DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 188
1 members and 187 guests
MPSniper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Jacket Discussion....
Unread
  (#1)
Super Moderator

Jacket Discussion.... - April 13, 2006, 12:23 AM

Lets talk about Jackets. And for this thread, we will limit it to Leather Jackets. We all talk about wearing gear and how important it is. But lets get to the nitty gritty. Nudist started a thread, "Post your gear" so we wont get into that. But lets talk about the pro's and cons about gear and how gear fits different people and whatever else comes to mind. FOr example, if you have longer arms, what gear fits you better? What should someone stay away from? What doesnt take a crash very well and what doesnt..Which has better armor in it off the shelf? Better venting? Better liners? What gear is just for show and isnt worth CRAP? What gear runs small? (MotoGP runs REALLY small!)

Basically, if someone is looking for a new Jacket, this should be the thread that person should goto. Please post pictures, links or whatever it takes to get your point across. Plus, any rebates, discounts or whatever and wherever!

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#2)
Super Moderator

April 13, 2006, 12:23 AM

Also, if anyone finds any articles, post them up too!

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#3)
Retired to most ...

April 13, 2006, 12:30 AM

I don't have a whole lot to add on this other then I personaly think a mesh jacket is a waste of time a risk to your health should you go down. I've seen some of the worst road rash next to squiding come from a mesh jacket. It heats up when you go down in it and it burns the skin. I'll always wear leather.

Another good point in all this is who makes a better jacket? I have a teknic which wasn't overly expensive but held up through 3 wrecks before I had to retire it, Strong stuff.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#4)
Super Moderator

April 13, 2006, 12:32 AM

My First Gear Jacket is at least 10 years old and its had its ups and downs..Still pretty decent but might be time for retirement.

-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
Unread
  (#5)
noise

April 13, 2006, 12:42 AM

I have a Fieldsheer Air Sport Jacket with both a 8 inchzipper and a full circumference to mate to leather pants. This jacket is fully perforated and comes with GP armor with a CE back protector! Fits me nicely and I am a lean build, IF you like athletic fit shirts, you'll like this. It also has a small "key" pocket on the sleeve. Coupled this with a SUMMER Champion or UA shirt underneath and you WILL feel like it is air conditioned! This is a FAV for those hot humid days... Only thing is for me the sleeve is about a 1/2 inch too long, not a big deal just wanted to let you know. Good price and good armor from the getgo! www.fieldsheer.com

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Repping WPNR is Tennessee

Location: GOOD OL' ROCKY TOP...ROCKY TOP TENNESSEE...GO VOLS!!!!!!!!
April 13, 2006, 06:10 AM

I love my teknic jacket and pants....had one wreck in them and they held together great.......prior to that I had a JR jacket, and it went through all types of hell....but sliding down 395 will eventually take its toll and I had to retire it. Teknic's are a pretty good fit....I wear 44-46 but most fit me great, they feel real good, and wear awesome. I used to swear by JR...but I LOVE Teknic's now.
There sizing like I said is pretty accurate....so no complaints there. I have the Lightning 2-piece all black.

RIP...Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg WE MISS YOU BUDDY!!!

WulfPakRydaz- Strength in Numbers

Cause thats how we roll......
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to PimpD  
Unread
  (#7)
Jeez If You Love Honkus

April 13, 2006, 06:43 AM

I have a couple outfits.

My leather stuff consists of a First Gear Z-Pilot jacket and Flightline pants. Like 'em fine; they've got good armor in all the right places and the jacket's got plenty of zippers for ventilation.

In hotter weather I wear my First Gear Mesh-Tex jacket & pants.

In really really cold weather I have a Reima Cycloak jacket & pants. Bought 'em from Belden Motosports years ago and they're holding up well. Reima makes more snowmobile stuff than bikes; unfortunately the Cycloak gear is no longer made.

My most recent purchases are a Fieldsheer Congo Sport jacket & Fieldsheer Booster pants. I've had problems with the zippers on both. I got the jacket's inner zipper fixed for $12 at a local tailor, but I just had to send the pants back to Fieldsheer for repair or exchange after one of the leg zippers broke during my long ride a couple weekends ago - had use duct tape to close 'em up. I had Fieldsheer stuff before, years ago, with no problems - I've Googled a bit and found some comments about the crappy zippers on their newer stuff.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Typical Stripper

April 13, 2006, 07:32 AM

My best advice, spend the money for good gear... Its really "You get what you pay for"....

Now I have been really happy with my Joe Rocket Speedmaster stuff, but some of the lower model Joe Rocket jackets have stitching issues. JR is good about having adjustability to fit multiple body types. They typically have well designed venting and quality zippers.

Teknic... Fit well for longer arms, heavy leather. Again some of the budget models dont crash well.... I have seen them litterally peal apart at the seams exposing the rider in fairly minor downs.

Hein Gericke jackets a super high quality. The venting on my model wasnt super, but that was a few years ago. They would fit a stocky person better then the lanky type. Overall another recommend.

I have had a bunch of JR stuff, Teknic, and that one Gericke.... Still the most happy with my JR Speedmaster 2 piece suit.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to