DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 603
2 members and 601 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Gear
Unread
  (#1)
Bikeless... for now

Gear - June 6, 2006, 06:07 PM

Hey, I'm new to the scene.... I guess you figured that out. I just got my first bike, it's an old '93 Ninja ex500.... look I paid $600 for the thing so dont laugh. It runs good and I am finishing up the body work and will be on the road next week (I hope). Anyway, I need some recommendations on gear, helmet, jacket, gloves, whatever. I dont want to drop ALOT of money right now because I want to make sure I enjoy riding before i go nuts with it, hence the $600 bike with a darn good paint job (for a spray can). Whatever, it's a terd!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Knee Draggin!

June 6, 2006, 08:59 PM

Check out www.newenough.com close outs.
Unread
  (#3)
Signed up for Track Days!

August 15, 2006, 04:46 PM

Hey new guy, I have a parts and apparel shop in baltimore give me a call 6109312928 or send me an email at sree@motoneko.com. A lot of guys have bought stuff from me from here and I always take care of them.
Unread
  (#4)
MRP Racing

August 15, 2006, 08:22 PM

nothing wrong with a 600 dollar bike aslong as it runs and will pass inspection, its a shame to say but good quality gear will cost about the same or more as your bike lol , and i would follow the other posts links , dont go to a bike shop to buy gear , they will over charge u on gear for sure

sponsor
http://WWW.MRPMOTORSPORTS.COM
WERA AM # 616
TPM GP Moto # 11
R.I.P My Baby Girl Jessica Vetter 12-6-86 - 4-21-07
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Ling Long

August 16, 2006, 06:58 AM

mawonline.com
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#6)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

August 16, 2006, 07:42 AM

Buy it once or buy it twice?

If you go to a bike shop and try on the clothing, you'll at least know exactly what you're getting and you'll know how it feels and fits. To me, that's worth the price of supporting my local shops. I paid out the nose for my gear and I don't regret it. It's comfortable and I wear it every time and I havent' had to replace anything yet (though I got a spiffy new pair of gloves... Maybe I should sell my old ones?). If you're going to buy new, I'd suggest buying from an overpriced shop. Seriously.

If you're not certain you'll be riding, you can save money buying second-hand gear from Craigslist or the classifieds here on the site.

Seriously, though, if it were me, I'd just do the shopping once. Buy good gear, buy it new from a shop. If you don't stick with riding, you can sell the gear. Most of your mishaps are likely to occur during the first 6 months of riding. You'll want to be wearing your comfy gear at those times and comfy gear only comes from a place you can try the stuff on first.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

August 16, 2006, 07:59 AM

Get a simple FieldSheer or FirstGear jacket (under $180), some good ventilated gloves (under $60), and some Icon Super Duty 2 riding boots ($90). Those are all reasonable items I think.

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#8)
Ling Long

August 16, 2006, 08:00 AM

You can go into your local shops, try it on, find what you want... remember what it is... and buy it online for a lot cheaper and still know that it fits and is comfortable...
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#9)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

August 16, 2006, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t51spl
You can go into your local shops, try it on, find what you want... remember what it is... and buy it online for a lot cheaper and still know that it fits and is comfortable...
And the stock response (all together now) is that by doing this you're using a brick and mortar shop's services but giving them nothing in return essentially driving prices higher if not sending them completely out of business. Keeping a wide selection of clothing in stock costs money. If they don't sell their clothes, they stop carrying them. Then we can't try our clothes on before we buy them.

Sure, one person can abuse the system with little harm done. But when everyone does it and everyone tells everyone else to do it the abuse will take its toll and we'll lose a valuable resource.

Be a man. Pay for the services you use.

**Sara**

Kevers

Unread
  (#10)
Ling Long

August 16, 2006, 09:11 AM

Most of these shops make more than enough in sales and service to cover their accessories.
And "trying it on" isn't exactly a service. If these shops boned up and stopped 300% mark ups, they wouldn't have as much of a problem. Hell, just match advertised prices and I'm sure you'd make more sales... but hey, I guess they're all just worried about gross profit.
Unread
  (#11)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

August 16, 2006, 10:26 AM

You're putting the cart before the horse.

EVERY brick and mortar store is going to have to charge more than an internet warehouse because they have more overhead. They must pay for plumbing, electricity, presentation, and employees who look nice (and therefore fetch a higher price than your average pimple-face computer geek). They also must charge sales taxes, which internet providers have escaped, so far...

THEY HAVE TO CHARGE MORE because they offer more. If you use their services (and yes, having clothing available for you to try on is definitely a service, and a valuable one at that) you should pay for them.

Why are most small businesses internet based anymore? Because physical stores require a LOT of start-up capital and a lot more money and effort to maintain. If you're going to use those stores, pay them for what they offer or you'll find that your only choices will be internet sales.

Sure their prices are higher. They HAVE to be, especially with cheapskates coming in, using their services, and buying elsewhere. If you truly don't need to try things on in the store, then fine. Shop internet. Stores will stop offering clothing or will cut back on selection. But if you DO need to try things on first then pay the people who give you that opportunity.

As it is, it looks like I am paying for your privelege to try on clothes.

**Sara**

Kevers

Unread
  (#12)

August 16, 2006, 12:52 PM

Local shops doesnt mean higher prices, I am in Baltimore but my prices are lower than any online places. matter of fact I will beat any online prices as long as they are current items. Just drop me an email and I will give you the price and availability,Buy the best stuff you can afford.Most times cheeper products will protect you as well as the expensive stuff but they wont last as long and they won't be as comfy. Comfort is a big thing when you have a helmet on your head for couple of hours or a jacket on when its 90 degrees out.
Unread
  (#13)
Ling Long

August 16, 2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo
Local shops doesnt mean higher prices, I am in Baltimore but my prices are lower than any online places. matter of fact I will beat any online prices as long as they are current items.
That, I respect...
Unread
  (#14)

August 16, 2006, 01:36 PM

Thanks t51spl, How is your arm healing up man, you were asking me about that ti tech before well my friend bought a rossi winter test. Had it for a week went to beaver run highsided and crash tested the helmet. Good news is his head was fine but needs a new helmet now.
Unread
  (#15)

August 16, 2006, 01:53 PM

In responce to Kat about brick and mortar stores have higher overhead because they have a physical store front. All internet shops also have to have a physical store. With out that no suplier would set them up.(so they also pay plumbing, electric bills ect) If you lived near one then it would also be a local shop. And about dealerships paying sales tax they don't pay that out of pocket they collect that on their sales.And internet shops also pay sales taxes on sales done in their states.Dealers also have an adavntage of being able to sell o.e.m parts which there is always atleast a 100% mark up. I have worked at a dealership, and an internet shop.and for the most part dealerships also pay their people way less.It is all about being able to adapt.