DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 500
0 members and 500 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

September 29, 2004, 12:52 PM

HELP!

1. Fist off, can anyone recommend a good motorcyle insurance company? I got a quote from Progressive for $191 for just liability and was told that is a bit expensive.

2. Does anyone own the HJC Sy-Max, w/ the flip up chin bar? Looks like a great idea for a hot ass day, stuck in traffic.

3. Are the Joe Rocket Alter-Ego jackets all they are cracked up to be? Meaning is the price (around $250) warrant the all year around wear?

4. MVA! WTF! Who's going to get their bill of sale notarized while buying a bike? Now MVA will tax you on the highest blue book value. I wonder if there is a way to notarize it afterwards... (Sorry, that was just a rant).

5. Frame sliders... Too friggin many! Any suggestions? This is extremely overwhelming for a newbie!

Thanks!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to gervasio  
Unread
  (#2)

September 29, 2004, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gervasio
HELP!

1. Fist off, can anyone recommend a good motorcyle insurance company? I got a quote from Progressive for $191 for just liability and was told that is a bit expensive.

2. Does anyone own the HJC Sy-Max, w/ the flip up chin bar? Looks like a great idea for a hot ass day, stuck in traffic.

3. Are the Joe Rocket Alter-Ego jackets all they are cracked up to be? Meaning is the price (around $250) warrant the all year around wear?

4. MVA! WTF! Who's going to get their bill of sale notarized while buying a bike? Now MVA will tax you on the highest blue book value. I wonder if there is a way to notarize it afterwards... (Sorry, that was just a rant).

5. Frame sliders... Too friggin many! Any suggestions? This is extremely overwhelming for a newbie!

Thanks!
Honestly Progressive is the best IMO outside of State Farm if you have a car policy with State Farm already. Progressive is more flexable about driving/accident records where as State Farm is pretty strict. The Symax helmet is nice for people who have glasses and dont want ot take them on and off to put there helmet on but that's about all it's good for. I've heard they dont hold up that well for accidents and such. Hope that helps with some of your questions!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Deespeed99  
Unread
  (#3)
True Riyduh

September 29, 2004, 01:54 PM

I'm assumin' that the $197 price you got from Progressive is for 12 months... If THAT is high, I got straight up RAPED!!! (No kiss, no caress, no KY)

I paid $287 for the year (Liabilty).... And I have two cars insured with them. If THAT is bad then it's because of my driving record. - Three speeding, and one At-Fault accident (hit a curb and shouldn't have made the claim!!! )

So, anyway... with the insurance, if that is for 12 months you should be straight.

If it's monthly... oh boy.

I have........ no bike.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to P-Luva Send a message via AIM to P-Luva Send a message via MSN to P-Luva  
Unread
  (#4)
Brainwash Your Face!

September 29, 2004, 02:01 PM

HELP!

1. Fist off, can anyone recommend a good motorcyle insurance company? I got a quote from Progressive for $191 for just liability and was told that is a bit expensive. Check out State Farm

2. Does anyone own the HJC Sy-Max, w/ the flip up chin bar? Looks like a great idea for a hot ass day, stuck in traffic. Suck it up and deal with the heat...get something wont bust open if you go down

3. Are the Joe Rocket Alter-Ego jackets all they are cracked up to be? Meaning is the price (around $250) warrant the all year around wear? Both of my Joe Rockets are awesome...go for it.

5. Frame sliders... Too friggin many! Any suggestions? This is extremely overwhelming for a newbie! You going for actual protection or looks...

Thanks!

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Site Owner

September 29, 2004, 02:28 PM

Quote:
HELP!

If you can get state farm, they are one of the best. I have had state farm forever for my Jeep and my house insurance, so my bike insurance through them was a nobrainer. My 2003 954 is about 375$ a year for full coverage with 250$ deductible.

Quote:
I wouldn't trust one of these as far as I could throw it to protect me in an accident. The whole point of wearing gear/helmet is to protect you in the chance of an accident. Having half a helmet that could just flip up/pop off if you happen to hit your chin on the ground or something else in a wreck is just scary. Just my .02, though.

Quote:
I like Vortex. They have separate pucks and sliders so that if you ever go down you can just replace the cheap plastic part. Don't go with carbon fiber/metal tips because they tend to grip the asphalt and want to start going end over end. Sliders are meant to slide and grind down.

Good questions, btw!

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#6)
MSF Student

September 29, 2004, 02:44 PM

Thanks all for the repsonses.

Good points about the flip up chin bar.

