DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 180
2 members and 178 guests
2blueyam, MPSniper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
I Need Your Help!
Unread
  (#1)
What's today? aah fuck it

Cool I Need Your Help! - May 5, 2006, 05:02 AM

My sister has a clothing company overseas. She was in town recently and we were talking about different styles and desgins of clothes. Suddenly the greatest idea EVER dawned on me. Why not make motorcycle gear? So we talked more, and she's willing to give me my own sub-branch of the company where I can will have the opportunity to design my own motorcycle gear. I can have my own brand name and everything...

But first, before moving forward with anything. She needs me to submit designs, measurments, do research, etc. She says, her people can make "anything" they just need matrial, measurements, and design to adopt ideas from since we are both new to this industy. So, the first thing I opted for was a custom race suite. Shit, if I was gonna pay $800+ for it anyways, I'd much rather give that $$ to my people. She tells me, she can do a prototype of any 1 product in order to test out first before mass production.

So what I need to come up with are:
  • Different designs/styles of race suits.
    • I can do most of this on my own, but I need other riders' input!
  • Measurements.
    • I need to go to get fitted so they know how to make the prototype. I can't imagine a traditional taylor would know how to measure someone for a race suit. Any ideas of where I could get this done???
  • What material to use
    • I know, I know...cow or kangaroo! But believe it or not, there are many other animals used to make leather overseas. I wanted to ask everyone here if they ever heard/seen non traditional leathers being used? Or maybe you have experience and would like to share.
After all this, I just have to fork over some $$$ to cover the prototype expenses and I'm set....well, except for the product testing, revision, modification aaaand then I have to get a contract worked out to mass produce it. Simple, huh?! lol omg, i'm never getting my race suite done...

If you would like to contribute, please send me any links, pictures, or even feedback on something you would like to see done please reply, PM, AIM or email me @ venom.g at gmail.com.
Thank you!

Last edited by ---> Venom <---; May 5, 2006 at 05:07 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)

May 5, 2006, 05:29 AM

I just wanna add that this is not something I just came up with on the spot. Prior to having this talk with my sister, I've always had ideas of improving current gear. EVERYTIME I go shop for gear, I think to myself "why couldn't they make it like this" or "oh man, if only that had this" or "man i wish they make it this way." So...I have all these ideas and thoughts, I just never had a way to express them and do something with it.
Unread
  (#3)
Owner of the Site Owner

May 5, 2006, 06:07 AM

while this is a great idea and all, and would be sweet to have a dotnetter manufacture gear, how do you plan to market this?

Going up against WELL known brands, A*, Vanson, Dainese, Joe, etc. etc. before you start spending money on prototypes, you should come up with a business plan/plan of attack.

Marketing something like that will be tough, you'll either have to be extremely competative in prices, and you'll have to have exposure to the world/sport. Sponsorship, now you can start small and sponsor wera racers and all that, but that's really not public expopsure, you'll have to try to sponsor a rider in AMA or something.

THese are all things that are just popping inside my head. if you ever want to sit down and chat, let me know I have 2 companies that I have started and can help you, one of them being a clothing company.

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

May 5, 2006, 06:18 AM

As a larger/smaller rider I am 210lbs and 5'5. I get mad alot when I find that a certain jacket wont fit, or I have to go a couple sizes larger than I want. I would have to pay out the butt to get a full suit custom made, I guess I'm trying to suggest helping us who want to ride, but are limited to our options because we are not the "average" size. Just my suggestion.
Unread
  (#5)
Got Any Gwapes?

May 5, 2006, 07:16 AM

Call it Boomgear

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929  
Unread
  (#6)
Slow Poke

May 5, 2006, 07:20 AM

MAke gear for petite women. 5'2, 115lbs. you know. small boobs, etc.

I don't wanna be your b*tch. Say no to 2up!

RIDE THIS!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
rushin' the waves

May 5, 2006, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousR6
I agree!!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3.../TinyTWAT2.jpg

'03 600rr Track and Street (SOLD)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to mybabyninja82  
Unread
  (#8)
Owner & Creator

May 5, 2006, 08:01 AM

crash gear for gangsta riders only!
Unread
  (#9)
Owner & Creator

May 5, 2006, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKat
My sister has a clothing company overseas. She was in town recently and we were talking about different styles and desgins of clothes. Suddenly the greatest idea EVER dawned on me. Why not make motorcycle gear? So we talked more, and she's willing to give me my own sub-branch of the company where I can will have the opportunity to design my own motorcycle gear. I can have my own brand name and everything...

But first, before moving forward with anything. She needs me to submit designs, measurments, do research, etc. She says, her people can make "anything" they just need matrial, measurements, and design to adopt ideas from since we are both new to this industy. So, the first thing I opted for was a custom race suite. Shit, if I was gonna pay $800+ for it anyways, I'd much rather give that $$ to my people. She tells me, she can do a prototype of any 1 product in order to test out first before mass production.

So what I need to come up with are:
  • Different designs/styles of race suits.
    • I can do most of this on my own, but I need other riders' input!
  • Measurements.
    • I need to go to get fitted so they know how to make the prototype. I can't imagine a traditional taylor would know how to measure someone for a race suit. Any ideas of where I could get this done???
  • What material to use
    • I know, I know...cow or kangaroo! But believe it or not, there are many other animals used to make leather overseas. I wanted to ask everyone here if they ever heard/seen non traditional leathers being used? Or maybe you have experience and would like to share.
After all this, I just have to fork over some $$$ to cover the prototype expenses and I'm set....well, except for the product testing, revision, modification aaaand then I have to get a contract worked out to mass produce it. Simple, huh?! lol omg, i'm never getting my race suite done...

If you would like to contribute, please send me any links, pictures, or even feedback on something you would like to see done please reply, PM, AIM or email me @ venom.g at gmail.com.
Thank you!
back home in Vietnam we use WATER BUFFALO
Unread
  (#10)
Nothing here

May 5, 2006, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousR6
Actually, I agree with this too. This is a part of the market that is seriously lacking in options and value. If you come up with quality racing/riding gear for women and THEIR body shapes then I think you have a winner. Just don't make it all "girly".
Unread
  (#11)
Stercus accidit

May 5, 2006, 10:12 AM

Something that always bothers me is cheap gear, a little thoughtfullness in design could go a long way witout having to make everything expensive. Collars chaffing my neck and under my chin, jackets that are too bulky at the wrist. They wont fit under a glover propery and sometimes can restrict movement. Non goofy moon man designs. Jackets that are at a proper beltline, not to short but not so long that they bunch when you sit.

Those are some of my suggestions but I would recommend you go with a trusted and proven buisness plan. KNOCKOFFS! Dainose jackets, set up a network of shady dudes who can set up a cart at every bike night across the nation and sell knock off gear right from the cart. A la those goofy purse carts in g-town. Alpinerats is just as good as the real deal.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Harvey_TT600  
Unread
  (#12)

May 5, 2006, 03:49 PM

First of all, thanks for all the input guys, the PMs, and the emails.

Secondly, I know fullwell the importance of a solid business plan that faces all the challenges and sets up realistic ways of handling them. BUT this idea has not gone that far yet. I just want a prototype to be made. So we are in the design status of the business model, and we're not bothering with the other aspects until we have a good product outcome that we feel can be marketed. Trust me, the last thing I want is some cheap, knock-off looking gear with my name on it! Booooo!!

If nothing else, I just want a custom race suit out of this.
Unread
  (#13)
Track Ho

May 5, 2006, 03:55 PM

make gear for big boob girls only, others must stuff their package!!!

I volunteer to tow Amer around with my truck tied to the tailgate after he gets his prototype to see how the stitchings hold together, I promise to stay under 50 mph

just a thought you might want to make all black suits first till you get more feedback on color

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
Unread
  (#14)
SIN MC President

May 5, 2006, 04:30 PM

Real Gangsta Riders don't go down on the asphalt!... I can contribute to some designs if you wish... But you know I'd probably end up putting a PILL on the back of it...

#22 TOTNAC
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS MC

Unread
  (#15)
You meet the nicest

May 5, 2006, 04:42 PM

Check out the Vanson site measuring instructions. They're very detailed and may give you some ideas. Other sites too I would think.

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!