DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 155
2 members and 153 guests
2blueyam, MPSniper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

December 12, 2005, 04:24 PM

Trying to get gear together for the track this coming spring. I've got pretty much everything, but I need gauntlet style gloves. I've been riding w/ JR mesh ones, obviously those won't fly at the track. These will be track and street gloves (when it's cooler outside) and cost is an issue. So, what's the best reasonably priced gloves and what should I be looking for that is really important (saftey not comfort)? Who has track crash tested gloves, how did they work?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

December 12, 2005, 04:41 PM

I have the Moto GP gloves...

They're not crash-tested, BUT they've held up for an entire season doing 5 track days, which is more than I can say for any Joe Rocket gloves I've ever owned.
The guantlet protection appears to be pretty substantial, too.
Price runs about $120.00 I think.

2001 GSXR 1000 (The bike that lit the afterburner on the liter class world)
2012 Monster 1100 Evo
2003 Yamaha YZFR6 (track only)

mmm... carbon fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by No One Ever
Awesome Prius!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to skwidrific Send a message via AIM to skwidrific  
Unread
  (#3)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

December 12, 2005, 04:49 PM

If the cost of a set of gloves is enough to break your piggy bank for track riding. Ya ought to not be there. JMO. At one point I had something like nearly $700 in gloves alone floating around my garage. Some new, some used, some shredded.

You usually put your hands out in a fall....gloves get torn up. Fact of life.

As for who makes the best ones...just get heavy ones. Hard covering on the knouckles is a good thing. (Saved me from broken/shredded knuckles before.) I figure if I destroy a set of gloves...and my hands are fine. Then they are worth $120 for another new set.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#4)
You meet the nicest

December 12, 2005, 05:00 PM

No doubt money is tight but gloves are not the place to pinch pennies. The gloves I like cost $275 retail so I wonít even mention them, but you should budget about $100 to get some decent ones.

Comfort is a factor too in as much as you donít want the gloves holding you back from being smooth with the controls.

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#5)
Licensed Rider

December 12, 2005, 07:56 PM

thanks skwidrific anyone else have other favorite gloves?

MudDawg, I understand that getting good gear is important, but some is more expensive for reasons that I'm not as concerned about. A $150 HJC helmet will protect my head, literally, as well as a $500 Arai. The $500 helmet has a lot of features that make it a lot better, but I'm not willing to pay for yet (comfort). I figure there's a similar thing going on with gloves, maybe I'm wrong, that's why I'm asking...
Unread
  (#6)
You meet the nicest

December 12, 2005, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffa

MudDawg, I understand that getting good gear is important, but some is more expensive for reasons that I'm not as concerned about. A $150 HJC helmet will protect my head, literally, as well as a $500 Arai. The $500 helmet has a lot of features that make it a lot better, but I'm not willing to pay for yet (comfort). I figure there's a similar thing going on with gloves, maybe I'm wrong, that's why I'm asking...
I agree with you about the helmets Hoffa, especially after reading that Motorcyclist study a few months ago. I'm just funny about gloves. It's not quite a fetish but . . .

Probably the difference between $100-125 and $250 gloves is incremental and hard for many to justify. But unless theyíve come out with some great new stuff in the last few years I'd say anything around $50-75 is suspect. But then again, Iím no shopper so I donít really know whatís what with all the products. I m just sayin. . . Look at your hands, and think about getting off at triple digits.

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#7)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

December 12, 2005, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffa

OK....valid point. (Most usually want to completely skip on the protective gear...which is bad.)

Go with something that's snug. You don't want it to rotate on you hand or come off. After a wreck you should look at it fairly closely. Look for popped seams, rips, holes, etc. At that point if you find ANYTHING....that set gets retired either to a trashcan or the street bike. (Figuring on much slower speeds generally on the street.)

I use Teknics for the most part. $100-$140 seems to be the range depending on your relationship with the dealer.

You are planning on getting a back protector....right? (It's worth it after one trip sliding on your back...and having zero bruises....vs...a lot of reeeeaaaalllly sore spots.)

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#8)
You meet the nicest

December 12, 2005, 09:43 PM

Back protectors are required at Cornerspeed and probably most regular track day orgs.

Another point about gloves is that they donít last like the rest of your gear. After a sweaty season, or maybe two, the salt takes its toll and the gloves get brittle and weakened. I believe the technical term is crustified.

I have personal empirical evidence of what a bad idea it is to ride with old gloves. (It took the medic a good 20 minutes of picking and scrubbing to get the gravel out of my palm.)

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#9)
Licensed Rider

December 12, 2005, 11:08 PM

yeah, I'm planning on doing Cornerspeed cause everyone raves about it, so I'll have a back protector by then. I've heard good things about the Moto GP line, so I might look into them.

wkdbld - that's gross, but a point well taken. (oh and I don't know what to tell you about that hand fetish....)
Unread
  (#10)
opossum puncher

December 13, 2005, 07:59 AM

Teknic has some decent gauntlet gloves for a very reasonable price. These are what I used for a few TD this past season: less than $50
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...33-TEK-14.html

However, what was said above holds true, I like my hands and opposable thumbs, I'm getting some more track oriented gloves for the comming season.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#11)
Got my Permit

December 29, 2005, 05:15 PM

for back protectors I like the bohn racer
Unread
  (#12)
Site Owner

December 29, 2005, 06:25 PM

I have the Joe Rocket Speedmaster gloves and they rock. I've crashed them twice on the track and they are still good to go with absolutely no damage to my hands at all.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#13)
Groundhogs can play dead

December 29, 2005, 06:25 PM

ICON TIMAX!!!

BLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
Owner of the Site Owner

February 3, 2006, 03:50 AM

I got the 2006 GP Tech gloves for 160 shipped off of ebay, which is an awseome price. They are what the A* sponsored people in MotoGP use.

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"
Unread
  (#15)
The Great Whyte Hype

February 13, 2006, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
ICON TIMAX!!!

BLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
got a pair of ICON MERC myself...i refuse to ride around with that bling bling on my hand

im no

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to afplayboy18 Send a message via AIM to afplayboy18