DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 191
7 members and 184 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya, gvr4wd, Sal_the_man, Scot, Slider, tpadden
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Cold Weather Gear Tips
Unread
  (#1)
Derpetologist

Cold Weather Gear Tips - December 26, 2011, 09:49 PM

Anyone have anything to add or subtract from this video? I like the battery operated vest idea, considering that I just have a DRZ and the stator might not be sufficient for more than maybe heated grips? What about legs? Feet get cold too. I rode till about this time of year once until I gave up and all I remember about it was freezing, lol.

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Derpentine Dealer

December 26, 2011, 11:12 PM

Rule #1 is stop the wind from getting through to your skin.

#2 is heated grips

#3a is layers, or

#3b is heated gloves and heated jacket liner

I have the Firstgear warm & safe crap with remote heat troller. Good stuff. I run the heated grips too because it's nice to have warm grips, even with heated gloves.

#4 a balaclava. Dodge recommended the Bikerz ST-Wind w/ Gore Windstopper and flat seams. Got one for Christmas and can't wait to start using it.

In the DC area, you don't really need heated pants liner or heated socks, especially if you're keeping your torso warm with a heated jacket liner.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#3)
All weather rider

December 27, 2011, 12:00 AM

The whole wicking layer setup (with a windbreaker as the outermost layer) made great sense when I bicycled to work in the Winter, but you're not going to sweat bullets on a Motorcycle in the Winter (unless you use all the layers recommended in this video) because there is little exertion expended sitting on a bike.

Just wear your usual Spring/Fall gear, but then step into a one piece snowmobile suit (cheap). It should have elastic cuffs so the wind doesn't travel up your arms, and easy zip leggings so wo can take then on and off without taking your boots off.

Then wear the balaclava and good winter gloves. Electric ones if the temperature dips low enough or the trip is long.

Effective, comfortable Winter gear is a whole lot easier and less complicated than effective, comfortable Summer gear.
Unread
  (#4)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

December 27, 2011, 08:50 AM

I got a pair of Tour master Synergy 2 leather heated gloves for Christmas and now I'm looking at a nice jacket liner to go with it. I have a nice pair of warm/dry Helds but they were no match for a 32 degree morning when novasquid and I met up for a ride.

I agree with OSD that some heated grips will go really well with the gloves and a heated vest will almost make you feel invincible in the winter.

-Ryan

Last edited by Dark; December 27, 2011 at 11:06 AM..
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

December 27, 2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
#4 a balaclava. Dodge recommended the Bikerz ST-Wind w/ Gore Windstopper and flat seams. Got one for Christmas and can't wait to start using it.

In the DC area, you don't really need heated pants liner or heated socks, especially if you're keeping your torso warm with a heated jacket liner.
I can't do balaclavas as they give me a headache no matter how thin. My helmet fits perfectly, so anything between my head and the helmet makes the helmet too tight. I have been using one of these for the last 15 years or so and have not found anything better. SAS POLYPROPYLENE SURVIVAL HEADOVER - Brigade Quartermasters Unlike many neck gaiters, this is long enough to stay tucked into my jacket and still come up high enough to cover my mouth and nose and tuck up under the edge of my helmet so all the wind is blocked.

I have Gerbings heated pants, but can't even tell if they are heating. So I use regular overpants with an insulated liner that seems to work better. I don't know what has changed since last year, but my feet are starting to get cold this year when it is in the 20's and I am riding for over 30 minutes. I have heated socks I have used once, but they are thicker than I would like. I have to take the insole out of my boots to make it work, and I prefer to limit how much I am putting on and taking off when I get to work. Gerbings makes a heated insole that I am considering since I can leave those in the boots and wear my regular socks.
Unread
  (#6)
Parkin lot pimpin'

December 27, 2011, 09:54 AM

if you don't like balaclavas i've actually started using a bandana instead. I used to have a UA neoprene hood but the seams would dig into my forehead so not i just tie a bandana just below my eyes and tuck the tail of it into my jacket. Takes care of everything from the neckline up to the eyes.

2013 Kawasaki ZX-6R - back at it again
2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) Lots o' Mods - SOLD

2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (Toy Haulin)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EndoSJ3  
Unread
  (#7)
whoa preppy......

December 27, 2011, 10:16 AM

I didn't watch the video but spent 3 years carless. I rode a Bandit1200, Hayabusa, and an FJR1300

Over pants, a sturdy boot that covers the ankle, balaclava, Gerbings heated jacket, and Olympia winter gloves were what I wore. My commute is 45 minutes all highway and all of it into the country. I had an Olympia textile long jacket.

My experience is, heated grips are good when it's 50F and you are wearing your typical gaunlet style leather gloves. They are great for taking the chill off but for cooler weather riding, they just suck up juice from your jacket. Once it gets colder, my insulated gloves actually insulated me from the heat in the grips.

You will need to make a half dozen or so dry runs when its cold to see what works for you. Once you figure out the combination, you're golden. Any small leak will freeze you. Fog city makes a nice insert for your helmet but they scratch very easily. I went through a few every cold season.
I went as far as to tape vents in helmets and tape zippered pockets in my jacket. Keep the electric liner as close to your skin as possible. I wore a long sleeved Tshirt, then the jacket liner...then the coat liner...then the coat. Putting too much space between the liner and your skin insulates you from the liner.

You will almost never be toasty warm...and that's good. You should always be chilly...but it should be bearable. If you start getting warm...you sweat. Sweat will freeze your ass. Also, if you eat, you'll be a lot colder too. I always rode to work on an empty stomach. most bikes acheive their optimum stator output around 4000-5000 RPMs. I rode the Hayabusa around in 3rd gear most of the time. You can wire in a headlight switch to turn your lights off if you were so inclined. That saves you about 55watts. Jackets are typically 75-80watts.

2016 Concours 1400
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
just some dude

December 27, 2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
I got a pair of Tour master Synergy 2 leather heated gloves for Christmas and now I'm looking at a nice liner to go with it.
last time i was at dick's sporting goods in fair lakes i noticed thin glove liners that looked really good. i think they were about $10. i use cotton liners in my gerbing gloves, definitely helps keep the sweat and stink out.

2013 Toyota Prius C4, holding up traffic...
2009 FZ1 (R-77 carbon exhaust, PC V, BMC air filter, D-shaped 'flies, chopped airbox and AIS, FCE; SW-Motech toprack and quick-release siderack, E55 topcase, pair of V35 sidecase, Woodcraft frame sliders)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to novasquid Send a message via AIM to novasquid  
Unread
  (#9)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

December 27, 2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
last time i was at dick's sporting goods in fair lakes i noticed thin glove liners that looked really good. i think they were about $10. i use cotton liners in my gerbing gloves, definitely helps keep the sweat and stink out.
I didn't' clarify my post, lol, I was talking about a jacket/vest liner.

I have some really nice glove liners that do a great job (within reason), they worked wonders for the first 20 minutes of highway but after that I was frozen.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

December 27, 2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
Fog city makes a nice insert for your helmet but they scratch very easily. I went through a few every cold season.
I went as far as to tape vents in helmets and tape zippered pockets in my jacket.
I have had the same Fog City insert since 2007, I am very careful when I clean my shield. When it is in the teens, I will get condensation build up where the insert does not cover the shield. It freezes, then starts encroaching onto the insert. I was looking at snowmobile helmets with the dual layer shields or electric shields and might get one for winter riding.

For the vents, I stuff a few foam ear plugs into the holes and that keeps the air from leaking in.
Unread
  (#11)
Have Bikes - Will Travel

December 28, 2011, 09:35 AM

If it's an option I would recommend heated gloves over grips. While grips are much better than nothing my commute is all on surface streets in traffic so I'm always covering the brake and clutch which means my fingers still freeze.

I've got a set of Gerbing heated gloves and the Warm-n-safe (WnS) liner with the wireless heat troller.

I used to have a Gerbing liner and I think the general look and feel of the liner is better than WnS but the WnS is a great setup and I haven't had any hot spots like I did with my Gerbing liner.

For baclava type garment I really like the microfiber tubeless bandanas. They're very versatile and pack small. I keep one on the bikes all year round.

Ill believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.
http://www.twowheelsgood.net
Unread
  (#12)
Derpetologist

December 30, 2011, 08:07 AM

Yeah if I go with it I may get some of the Gerbing stuff since its battery operated and advertised to last several hours on low-mid settings. Snowmobile suit Looks cheap enough to try easily.

for the ideas...

Unread
  (#13)
Get Tarded!

December 30, 2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail View Post
Anyone have anything to add or subtract from this video? I like the battery operated vest idea, considering that I just have a DRZ and the stator might not be sufficient for more than maybe heated grips? What about legs? Feet get cold too. I rode till about this time of year once until I gave up and all I remember about it was freezing, lol.

Cold weather Motorcycle Riding Gear(How to dress when riding in cold weather) - YouTube
A good set of barkbusters, are night and day with windchill during the winter. And they help keep your gloves from icing up. Heated grips and barkbusters are a sweet combo . But your gloves can be a deal breaker.

And a mid weight fleece jacket with a zip up collar under my riding jacket seals the helmet up pretty well and keeps my neck warm and dry.

Speaking from experience with a the KLR and DRZ.

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650
Unread
  (#14)
Derpetologist

December 30, 2011, 01:56 PM

Attached Images
File Type: png image-4219300397.png (932.1 KB, 7 views)

Unread
  (#15)
TPG og

December 30, 2011, 02:06 PM

My burton snowboard mittens were the warmest thing ever on the bike. 70mph+ on 270 in november...fingers and hands were good to go. The decreased control kinda sucks though but it wasn't too bad.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st