DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 189
7 members and 182 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya, gvr4wd, Sal_the_man, Scot, Slider, tpadden
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Feedback on Puma 1000 V2 Boots
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

Feedback on Puma 1000 V2 Boots - October 21, 2010, 09:20 PM

Ok - so a few weeks ago I asked about the Sidi Vertigo Corsas. I'd like to thank everyone for all the feedback but the sale fell through.

I would have had to replace the soles as soon as I got them anyway (I heard the chief complaint is that the compound is way too soft and will burn through in a season even if you don't walk in them much!) so maybe it was a good pass because now I have a line on a pair of Puma 1000 V2's. The only hitch - they're in the most god awful shade of Yellow you've ever seen.

Basically looks like your slipping foot into two giant banana peels, but alas, we buy footwear for protection and functionality, not style and looks right.

Unfortunately, almost no one around here stocks them so I can't do a test fitting and I have seen no one around with them on.

Anyone have a set or experience with them and can provide any feedback? I'll take track or street. I'm just looking for something so I'm not completely shooting in the dark.

Thx again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Puma1000v2.jpg (487.3 KB, 147 views)

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Last edited by Heist; October 21, 2010 at 09:34 PM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
isn't camping great?!?!

October 21, 2010, 10:59 PM

boy, and i thought white boots are a bad color choice. these take the cake, eat it and regurgitate it back up. eeew.

have you tried the wera board yet? not that i think racers would want to wear those boots.

not that i have any experience with these boots personally, but here are a few reviews i found with a quick search...

review from an r6 forum:
So about 2 months ago I picked up the new Puma riding boot (V2 1000). So far I've been very impressed and have probably put on about 1500 miles with them on. I have a somewhat wider foot and had issues with some Alpinestar boots and Sidi fiting correctly. With the Puma this was a non-issue. Comfort is top notch. I find it quite easy to shift in them. I run the GP style 1up 5down and have no problem downshifting and getting the boot under the lever. They latch down very tight with a huge amount of adjustment available. The ankle support is simply amazing. I haven't gone down in them, and obviously don't plan on it, but I'm sure it would be extremely difficult to break or fracture your ankle in this boot. I can stand on them with the side of the boot on the floor where the support brace is without anything happening to the boot structure whatsoever.

It appears they are very well made boots and allow ankle movement only where needed when riding and walking. I couldn't imagine they'd be all that comfortable to go walk around in for an extended period of time but thats not why I bought them. The boot itself has a nice ventilation system in them. While riding, the air that goes by the sides of the boot is actually grabbed and brought around to the back of the boot where it cools the whole backside of your calf and lower leg, Very impressed with that design.

I don't have any complaints with them. Very pleased. I hope this helps anyone that is in the market for a riding boot.

a negative review from a ducati forum user:
For street riding, daily commute, and occasional walks to the mall or movies with them?
Forget about it!!
They are heavy, bulky, very narrow in the heal, comfort is not an option,don’t get me wrong you feel the sense of security right when you put them on; they are excellent for track they have all the support and safety that the market has to offer, but for anything out side the track or more than 2 hours I don’t recommend it.
I got then in December and use them only for 1 day cruising and a mall walk, and that was it for me. I return them and got the SIDI vertigo.

and a positive review from the ducati forum:
The Puma 1000 V2 boots rock I too thought they would be unconfortable since they felt a bit heavier and sturdier compared to my Sidi Vertigo Airs when I was breaking them in by walking around the house, but once I wore them for two track days in a row my concerns were silenced Great support, confort and feedback to the pegs and clutch lever.

I did note that they are a bit narrow, so they may not be confortable if you have wide feet.

You can add to the confort of any boot by purchasing some gel inserts, that's what I used to do when I rode on the street alot.

One word of caution about the Sidis, the soles on the Sidi Vertigos are very soft...I had to replace my Vertigos because I wore a hole in the sole from where they contact the foot peg

I'd go with Sidi's new Vortice model since it has a replaceable sole...

(#3)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

October 22, 2010, 01:43 AM

I love my V2s, in every aspect. Those yellows are ugly tho hahah. Comfortable as hell, not sure why u would wear motorcycle boots to the theater, but my feet never get tired even after 500 mile rides. They fit true to size so buy the same size as ur shoes. i went down in them, only at ~35 mph, just got scuffed up, nothing big. I like the way they look, and the way they feel. Many of the parts can be replaced, which is another plus. Not sure what else your looking for, ud have to try them on to see if you like em really. I would def recommend them, look up the review on sportbikerackgear, def a solid boot in the safety department as well
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

October 22, 2010, 08:23 AM

^^^Yeah, Puma's are new to the marketplace and relatively rare so there's not a great deal of personal feedback around.

