DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 558
4 members and 554 guests
davidcycle, Deep, dubplaya, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Dancin shoes on
Unread
  (#1)
WTB: Training wheels

Dancin shoes on - October 22, 2009, 08:19 AM

Disclaimer: I have used the search button, and it has deemed itself useful at certain points, but other times it is chaotic mess of a million different unrelated posts.
.................................................. .............................................

So in addition to my bike search, I am also trying to read up on gear to be prepared when the time comes to buy.

If some, most, all of you would offer some input, It would be appreciated.

-First, my style of riding, for the most part will be NOVA street/highway riding. Also, I plan to get out on some easy day trips on some of these fine western roads. ie; loudon co, clark co, and points north, south and further west. I will not be using the bike as a commuter due to the type of job I have

-As far as track is concerned, I have a pretty good idea of the gear necessary for that and I dont plan on going to the track anytime soon, wish that wernt the case but anyway.

Basically Im looking for any gear required/necessary/optional that you would use for ride styles mentioned above.

-What do you wear when moving about town. ex. hang out with friends/family, run errands, whatever?
(Im not talking about making sure you look hot, I mean safety for on/off riding)

-What do you wear when riding the twisties, if you will, whether your going balls to the wall or just cruising around?

-When and what riding constitutes the needing of armor under jacket/pants or riding pants at all for that matter.

-Are there any companies you can recommend staying away from and what are some of the higher end/pricier companies.

**Yes, I have read about getting "the best gear you can afford" but would love to see where brands stand in quality.

-Where Is a good, reputable place to give my business, locally or online?

Thanks much,
Sean

DUCATI
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Meet your Maker

October 22, 2009, 08:26 AM

For commuting or night rides to hang outs I rock Jeans, Timbs, Short Leather Gloves and Textile or Leather jacket depending on weather.

For country rides I rock my leathers now but I used to wear jeans and jacket with my A* boots.

I never ride without a jacket no matter how hot it is. Things I believe are a must

Jacket (leathers best, textiles more comfortable)
Gloves (short cuff or gauntlet)
Boots (Above ankle boots or race boots, Sidi, Alpinestar, etc...)
Helmet
Long pants (companies make kevlar jeans for riding)

I am ready to meet my maker but is my maker ready for the ordeal of meeting me...
Looking for a Race Bike
------------------------------------------------
NESBA #199, Roger Lyle #199
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l...ut18/2-2-1.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MikeyB  
Unread
  (#3)

October 22, 2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeeb View Post
For commuting or night rides to hang outs I rock Jeans, Timbs, Short Leather Gloves and Textile or Leather jacket depending on weather.

For country rides I rock my leathers now but I used to wear jeans and jacket with my A* boots.

I never ride without a jacket no matter how hot it is. Things I believe are a must

Jacket (leathers best, textiles more comfortable)
Gloves (short cuff or gauntlet)
Boots (Above ankle boots or race boots, Sidi, Alpinestar, etc...)
Helmet
Long pants (companies make kevlar jeans for riding)

In terms of the boots, would you go with something like...
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ing-Shoes.aspx
or...
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...B-2-Boots.aspx

short vs tall?

DUCATI
Unread
  (#4)
someone adopt a newb

October 22, 2009, 10:44 AM

Comfort wise for me at least the short wins...protection=taller. I commute everyday and will be picking some boots up myself sooner rather then later. Newenough is a good place to look. Good reviews and prices as well. GL.

Originally Posted by vonstallin
That shit is like wearing a condom your whole life while living in DC, but going to brazil and going bare back with all the chicks because they look better.

derilict:
So next time you feel the need to prove to the world that you should have been euthanized as a child, do it in someone else's thread.

"No such thing as to pretty to ride. The prettier they are the harder you should ride them. This is also true when it comes to woman." Nubbs

Thank you,

Management

2006 SV650: RIP
1982 Yamaha XJ650: Went old school, but moving on
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to flynmnky  
Unread
  (#5)
AMA Superbike Champ

October 22, 2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacto View Post
In terms of the boots, would you go with something like...
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ing-Shoes.aspx
or...
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...B-2-Boots.aspx

short vs tall?
FWIW, I bought short Sidi's like that when I first started riding and I wish I'd just jumped in and real riding boots with full protection. I'm in the market now looking for some. The short boots are great just to jump on the bike and head out for a bite with the girl on the back, but more protection is always a good thing when you're out riding all day.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CBontheMV  
Unread
  (#6)
Give me the Ban Button!

October 22, 2009, 11:39 AM

I have a pair of both of those boots and they are awesome. I rock the short ones to work and to just hang out and can wear them all day. They are easier to walk around in than the tall ones. I have the B2s for more spirited rides and they offer great protection.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#7)

October 22, 2009, 02:55 PM

That was def a concern, how comfortable is it if you end up having to wear the talls all day?

DUCATI
Unread
  (#8)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

October 22, 2009, 03:02 PM

I'm one of the really cautious types. Your own preferred level of risk will determine how much gear you think is appropriate. I wear helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, and riding pants on every ride no matter how short. The very few times i've worn normal (not steel reinforced) blue jeans or dress pants I felt like I'd be almost as well off riding naked, not that this is a bad thing, of course.

In summer I've felt comfortable in the Joe Rocket open mesh textiles. They look really flimsy (and the women's gear is flimsier than the men's) but when a board member got to "test" one in a get-off, the jacket seemed to hold up very well. Another board member tested the Joe Rocket gloves which tore and left him with skinned thumbs, so maybe a different glove in the future.
I recommend buying nicer gear. Comfort is key. If it is comfortable, you'll wear it. I recommend buying from brick and mortar stores that let you try things on before you purchase them. It's my opinion that trying stuff on at the store, then buying the same thing online discourages stores from carrying a wide selection of gear. I shop at Coleman's because they have a lot of women's clothes, but you may not have that problem.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#9)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

October 22, 2009, 03:03 PM

I'm wearing my tall Sidis (men's size 7) at work right now. They break in with time, but at first I recall they weren't all that comfortable.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#10)

October 22, 2009, 07:42 PM

Thanks Kat, appreciate the "just being cautious" perspective and as a new rider that will certainly be noted.

I do have another question to throw out if I may...

Leather vs Perforated Leather? Go!

DUCATI