DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 548
5 members and 543 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, dubplaya, GRN96WS6, HenryW
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Officially Addicted to Posting

July 21, 2003, 07:49 PM

For some reason I ended up buying just a ton of Joe Rocket gear when I bought my bike. Started with the Phoenix jacket, some cheap Field Sheer mesh gloves, and stupid harley looking motorcycle boots and jeans when I first started riding. I planned on getting better stuff soon, but didn't know what to look for. When I started riding with others, I learned a little bit, and then decided to go ahead and get some leather gear. Not sure why I picked Joe Rocket. Maybe because I was happy with the Phoenix jacket, or maybe because I saw a friend of mine walk away from a wreck unscathed wearing Joe Rocket Speedmaster gear.

So anyway, I bought JR Speedmaster everything: boots, gloves, pants, jacket. I've been very happy with it so far. That is, until a month or so ago when I noticed that the stitching on the right index finger had started to come apart. Granted I had worn these gloves for over 12,000 miles of riding, and also through torrential rain, so much so that my hands had turned purple for a couple days! :o. I also realized that I constantly used that part of my glove to dig the zipper (on my jacket) out from between the leather that lined each side of the zipper. But I was still kinda bummed. I had bought them on-line from someone (I forget exactly). They came with a 1 year warranty for repair or replacement with instructions to contact the retailer to make a claim. Well, since I was at work at the time, I decided to go ahead and call Joe Rocket directly.

I spoke with a rep there, and told him the story. He said, "Send them directly to us with a copy of the invoice, and we'll take a look at them." I said, "I think it has been just about a year," and he said "Well, technically it is only good for a year, but if it's within a couple weeks, we'll see what we can do."

So anyway, I dug out my receipt and sent them about 2 weeks ago. Turns out it had been about 11 months since I bought them. Last week I thought, "Hmm, haven't heard anything back, maybe I should call." Went home that night and found a brand new pair of the new Speedmaster model gloves in a box at my door!!

That's good customer service. Hopefully these ones won't fall apart! :o

Oh, and by the way, when I was at the Cornerspeed school, Aaron Stephenson had some advice regarding gloves. He indicated that gloves are made from a softer leather so that a rider will have better feel. The trade off for this is that they are really only good for about 1 year. He recommended that you change your gloves every year. He said, keep the old ones for the trips to Starbucks, etc.

This was, of course, a course designed for racer-wannabe's, so it may not apply to everyone, but it really wasn't anything that I had thought about. I certainly see his point, and can tell a big difference between my new gloves and the ones that I returned.

YMMV, but something to think about.

[Edited on 7/22/2003 by rddy]
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#2)
Licensed Rider

July 21, 2003, 09:37 PM

Kick ass I got the same gloves about 2 months ago I love them. Although for just 2 months I've worn them out pretty good granted there still in good condition its nice to know Joe Rocket will replace them if anything fails in the next 10 months.

Blue '03 Ninja250

~Stop dreaming and Just do it~

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)

July 21, 2003, 09:57 PM

As for Joe Rocket - their stuff is not bad from my experience. I have a ballistic jacket that is about 3 years old, no crashes and seems ok. I have a phoenix jacket and it gets the job done.

AS FOR GLOVES - there are some very important things you need to look at when glove shopping. I have broken both my hands, one twice from motorcycle accidents.

The kevlar "bubbles" over the knuckles are not there to look cool. They are there to absorb impact and provide slide contact as odds are you will land palms up. The bubbles have to be over sized, not small and individual little sections. I crashed in Spidi's race gloves and ended up with screws holding my left hand knuckles together because the bubbles did not collapse and transferred the impact directly to my knuckles. My surgeon looked at the gloves and scoffed at the design. I probably would have been better off with a well padded glove as opposed to some flashy, ventilated race glove. I could have had just a broken hand instead of surgery and rehab if they were designed properly.

To top it off the gloves split at the seams in a minimal 20ft slide.

This goes for all gear, when shopping use some common sense...look for double stitching and placement of armor. Do not get taken in by nice logos and flashy plastic. And probably, most importantly; go to your local track and look at what the club racers are wearing. They are not wearing this stuff to look cool; it is on them because they crash more often than we do and have already learned what works and is durable.

FWIW I have crashed several times in Held gloves and while I have broken my hand again - no surgery. Some people found them to last several crashes, mine last two on average.

[Edited on 22/7/2003 by ArlingtonRider]
Unread
  (#4)

August 1, 2003, 02:02 PM

here is a link to a guy who wadded his VFR and was wearing the pheonix jacket....looks like it did ok. not great...but I think we all know they are a 1 crash item anyway!

http://ldap.regenstrief.org/~mplue/vfr800/rip-vfr/
Unread
  (#5)
Signed up for Track Days!

August 1, 2003, 02:24 PM

While we're kicking out props here, I've got to give good ratings to the Teknic Violator Pro gloves. I did a 50 ft+ slide in them and they held up very well! I was on the outside palm of my right glove through the whole slide, and aside from some burnt through stitching and a few scrapes, you'd have no idea that they hit the ground. I will probably restitch that section myself. Anyway, great gloves, pretty comfy, and Newenough.com is selling them for around $70.

I refuse to tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death.