in stock. They were unavailable for a long time due to demand, so once I saw them back in stock I snatched one up.

'06 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary
Unread
  (#9)
Stand Collector

June 28, 2012, 01:15 PM

that tight

899 Panigale
Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

July 7, 2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Most of the manufacturers I spoke with won't touch it due to the huge liability issues.

Yes they love the concept and execution but worry about that one idiot who wrecks at dusk and blames his shield for being too dark, too slow to clear etc and sues the beejesus out of them

Icon's prototype was even better, lawyers killed it.

You can thank the state of this Litigation Nation for not having more of these types of visors around.
A disclaimer and an indemnification sticker on the shield should take care of that.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Last edited by Heist; July 7, 2012 at 01:02 PM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

July 7, 2012, 01:35 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure I believe that story... I mean... they're helmet manufacturers. 1000s of people already crash wearing their stuff and any one of them could complain that it's because the helmet blocked their peripheral vision, or they got hurt badly because the helmet failed in some way or another... Plus, they already sell very dark tinted shields already. When I put one of the dark tinted ones on my head, I was surprised anyone can see a damn thing through that.
Unread
  (#12)
Eddie would go ...

July 7, 2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure I believe that story... I mean... they're helmet manufacturers. 1000s of people already crash wearing their stuff and any one of them could complain that it's because the helmet blocked their peripheral vision, or they got hurt badly because the helmet failed in some way or another... Plus, they already sell very dark tinted shields already. When I put one of the dark tinted ones on my head, I was surprised anyone can see a damn thing through that.
they lied to me

what can i say

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#13)
Railing!

July 15, 2012, 06:12 PM

Why doesn't an aftermarket company make shields like this for all brands of helmets? Does bell have rights to the technology?

2013 Hypermotard
1998 Superhawk
Unread
  (#14)
Groping is a skill...

July 15, 2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTViper View Post
Why doesn't an aftermarket company make shields like this for all brands of helmets? Does bell have rights to the technology?
no

2013 Victory Vision Tour

I grope suckaz!!! -
Unread
  (#15)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

July 15, 2012, 07:17 PM

What the hell is going on in the world? Audi and Hyundai are making great cars and Bell is cutting edge technology?That's not the world I grew up in!

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, it’s like this…A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven