DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 547
5 members and 542 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, dubplaya, GRN96WS6, HenryW
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
The HELDS that didn't...
Unread
  (#1)
Derpentine Dealer

The HELDS that didn't... - June 16, 2008, 10:42 AM

Only about two months on these Held Thrux gloves. You can clearly see that there are no abrasions to suggest I did this--they came apart, period. If I wanted Joe Rocket durability, I would have paid a Joe Rocket price.

I AM PIST!!!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Site Owner

June 16, 2008, 10:46 AM

Call them. I'm sure they'll replace them. Warranty.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#3)
Que se jodan!!

June 16, 2008, 10:56 AM

and all this talk about how great Held gloves are....

Whisper
"Speak quietly and carry a big stick."
2014 BMW S1000RR
2006 GSXR 1000 - Street (Sold)
2005 GSXR 1000 - Track (Sold - I hate you, Paul)
2010 YZ250F -Motocross in Mexico (I still hate Yamahas)

Men are qualified for civil liberties in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their appetites: in proportion as their love of justice is above their rapacity...Society cannot exist, unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere; and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters. ~Edmund Burke, Political Theorist and Philosopher

Some of us are lions, but even lions can be crushed under the elephant of bad management.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whisper  
Unread
  (#4)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

June 16, 2008, 10:57 AM

Send them back!!! They are still under warranty. I have not had any problems with mine but they are last years model.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

June 16, 2008, 11:09 AM

I can tell you the same thing about Helimot stuff.

There will always be niche brands that rely on exclusivity, but there is no way they can compete with the R&D investment of big operators like Alpinestars.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

June 16, 2008, 11:18 AM

Also, you really shouldn't knock Joe Rocket. They have a full product lineup - from really cheap low end stuff, to high end stuff. Their high end stuff is still cheaper than niche brand stuff, and IMO better because of R&D issues. My JR Speedmaster suit has seen at least 60K miles in it's 7 years as well as two crashes and while not pretty, it still has more life left.
Unread
  (#7)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 16, 2008, 11:46 AM

Mike (452-LE) had some Phantoms that busted at the seams as well. He said he had only worn them a few times on light rides. Ive had my phantoms since Dec/Jan and rode in them a dozen times and they are fine.
Unread
  (#8)
Owner & Creator

June 16, 2008, 12:05 PM

I just get my gf to sew them back up. I need to stop finger dragging around turns
Unread
  (#9)
Agitator

June 16, 2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG40cal
Mike (452-LE) had some Phantoms that busted at the seams as well. He said he had only worn them a few times on light rides. Ive had my phantoms since Dec/Jan and rode in them a dozen times and they are fine.
so far so good on mine...race weekend and a bunch of commuting...this is disappointing to see though

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#10)
singin sweet home alabama

June 16, 2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold
Also, you really shouldn't knock Joe Rocket. They have a full product lineup - from really cheap low end stuff, to high end stuff. Their high end stuff is still cheaper than niche brand stuff, and IMO better because of R&D issues. My JR Speedmaster suit has seen at least 60K miles in it's 7 years as well as two crashes and while not pretty, it still has more life left.
Just to offer a contrasting experience, my JR speedmaster gloves lasted 3/4th of one season before they were garbage. My A* SP1 gloves, which were about half the price of the JR SMs are now on their 3rd season and look pretty much brand new.

Everything JR I've ever owned suffers from the same problem in about a year of ownership. The freakin' velcro comes off.

MORE STICHES BITCHES!!

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#11)
Resident Rodent

June 16, 2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
Just to offer a contrasting experience, my JR speedmaster gloves lasted 3/4th of one season before they were garbage. My A* SP1 gloves, which were about half the price of the JR SMs are now on their 3rd season and look pretty much brand new.

Everything JR I've ever owned suffers from the same problem in about a year of ownership. The freakin' velcro comes off.
My 2004 JR Speedmasters lasted 1 year and the exact thing you see in the pix above happened. The sweat ATE them whereever contact was made with the grips. Stiches at seams broke, too.

My 2006 Speedmasters have been MUCH better. I've crashed them once and it's been 1.5 years ... still fine.

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com
Unread
  (#12)
Got Any Gwapes?

June 16, 2008, 02:18 PM

I have to say, every crash I had racing with Helds ended in a hand injury, one of the kind of major. They always seemed robust and well made, but let me down. I may have be a double fluke, but maybe not.

The Teknic kanga gloves are nice, Spidis always did me right too.

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929  
Unread
  (#13)
opossum puncher

June 16, 2008, 02:30 PM

I had a pair of spidis that came apart at the seams between the fingers and the wrist strap, with in the first week.

My helds have held up well (kryptons on year 2), my teknic lightnings are slowly comming apart after 4 years, the seams are good, the leather is just starting to come apart, I wouldnt trust them in a 5 mph low side. I had olympias that came apart around the wrist closure too.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#14)
Derpentine Dealer

June 16, 2008, 02:37 PM

I will say the gloves are very comfortable and fit nicely. Instead of eating the cost of shipping for a warranty claim, I may try to sew the finger shut with a heavy thread or maybe even monofilament. My confidence in these gloves has dropped considerably, however.

Sheesh. I have owned $15 gloves from Tractor Supply that held up better than these, and under much harsher conditions and applications like wood-cutting, fence-building, and wired-tied hay stacking. I gave Held gloves a try, and I'll likely give the opportunity to a competitor next time.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#15)
Owner & Creator

June 16, 2008, 02:39 PM

My Icon gloves that my gf bought me for Christmas, are still holding up. I believe the same finger has been dragged over 15 times on the pavement and the finger part of the glove is still holding up.