DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 572
2 members and 570 guests
GRN96WS6, Nobrains
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

March 5, 2003, 06:07 PM

Hey everyone, I am currently shopping around for a 2 piece leather suit. I have yet to find a perforated 2 piece leather suit that is

A) not ugly(prefer mostly black, definitely avoiding the Power Ranger look)
B) provides good protection (thick leather, good armor, full circumference zip, quality stitching, etc)
C) fits well

I've checked out all the perf offerings from Fieldsheer up to Vanson and nothing really appeals to me. Therefore the suit I'm leaning towards right now is a Kushitani Dragon 2 piece suit which is not perforated. In the climate around DC, will I be able to wear this through the summer months without fear of heat exhaustion or will it just be too hot? I'd rather not resort to a textile jacket as I plan on doing quite a bit of time on the freeway and I don't trust the textiles to hold up at those speeds in case of a spill. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Railing!

March 6, 2003, 01:45 PM

Hey,

I have an HJC 1 piece suit that only has perf on the torso... I wore it in 100 degree weather last summer and yes I was hot as hell. I have been wearing it all winter and I am loving it. So, I just bought a 1 piece teknic lightning that is totaly perfed (DUDE) for those hot ass days to come.

My opinion is that you need two suits, and just get a 1 piece!

Check out http://<a href="http://www.newenough...enough.com</a>and http://<a href="http://www.ebay.com"...w.ebay.com</a>
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

March 6, 2003, 06:44 PM

I have a 1 peice perforated and a 2piece not perforated.

I ride year round, so I would freeze to death if all I had was the perforated suit.

You say that you are concerned about heat, yet you want 100% black???

Witold
www.witold.org/bike/bike.php3
Unread
  (#4)
MSF Student

March 8, 2003, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've checked out Barnacle Bill's before and I know they do quality work. But I'd rather buy off the rack so that I can sell the piece easier if need be. I really didn't think of the color as making too much of a difference. I guess I'll have to reconsider.

It looks like the consensus is to just swallow hard and buy two different suits? Oh, and sorry for the newbie question but isn't it kinda hard to pee with a one piece suit on? What if you have to take a dump? I'd hate to roll into a McDs and drag the top half of my nice new leathers in that filth :o
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

March 8, 2003, 08:31 PM

IF you are serious about protection and want a 'per'd'
w/o the 'power-Ranger look, then check out Vanson!!!!!
IMP they are the very best, and worth every penny.
I have 2 full 1-piece suits, a Fieldshear and a Vanson w/hard armour.
The Vanson is mostly white and the Fieldshear is 'Power-Ranger'
red-whight-black, and the Vanson is MUCH cooler in the heat.
I keep the Fieldshear because it's a bigger size and can get extra clothes
underneath when it's colder. A good race suit should be damn near skin tight,
'cause if not, the hip pads may end up on yer shoulders!

PM me if you have any more questions.

- Greg

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not
only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the
American public.” -Theodore Roosevelt
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to OneFunR6  
Unread
  (#6)
MSF Student

March 13, 2003, 12:49 PM

Well here's an update to my situation. I took your advice and started shopping around for 1 pieces as well. I should have mentioned my stats before but I'm 5'10 140lbs, 42 chest and 29.5-30 waist. I attribute my non-standard shape to being Asian as well as years of swimming and cycling

I called NewEnough and chatted with Holly for some time about the Teknic Lightning 1 piece which seemed like a good deal. She told me it would not fit me as the midsection would be too baggy. I talked with her for a decent amount of time and we came to the conclusion that nothing they carried would fit me! Doh! Called Kneedraggers next and spoke with Chris for a little bit. He basically reaffirmed my thoughts that I'd have the best fit with a Kushitani.

Ok, so it seems like my options are dwindling and $$$ piling up quickly. Called Vanson next and spoke with a rep about fit. After taking my measurements, she confirmed that standard off the rack jackets would be too baggy around the mid section and recommended a custom 1 piece which would end up being about $1400. Next up were Barnacle Bills and Syed which were a little more reasonable (especially Syed at around $1100). As a last resort, I called Kushitani and asked if they could perforate a Dragon 2 piece. Answer was no but they could build me a custom suit for $2000. Eeek! :o

Anyhow, I decided for the moment to go ahead and get the Kushitani Dragon jacket from Kneedraggers. If it turns out to be a decent fit, I'll go ahead and get the pants as well. But it looks like I'll be getting a 1 piece sometime in the future. At this point it looks like it'll be an off the rack Kushitani or a custom made Syed which would both end up at about the same price. Anyhow, thanks everyone for the suggestions. Hoping this jacket fits as good as I think it will.