Worse, they're not even listed on Puma's website (WTF?! #1) and when I called Puma customer service to get addresses of local retailers, they couldn't even tell me (WTF #2) let alone knew what I was talking about. They both asked me if I wasn't mistaken about Puma making motorcycle boots (WTF #3!)

(Makes me worry a bit should I have to rebuild the crashy parts)

The color is nothing short of rubbing two sticks of margarine all over them. I'm thinking if I do make the jump, I'm going to have to get out the rattle can and go to work. Either that or ask some young kid where they go to get custom kicks dyed and colored.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Last edited by Heist; October 22, 2010 at 08:28 AM..
Unread
  (#5)
T.R.I.T.D.H

October 22, 2010, 08:34 AM

PUMA 1000v2 Motorcycle Boots Spectra Yellow from SportbikeTrackGear.com

view video.

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#6)
T.R.I.T.D.H

October 22, 2010, 08:44 AM

my verdict....good for track/weekend riding....not for daily use....

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#7)
Owner & Creator

October 22, 2010, 08:46 AM

Have you seen how big the Puma's are? Just make sure your rearsets are adjustable if you have a track/race bike.
Unread
  (#8)
Toe Dragger

October 22, 2010, 09:10 AM

We stock them out here at Duc Pond.. granted they are Ducati branded with a little shield, but we carry them. They are definately a track focused boot, that being said, they offer a TON of protection.. One of our racers got his foot stuck under the bike this past year and foot/ankle were perfect.. we had to order some replacement parts for him, but he still rocks the same boots. They do fit tight in the ankle at first, but they break in pretty damn well.. Donnie wears a pair of the V1's when he does test rides, but they fit him really good.. I have an A* foot..

Chad
Sales Manager Duc Pond Motosports
I Make you Ducati Dreams Come True... LOL! Seriously! I do!

1999 Ducati 996 (sold)
1998 GSXR600 track bike (shamu) sold..
2008 Kwaki Versys sold...
2006 VFR800 Sold..
2001 Road King? Yep....
Unread
  (#9)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

October 22, 2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
Have you seen how big the Puma's are? Just make sure your rearsets are adjustable if you have a track/race bike.

Actually yea i second this. I had to constantly make note of my foot positioning, but now its lke 2nd nature and i do it automatically but again thats only for carving...daily riding its whatever unless u hit some extreme angles on ur daily commute...
Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

October 22, 2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
No, but good info. I'll keep that in mind.
I haven't thrown on adjustable rearsets yet. For some reason, I've been fortunate enough that the stockers in stock position always have fit me well.

Unread
  (#11)
Groping is a skill...

October 22, 2010, 03:13 PM

I cannot lie. The SIDI vertigo's are by far the most comfortable boots I have put on. And I have size 13 feet that are very wide at the front. They have taken a beating too. Use them on the street everytime. Many trackdays. Been down three times with minimal damage. I can still put them on and walk around in them ALL DAY and not one issue. I don't think I'll ever switch.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

October 23, 2010, 09:37 PM

SIDI boots get the best reviews I've seen so if you want a good opinion then find someone that has owned both brands.

If the Pumas only come in yellow then find a new boot.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

October 24, 2010, 03:38 AM

They look very similar to my A* Supertechs. Can anyone compare?

Honestly though, I would rather go with A* Anything than with a brand with no history, experience, or R&D in moto gear. They might or might not be good...I'll leave that up to other guinea pigs to test it out.
Unread
  (#14)
Your Ad Here

October 24, 2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
SIDI boots get the best reviews I've seen so if you want a good opinion then find someone that has owned both brands.

If the Pumas only come in yellow then find a new boot.
The price is pretty good. I'm not paying full retail.

I just picked up a lightly used pair of Sidi Vertigo Airs so I'll probably be one of the few people on the board who can give you head-to-head comparison and feedback.

Unread
  (#15)
Your Ad Here

October 24, 2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
They look very similar to my A* Supertechs. Can anyone compare?
Nah....