DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 577
4 members and 573 guests
davidcycle, Deep, dubplaya, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
BELL Star...
Unread
  (#1)
noise

BELL Star... - June 24, 2009, 10:51 PM

Yes, a BELL helmet, when was the last time you wore a BELL helmet aside from possibly a bicycle?

Well, this is their premium offering racing helmet.

They really did think things thru!

Freakin vents like a DYSON vacuums. The faster you go the more it vents. Dare I say, IMHO, slightly more than the X-11? Slightly... There are plenty and the science is well thought out with how it vents. Adjustability of the vents is nice

Liner feels nice, we'll see how well it lasts after the miles are put on. Serious cavities for speaker placement which does CONTRIBUTE to wind noise! Talk about NOISE, I had to turn around after a mile and get my earplugs, it was so bad I got a headache. (Try to always wear your earplugs anyways, it'll save your hearing in the long run) At speed, you cannot CANNOT even hear your own thoughts!

ONLY down besides the noise is how the EPS absorber was cut out... Right where your temples are located, as least for me, the foam intrudes just enough to give me a whopping headache 1 hr into a ride so much so we had to pull over and let my head breathe for 15 mins.

The STAR comes with its own nice helmet bag with zip compartments for replacement cheek pads (yes, came with a replacement set), visor sock that velcro inside the bag and I believe a 5 year warranty.

Visors seem to be difficult to obtain depending on what you are after...weird?

It's got a nice metal lever that actuates a 2 stage "crack vent" and visor lockdown in case of a fall that you can easily handle with racing gloves.

Graphics are o.k., could be better... WHY is it that KBC and cheaper HJC helmets like the CS-15 have such kickarse graphics??? and the top helmet offering has mediocre?

Very aerodynamic design, at speed you can do a headcheck and not break your neck.

At full tuck is where you get the best venting, really moves air in and out!

GREAT deals on these too, I went one size down to proper fitment.

P.S. KANEDA, this will be serve as the canvas for the graphic design you helped me with

Cool thing, born on date is on the rear of the lid like the ones you see on vehicle batteries
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2999 (Small).JPG (51.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3000 (Small).JPG (54.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3001 (Small).JPG (52.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3002 (Small).JPG (71.5 KB, 27 views)

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."

Last edited by static; June 24, 2009 at 10:56 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

June 24, 2009, 11:59 PM

Venting vs quietness. You can have one or the other, but never both. Since you should be wearing earplugs every time you ride amyway, noise should not be an issue for any helmet.
Unread
  (#3)
MSF Student

June 25, 2009, 03:27 AM

I've been thinking about one of these, thanks for the review

2007 Shift Red R6...Stock for Now
GO HOKIES!!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to cool2seat  
Unread
  (#4)
SIN MC President

June 25, 2009, 07:16 AM

An educated choice! Glad someone is taking chances on new product review Now that I know which helmet you have I can make some draft drawings and mock something up a bit more appropriate.

#22 TOTNAC
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS MC

Unread
  (#5)
noise

June 25, 2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANEDA View Post
An educated choice! Glad someone is taking chances on new product review Now that I know which helmet you have I can make some draft drawings and mock something up a bit more appropriate.
SAHWEET! That would be awesome awesome! Thanks a bunch Myk!

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."