DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 153
2 members and 151 guests
2blueyam, MPSniper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Helmet reviews?
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

Question Helmet reviews? - October 23, 2006, 11:47 AM

I've heard of places on the web to get reviews of crahs ratings on different helmets. However I can not find anywhere on the net to review any of them. I know people have there openions that SHOEI and ARAI are the best depending on the shape of your head. I was just curious how they all where rated for protecting against impact when your head would hit the ground and how much the helmets cushioned the blow and so on. Thanks
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

October 23, 2006, 11:58 AM

I would answer but I can't remeber anything after my wreck! Serioulsy though I use Shoei and have had 2 wrecks with them and after hitting my head I had no problems afterwards. Its hard to judge helmet impacts cause each wreck is different and each hit is way different.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#3)
TEAM.SUKUZI

October 23, 2006, 11:59 AM

If they have the DOT and Snell, ure good. Both DOT and Snell will not release a helmet not proven to protect. They do have a high standard test.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to iceblizzxdc  
Unread
  (#4)
Owner & Creator

October 23, 2006, 12:12 PM

The cheapest Hjc is as good as a shoei?
Unread
  (#5)
Ling Long

October 23, 2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblizzxdc
If they have the DOT and Snell, ure good. Both DOT and Snell will not release a helmet not proven to protect. They do have a high standard test.
Snell sucks.
Look for helmets with DOT (mandantory) and ECE/22-05.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

October 23, 2006, 12:33 PM

Matt gives good helmet.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JAGULE  
Unread
  (#7)
Ling Long

October 23, 2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGULE
Matt gives good helmet.
Only to you Jon... only to you.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#8)
Super Moderator

October 23, 2006, 07:06 PM

I swear by Arai. Took a nasty spill and hit my arai pretty good. My head didnt even feel the impact. But like someone said, all accidents are different. HJC are heavy helmets.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#9)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

October 23, 2006, 07:49 PM

Nolan MR2 and so on are DOT approved, snell approved and the other thing approved as well, but I bet if you wreck with one of them your head will be ringing for weeks after you wake up. I really like my SHOEI rf-1000 but I was just trying to find out how shark, scorpion, suomy how ever you spell the rest stood up to SHOEI and ARAI. I guess if its good enough for the pros shoei shark arai suomy then it's good enough.
Unread
  (#10)
This Ain't My First Time!

October 23, 2006, 09:29 PM

Had a spill in a Shoei RF-900 and the first thing to hit the ground was my head then my shoulder and my feet flipped over like a cartwheel only difference was my head was the pivot point not my hands. My helmet held up good and I walked away from the accident.

I may not be a good judge for head impacts with helmets, because I used to play football at a major college and I have taken hits to the head wearing a helmet for more than half of my life. All in all i was happy with the helmet. Hope that helps.

OVER? did you say "Over"? Nothing is over until we decide its over, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:
If your goal is to scrape knee within 1 mile of your house then you sir have a problem.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Give me the Ban Button!

October 24, 2006, 09:33 PM

I have a scorpion and a shoei. I love the shoei it is much lighter and the cooling vents actually work. They both hurt my forehead on long rides

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#12)
is terrified of clowns

October 24, 2006, 11:14 PM

i bought a hjc initially and thought i liked it. then i bought a suomy and refuse to put the hjc back on. comfort wise this is the most comfy helmet iv ever worn. my motoX helmet is a kbc and i took a wicked spill and it held up pretty well.

'bad news, its open season on chumps, and i just got my permit'

The Graveyard
-2001 ZX6R: SOLD
The Garage
-2002 F4i streetfighter: it wins shit
-2007 REPSOL: pure giggity
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to saki-bomb  
Unread
  (#13)
Officially Addicted to Posting

October 25, 2006, 07:57 AM

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

http://www.armyofdarkness.com/helmets.htm
Unread
  (#14)
Ling Long

October 25, 2006, 08:06 AM

Shark is a better brand than Shoei and Arai... and you'll likely end up paying more for it as well.

The helmets are lighter, betrter ventilated, and NOT Snell tested. They hold the ECE/22-05 rating.

They are also built completely differently. They are a web of honey combed "crumple zones" that reduce impact. Where companies like Shoei and Arai use impactr zones to transfer energy to heat to expend it, Shark actually absorbs the impact... much like a bike helmet or the crumple zones on your car.

But, not everyone's head is a shark fit...

When it comes to helmets... what FITS your head properly is the best thing you can do.

I landed ON my head in a Shark and didn't even feel it... bumped my head in a Shoei and had my ears ringing for a week.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
Unread
  (#15)
Agitator

October 25, 2006, 08:09 AM

I have a few differing opinions on helmet choice
1. "what the pro's wear" bear in mind they are gonna hit pavement, grass, or gravel...rarely curbs, trees, etc, so the impact might be different...on the other hand, have you seen some of those high-sides?!
2. there is an ongoing and very lively debate between the CE (ECE regulation yao cited) and the Snell impact testign process...IIRC, the snell is more of a penetration test, rather than an energy absorption / g-loading test. However, the two top brands (based on % of use in professional riders), shoei and Arai...are not ECE approved...odd (shark is)

my personal opinion is Arai, shark, Shoei, suomy, any of the snell / ECE approved helmets will protect virtually identically in 99% of accidents and the debate revolves around the remainging <1% when the velocities, energies, etc are rare. That being said, buy the helmet based on the following priorities
1. safety (meets snell or ECE + mandatory DOT)
2. fit (a poorly fitting helmet is a huge distraction, more so than temperature)
3. weight
4. ventilation / insulation
5. cost

If you are $$ limited (come on, even an RF1000 or RX-7 is only $5-600 max, how much is your bike?) sacrifice ventilation first...then weight...being warm is one thing, but ride around with a heavy helmet, than a light one, and your neck will tell you the difference, especially in spirited riding--neck fatigue sucks and will keep you from properly looking through turns

I've ridden with poorly fitting helmets and I'll never do it again, not only is it dangerous (a loose helmet will not align properly to absorb the impact, but also can make things worse with "flyer plate" type impact effects) but also makes riding far less enjoyable and overly tight helmet will make you wish you weren't riding)

my $0.02 (helmet history: 1 HJC, 1 Arai Quantum, 2 Arai RX-7)

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman