DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 533
2 members and 531 guests
davidcycle, dubplaya
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

September 26, 2005, 03:18 PM

Saturday's ride was my first ride with the fella's. And, except for Son's unfortunate crash... (glad to see he's doing fine in the 09/25 pix) ...it was a good ride... especially those gravity wells in the twisties.

But, I didn't like being in unfamiliar territory... especially if you're almost outa gas in the middle of the boonies. So I'm looking into getting a gps.

For anyone who already has gps, what are your thoughts on the unit you bought? good? bad? worth buying?

I'd rather take the advice of actual users than what can be read on the net... I think it's more reliable.

Thanks in advance.

And, you'all will see my ugly mug at this Sunday's picnic.

Truth: Marines are the Ambassadors in Blue, they can be found in all "climes" and place.

...But, do you know how a Marine "rates" the countries and cities he's toured?

...By how easy it is to get laid, get drunk, and get in a fight.

...Go figure.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

November 7, 2005, 12:57 PM

I have an eTrex GPS.

I velcro mount it on the triple-tree and it's very usable and viewable.

My thoughts?
- Wish it was more accurate. It could just be that I need a map update but 1) I'm not paying all that money for a map update and 2) it's waaaay off on some major roads. The map is just clear wrong.
- Very, very handy for those getting lost rides. Just start riding and you can tell where you've been, how fast your going (mine tracks max speed, great for cops..maybe).
- My maps don't show little roads, so most of time I just ride in the grey of the LCD, but it tracks it all.
- I don't like not being able to save routes. It will save one large route for as long as you don't reset it. But it would be nice to save multiple routes broken up instead of all together at the same time.
- It has a nice little thumb joystick for gloved navigation of the menu's.
- It's water proof, rubber edged and about the size of a walkie talkie.
- I got it too late to utilize riding around my new hometown. I already know most of the roads. So it's not really necessary forever!

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#3)
noise

November 7, 2005, 01:38 PM

www.tomtom.com
Unread
  (#4)
Licensed Rider

November 7, 2005, 10:22 PM

Damnnnnn, I completely forgot about this thread.

Fast forward... I ended up getting the Germin eTrex Legend. It does it's job efficiently enough for something in the lower-midrange price...

I agree on the basic map software, little "out of the way roads" may not show up but you'll know approximately where the major roads and highways are. With the basic map, I definitely won't get lost in WV. To buy the upgraded maps would cost upwards of $70ish.

Other than that, I'm happy with my GPS. It's not too awkard to manipulate with gloves and battery life is decent. It's cel-phone-size makes it easy remove from the mount and take it with me when leaving the bike.

ThrustinJZX6: I don't think you got it too late... it will probably get you home on one of those 8 hour, 2 state, 400 mile rides....as it did me...lol... the only thing it didn't do was massage my shoulders after the ride...lol

Truth: Marines are the Ambassadors in Blue, they can be found in all "climes" and place.

...But, do you know how a Marine "rates" the countries and cities he's toured?

...By how easy it is to get laid, get drunk, and get in a fight.

...Go figure.