DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 193
5 members and 188 guests
GRN96WS6, Nobrains, Sal_the_man, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Cardo Scala G4
Unread
  (#1)
Signed up for Track Days!

Cardo Scala G4 - March 7, 2011, 08:28 AM

Does anyone have a G4 with the new 3.0 firmware?

I have been wanting either a G4 or a Sena SMH10 but neither of them do what I want perfectly. At least, not prior to Cardo's 3.0 firmware.

I have an iPhone and like to listen to Pandora while riding. (Not interested in debating whether or not one should listen to music while riding.) Right now I simply use earbuds but I would like to stream Pandora wirelessly through a bluetooth headset like the G4 or SMH10. I also have a Garmin bluetooth enabled GPS. At the very least it would be nice to have its spoken directions piped through to the headset. Even better would be having the iPhone's phone functions through the GPS for called ID and such. (This is a minor point for me because I don't want to use the phone when I'm on bike 99.99% of the time but for emergencies or whatever I'd like the option.)

So, has anyone else tried anything similar and gotten this to work? The 3.0 firmware for the G4 adds a standalone A2DP channel. My belief is that with that extra channel I should be able to pair the iPhone directly to the headset via A2DP for music and to the GPS for phone and then the GPS to the Headset for phone/GPS nav.

Any feedback from folks who have solved this or similar problems would be appreciated. I've read through other threads here and elsewhere but haven't found much on experiences with the new G4 firmware.

Thanks in advance!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
SUPERBITCHIN'

March 7, 2011, 08:56 AM

the g4, is the new bluetooth set right. do you like it? why not the xbi2? I'm in the market for these.

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#3)
T.R.I.T.D.H

March 7, 2011, 10:00 AM

Ok. I have a Q2 scala rider headset.

I used it with a BB Pearl AND IT WORKED FLAWLESSLY. I upgraded my phone to a Droid X...and I've had A FEW issues with how the phone and headset communicates...i.e., the way it rings to the headset, voice commands, music.

I called in my issues to the tech support and they gave me the impression that they DID care to help, BUT my headset is not able to flash firmware updates. SO definitely DO NOT consider any other Scala Rider set except the G4.

My experience with pandora...my Q2 headset in order to listen to music you have to connect a wire from device to headset. You have no earbuds, it still operates off of the speakers in your helmet. BUT the volume is VERY low when compared to that of my iPod (which I still have to use the cord.) I've tried a FM transmitter and hook that up to my ipod for wireless play, but the sound quality suffered. SO again DO NOT BUY THE Q2.

The Q2 is not updated enough to work with the NEWER smartphones. NOW as far as rider to rider com. PERFECT.

Anyways, that is my input ...not much on the G4 but I'd like to think that the G4 was capable of doing whatever the Q2 wasn't....

EDIT: and the Q2 doesn't speak GPS to you...

I think you have to have the bluetooth. My suggestion is BUY IT and if you don't like it return it.

CHANCES ARE YOU WILL LIKE IT. My experience with the Q2 IS NOT bad at all. So I'm vouching for their product. I bought my SET with another rider to save on costs ($115) for my headset b/c we bought a pair at a discount. Only thing is I don't really ride with him that much and not many others (a few) have a headset for rider to rider com. That is what the unit was BUILT for. Rider to Rider comm. It does that BEST. Everything else is secondary. Don't buy it b/c you ONLY want a music player...it plays music but was built for rider to rider comm....

If you want a HD video camera you don't go buy a cell phone that just happens to record HD video....

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."

Last edited by TalkofDC; March 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM..
Unread
  (#4)
Signed up for Track Days!

March 8, 2011, 01:58 PM

@Salva: I don't have one, so can't tell you whether or not I'd like it. I'll let you know after I choose a make/model and buy one.

@Talk: Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll give it a try and post up my results.
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

March 8, 2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post

I upgraded my phone to a Droid X...and I've had A FEW issues with how the phone and headset communicates...i.e., the way it rings to the headset, voice commands, music.

Well I have a droid and after reading through this ^, I may no longer be considering this v

Cardo Systems Scala Rider Q2 MultiSet Bluetooth Intercom :: MotorcycleGear.com

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." - Arthur Ashe
Unread
  (#6)
SUPERBITCHIN'

March 8, 2011, 02:33 PM

this is what he is talking about Cardo Systems Scala Rider G4 Bluetooth Intercom Communication System :: MotorcycleGear.com

E che cazzo!
Unread
  (#7)
Road Capt.-Mohawk Ryderz

March 8, 2011, 02:34 PM

i just picked up the q2 multiset pro... so far i love it. the com is good and the speakers give off PLENTY of power even though youre connected through BT.

as for connecting an ipod yes-you do need to used the cord unless you have the ipod touch- there is already hardware built in (from 2nd gen up) to connect via BT. all you have to do is get the software upgraded to utilize it

one issue i have had is that (not sure if its even possible) but if i am running my ipod on BT my bb curve will not connect to the headset. my guess is if i wanted to run both i would have to run my ipod via wire (provided) and run my cell on BT.

Hit me up for info i got the multiset pro for a STEAL through a dealer in MD.

NOTE: there is a difference between the teamset and the multiset pro.. the multiset pro has the A2DP connectivity as where the multiset does not(and make sure if you do buy you get this years model with the connectivity up to 2300feet vs the old 700ft)

Last edited by hollywood13; March 8, 2011 at 02:37 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
SUPERBITCHIN'

March 8, 2011, 02:38 PM

it can only connet to one thing via bt that's why, some people will run their phone to gps using bt and the gps to the headset using bt this way you can use your phone through the gps. with the g4 you can hook up more than one thing though.

E che cazzo!
Unread
  (#9)
Road Capt.-Mohawk Ryderz

March 8, 2011, 02:39 PM

you sure it says?
  • Intercom conference mode with up to two other scala rider G4 users and with one of the following Bluetooth devices:
    • Mobile Phone including iPhone™ or other smartphones (either directly or via a GPS device) / GPS device
    • A2DP enabled MP3 Player or Adapter
^^thats the same for the multiset pro...

Last edited by hollywood13; March 8, 2011 at 02:41 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
SUPERBITCHIN'

March 8, 2011, 02:42 PM

i stand corrected.

E che cazzo!
Unread
  (#11)
T.R.I.T.D.H

March 8, 2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood13 View Post
i just picked up the q2 multiset pro... so far i love it. the com is good and the speakers give off PLENTY of power even though youre connected through BT.

as for connecting an ipod yes-you do need to used the cord unless you have the ipod touch- there is already hardware built in (from 2nd gen up) to connect via BT. all you have to do is get the software upgraded to utilize it

one issue i have had is that (not sure if its even possible) but if i am running my ipod on BT my bb curve will not connect to the headset. my guess is if i wanted to run both i would have to run my ipod via wire (provided) and run my cell on BT.

Hit me up for info i got the multiset pro for a STEAL through a dealer in MD.

NOTE: there is a difference between the teamset and the multiset pro.. the multiset pro has the A2DP connectivity as where the multiset does not(and make sure if you do buy you get this years model with the connectivity up to 2300feet vs the old 700ft)

WOW...this is ALL news to me. So it sounds like they have UPGRADED the Q2?

If that is the case then IT SHOULD WORK BETTER WITH THE DROID X or DROID PHONES b/c the issue was the TYPE of ring tone "frequency" the Droid uses versus other phones. It would ring for a fraction of a second....(pause)....then pickup but you never knew if it picked up b/c it wouldn't connect right away.

Anyways if what was said above HOLDS TRUE...the ONLY negative is that WHEN NEW PHONES COME OUT THEN A NEW Q2 will have to come out....

Whereas the G4 has the ability to have firmware updates flashed to them on the fly....

I have to go do some research now......b/c the OLD Q2 DID NOT SUPPORT A2DP...looks like the Q2 PRO does???

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#12)
Road Capt.-Mohawk Ryderz

March 8, 2011, 02:44 PM

mines not charged at the moment so i cant check but in theory if i hook up the ipod via the wire provided i can still use the phone thru BT?
Unread
  (#13)
Road Capt.-Mohawk Ryderz

March 8, 2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I have to go do some research now......b/c the OLD Q2 DID NOT SUPPORT A2DP...looks like the Q2 PRO does???

correct. the new one has A2DP. (easiest way to verify a new vs old is the range old-700ft new-2300ft)

as for the software upgrade i am speaking about above is for the ipod touch. hardware is already there just needs an apple OS upgrade.
Unread
  (#14)
T.R.I.T.D.H

March 8, 2011, 02:47 PM

FUCK ME!

Looks like all the shit I called and talked to tech support about they corrected with this new PRO unit.
Save your words for the ride – The Q2 Motorbike Intercom headset

Wide range and high quality in every way
Following the global success of the scala rider Q2, Cardo has developed the scala rider Q2 PRO headset. The Q2 PRO offers even more value with Bike-to-Bike intercom communication for a distance of up to an impressive 700 m / 2,300 ft* The scala rider Q2 PRO features technological advances for smooth and effortless communication. Embedded PLC (Packet Loss Concealment) technology allows real-time compensation of audio losses in challenging environments and makes your conversations sound clearer than ever. Thanks to MDC (Multiple Device Connection) technology, the scala rider Q2 PRO allows bikers to receive GPS voice instructions, communicate with other bikers or with a passenger on the back seat via intercom, conduct calls on their mobile phones and listen to music and radio. Entertainment features now include wireless A2DP stereo music or MP3 player connection via cable as well as built-in FM radio with RDS.
Special Features Include:
• Bike-to-Bike Intercom: Alternate between 2 other riders within a range of 700m / 2,300 ft*
• Rider-to-Passenger** communications: Both Rider and Passenger using Q2 PRO headsets can communicate via intercom as well as independently conduct mobile phone calls, listen to MP3 music in stereo or to the built-in FM radio.
• Full Duplex: No longer the walkie-talkie syndrome where one party can only speak when the other is silent. The scala rider Q2 PRO allows bikers and passengers to talk and listen simultaneously.
The scala rider Q2 PRO is also available with a corded microphone to fiteven the tightest full-faced helmets.

Thanks to MDC technology the scala rider Q2 PROoffers parallel connectivity as follows:

Alternate between two additional scala rider headsets on intercom mode and one of the following Bluetooth devices
  • Mobile Phone (either directly orvia a GPS device)
  • GPS device
  • A2DP enabled MP3 Player orAdapter
Priority Management: No need to manually disconnect from intercom or music to receive incoming phone calls or GPS instructions!
Additional entertainment features:
  • Built-In FM Radio with RDS
  • Connection to an MP3 Player (cable included)

Unread
  (#15)
On vacation

March 8, 2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Ok. I have a Q2 scala rider headset.

I used it with a BB Pearl AND IT WORKED FLAWLESSLY. I upgraded my phone to a Droid X...and I've had A FEW issues with how the phone and headset communicates...i.e., the way it rings to the headset, voice commands, music.

I called in my issues to the tech support and they gave me the impression that they DID care to help, BUT my headset is not able to flash firmware updates. SO definitely DO NOT consider any other Scala Rider set except the G4.

My experience with pandora...my Q2 headset in order to listen to music you have to connect a wire from device to headset. You have no earbuds, it still operates off of the speakers in your helmet. BUT the volume is VERY low when compared to that of my iPod (which I still have to use the cord.) I've tried a FM transmitter and hook that up to my ipod for wireless play, but the sound quality suffered. SO again DO NOT BUY THE Q2.

The Q2 is not updated enough to work with the NEWER smartphones. NOW as far as rider to rider com. PERFECT.

Anyways, that is my input ...not much on the G4 but I'd like to think that the G4 was capable of doing whatever the Q2 wasn't....

I think you have to have the bluetooth. My suggestion is BUY IT and if you don't like it return it.

CHANCES ARE YOU WILL LIKE IT. My experience with the Q2 IS NOT bad at all. So I'm vouching for their product. I bought my SET with another rider to save on costs ($115) for my headset b/c we bought a pair at a discount. Only thing is I don't really ride with him that much and not many others (a few) have a headset for rider to rider com. That is what the unit was BUILT for. Rider to Rider comm. It does that BEST. Everything else is secondary. Don't buy it b/c you ONLY want a music player...it plays music but was built for rider to rider comm....

If you want a HD video camera you don't go buy a cell phone that just happens to record HD video....
5,000 posts and finally a useful one that reflects some thought! Never thought I'd see the day, but hey, better late than never!

Props, son!