I believe the $191 is for the year. Its been 3 years since I totaled my Pontiac GTP. State Farm would want all the vehicles. Forget that. Erie Insurance was good to me when I was being bad

The frame sliders would be for protection, not looks... for now I'll check out the Vortex!

Newenough... here I come!
Unread
  (#7)
Brainwash Your Face!

September 29, 2004, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks all for the repsonses.

Good points about the flip up chin bar.

I believe the $191 is for the year. Its been 3 years since I totaled my Pontiac GTP. State Farm would want all the vehicles. Forget that. Erie Insurance was good to me when I was being bad

The frame sliders would be for protection, not looks... for now I'll check out the Vortex!

Newenough... here I come!

I wear a medium in ladies while you are at it.

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Unread
  (#8)
MSF Student

September 30, 2004, 10:14 AM

Ha ha! That would put me in the dog house.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I heard from a few people that the HJC helmets have a lot of road noise. We're talking like wearing earplugs while you ride. Any experiences with this? May have to suck it up and pay the extra $$ for a shoei or something....

I'm not psychic. People are just predictable.

Corn. Enjoy it for a second time.
Unread
  (#9)
What's today? aah fuck it

September 30, 2004, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Not to beat a dead horse here, but I heard from a few people that the HJC helmets have a lot of road noise. We're talking like wearing earplugs while you ride. Any experiences with this? May have to suck it up and pay the extra $$ for a shoei or something....
I had an HJC CL-14 earlier this season and i didn't like it too much. What I hated most about it was that the visor would flip open just a little when I look over my shoulder at high speeds. The air coming in due to this was uncomfortable, and it made my eyes tear up.

If you can afford it and would like the absalute quitest helmet, go with the Shoei.

...almost forgot, POOTIE TAAAANG!
Unread
  (#10)
Zombie apocalypse yet?

September 30, 2004, 10:36 AM

I'm not sure if you're refering to the HJC Flip ups as far as road noise is concerned. I've had several HJC helmets, and compared to Shoei and a Sumoy I wouldn't say they're that much louder.

Some folks wear ear plugs, I personally don't. The only time when noise was ever an issue was when I would commute out in California and I'd be on the highway for 2 hours striaght, usually 70mph or faster. After that commute, my ears would be a little numb, so I guess ear plugs would have helped. But I would say, around town, or even in the twisities, you're not going fast enough for the wind noise to really become bothersome.

Plus I prefer to be able to hear other riders talk when we're at stop lights. I also like to listen to my bike for any unusual noises, I'm just paranoid that way.

-Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
I walked in on Steve while he was in the bathroom once, it was glorious...
2015 Grom
2013 Hayabusa
2006 VTX 1300
2002 Sportster 883 (for her)
1998 TL1000R - Sold
1991 GSXR750 (second one) - Sold
1991 GSXR750 - Sold
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DAYUIZ Send a message via AIM to DAYUIZ  
Unread
  (#11)
Signed up for Track Days!

September 30, 2004, 10:43 AM

i'm happy with my Vega helm. but the next i would get is the Arei. i love the way they fit on me and look. that's just my 2 coppers. =)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to 04Gixxer600 Send a message via AIM to 04Gixxer600  
Unread
  (#12)
MSF Student

October 1, 2004, 03:45 PM

SWEEET! Cycles USA wanted $428 for the Arai Astral. Thing fit like a glove. Nothing fit like that helmet on my oblong skull.

Anyway, got a new one off e-bay for 274.99 w/ shipping. Kick-a$$!

I'ma pone tony on the peppertain.

Unread
  (#13)
I am a bitch, so what?

October 1, 2004, 07:31 PM

Quote:
HELP!
Thanks!
I'm a notary and for 20 bucks you can be one too.

Either that or for a full tank of gas and I'll come to you.

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#14)
MSF Student

October 4, 2004, 10:14 AM

Aww... thanks. But I found out my neighbor is one. What a great weekend! Passed the MSF, got a notary seal, got a bike...

BTW, does anyone know of a place around Silver Spring I can get my bike inspected, besides the dealer? Any particular gas stations? I heard you want to avoid dealers...

Thanks again.

Unread
  (#15)
Happiness Consultant

October 4, 2004, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Aww... thanks. But I found out my neighbor is one. What a great weekend! Passed the MSF, got a notary seal, got a bike...

BTW, does anyone know of a place around Silver Spring I can get my bike inspected, besides the dealer? Any particular gas stations? I heard you want to avoid dealers...

Thanks again.
sounds like you had a good weekend. Congrats on your accomplishments.

as for inspections, not really sure. I live in VA, but I would imagine that..just like in VA... any place that can an inspect a car, can inspect a bike.

word

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave