DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 556
4 members and 552 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
CALLING DODGE131...CALLING DODGE131--HELD
Unread
  (#1)
T.R.I.T.D.H

CALLING DODGE131...CALLING DODGE131--HELD - May 6, 2010, 12:22 PM

What is your opinion on the closure "system" (lol it's just one velcro strap) of this glove??

Held Namib...

I've been evaluating gloves lately. And I think it would be WISE to buy the BEST glove I could afford. Sure A*'s makes some very appealing gloves, but for a short cuff, it may not be the BEST. So I am asking you...

Most short gloves that I have see with this type of closure seem to fit loosely around the wrist. And probably just blow off in a crash at which point the glove is useless....

So what say you? I come to you for expert advice!!!!!

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

May 6, 2010, 01:25 PM

Yup just saw these today they seam nice but only armor is on the knuckles. It does have the velcro closure and extra pinky material. I think my buddy paid about 100 bucks so not to bad. The comp which is what I have has more protection and extends further down the wrist. It also has a very nice hard carbon fiber cushion on the out side wrist which I need since I have already broken my wrist before. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how much you value your wrist and hands.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#3)
Eddie would go ...

May 6, 2010, 01:29 PM

howbout smx2 air carbon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#4)
T.R.I.T.D.H

May 6, 2010, 01:32 PM

makes sense.

definitely not a RACE glove, but I'm trying to evaluate buying a "race" technology glove for the street with pointless bells and whistles versus a quality constructed glove such as Held, while spending $100-$150 on gloves.

Everyone raves about these gloves so I figure I'd give them a try but I'm still pulling more towards the alpinestars GPX.

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#5)
Traction Control

May 6, 2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
makes sense.

definitely not a RACE glove, but I'm trying to evaluate buying a "race" technology glove for the street with pointless bells and whistles versus a quality constructed glove such as Held, while spending $100-$150 on gloves.

Everyone raves about these gloves so I figure I'd give them a try but I'm still pulling more towards the alpinestars GPX.
PM incoming

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#6)
USSA

May 6, 2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
howbout smx2 air carbon:

this is what i has, feels good. Havn't tested them yet tho.

I Have Nothing To Contribute.

Chicks are like jobs...all the good ones are taken and they can't pay you enough to do the ones that are available.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArrrSV  
Unread
  (#7)
Ton Up!

May 6, 2010, 01:41 PM

You clearly have a hard on for the Helds. Consider others.

Waiting on these to get delivered. Will give you a verdict. You can even try em if you want

~Justin

FREE FITZ!!!!

1999 Suzuki SV650
1982 Kawasaki GPz550 : RIP 4/16/09
1971 Honda CB450 : SOLD!
Unread
  (#8)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

May 6, 2010, 01:42 PM

Found a pic of mine. These golve's are the best shorty's period. They are just like their full race gloves. Shorty's cost 250 full race cost 350. Best short cuff gloves I have ever owned.

www.RnRcycles.com

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#9)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

May 6, 2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked_Biker View Post
You clearly have a hard on for the Helds. Consider others.

Waiting on these to get delivered. Will give you a verdict. You can even try em if you want
There is a reason why people like great gloves. I used JR gloves one time and they are junk. bulky, bad fit, poor quality and cheap looking. Looked like a toy glove. GOTO a local race and look what most racers wear.

www.RnRcycles.com

Unread
  (#10)
Eddie would go ...

May 6, 2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
There is a reason why people like great gloves. I used JR gloves one time and they are junk. bulky, bad fit, poor quality and cheap looking. Looked like a toy glove. GOTO a local race and look what most racers wear.
Actually you should withhold that opinion for a while or maybe review it. Not saying they will be Held, but change is there.

Joe Rocket was bought by the Sullivan group a little while back. They are changing the focus of the gear towards more serious riders. Check out their stuff out their site, not the old models being dumped by discount shops.

They want to be associated with quality racing/riding gear. You should see their sponsorship in major racing events step up.

The new nano tech jacket/pants they sent me is pretty slick stuff, understated for JR as well.

http://www.joerocket.com/

Quote:
Unread
  (#11)
T.R.I.T.D.H

May 6, 2010, 02:13 PM

Sorry guys...I started 2 threads on gloves....lol...damn. I was confused.

Anyways the plan is to get my hands on the GPX gloves...They will ship to me today or tomorrow.

In the meantime if I can hook up with Salva, I can try on the S1 if they fit.

If neither glove is a NO GO. Then I will give the HELDS a chance. Right now I cannot spend $250 on gloves...well I could, just don't want to. BUT $130 was a reasonable price for a HELD glove...but it didn't have the technology on the glove that I wanted and it looked less "prepared" than the higher HELD gloves...

I'm just hoping the lower HELDS are superior than the middle Alpinestars. Anyways the guy at the shop told me he will not wear ANY a* gloves...only boots. And he only races. So I asked his opinion of choice and he said Technic Chicane Lightenings....I said I already have those...didn't tell him that they the first pair busted and sent them back and the second pair went to shit already...but it just shows that opinions are just that...an opinion.

Unread
  (#12)
T.R.I.T.D.H

May 6, 2010, 02:16 PM

PS...

If what you say about Joe Rocket is true...more power to them...but they are along the lines of ICON.

That being said, I own an ICON and JOE ROCKET Jacket....

I' ve only been in the riding game for about 4 years or so. MOST newer riders spring for less expensive, easier available gear (found at dealers and local shops) that is more flashy....and those companies market well. When you look at season riders, their gear is generally less flashy, more mundane (vanson, held)...EXPENSIVE as hell but it is QUALITY.

While I recognize this fact...I'm still in the stage where I can't just drop $$$$$ for gear. So I have to pray that SOME GEAR is better than NO GEAR...While still understanding that there is BETTER GEAR available.

peace.

Unread
  (#13)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

May 6, 2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Actually you should withhold that opinion for a while or maybe review it. Not saying they will be Held, but change is there.

Joe Rocket was bought by the Sullivan group a little while back. They are changing the focus of the gear towards more serious riders. Check out their stuff out their site, not the old models being dumped by discount shops.

They want to be associated with quality racing/riding gear. You should see their sponsorship in major racing events step up.

The new nano tech jacket/pants they sent me is pretty slick stuff, understated for JR as well.

http://www.joerocket.com/
Well we talked about this at the Spot and that jacket looked great. But with quality comes higher price. I would rather go with a company that has been making great gloves for over 20 years than with one that started last year or has been bought out. When and if they can prove that they make great gloves then maybe I will change but untill then HELD!

www.RnRcycles.com

Unread
  (#14)
T.R.I.T.D.H

May 6, 2010, 02:26 PM

^ damn that is a great point.

Dodge if you find out more about the HELD Namib...PM me.

specifically how tight the strap closes.

Unread
  (#15)
Eddie would go ...

May 6, 2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
Well we talked about this at the Spot and that jacket looked great. But with quality comes higher price. I would rather go with a company that has been making great gloves for over 20 years than with one that started last year or has been bought out. When and if they can prove that they make great gloves then maybe I will change but untill then HELD!
agreed. Joe Rocket has a huge battle to change their image. I'm trying to figure out how they will reshape opinions based on past shoddy gear...will take time...time will tell but in the meantime the more manufacturers that want to make good stuff, the better

Quote: