DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 193
7 members and 186 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya, gvr4wd, Sal_the_man, Scot, Slider, tpadden
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Leather Pants or Full suit dilemma
Unread
  (#1)
Yo quiero Trackday!

Leather Pants or Full suit dilemma - April 14, 2010, 10:45 AM

I've been ridding with a leather jacket and textile pants, but now that I am ready for my first track day...

As much as I will enjoy track days, I am sure that most of my ridding will be in the streets. This brings up the dilemma, should I just get a leather pant, and zip it to my jacket, or go with a full suit?

I've never been on a full suit, so I don't know how confortable they are, or even worst, how practical they are for street use? Could anybody shed some light on this subject?

BTW - If I go the suite route, it will probably be a used one, vs a new leather pant.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Nubbs ban yourself!

April 14, 2010, 10:52 AM

With a liner like UnderArmor a full suit or pants are very comfortable.
Properly fitted a suit is nice but if you are going to go to a lot of places you may not want to have to walk around all the time in it.
A 2 piece with a zipper works well but just make sure you don't get lazy and not zip it. If you don't zip it you are basically risking your jacket coming up and your back being exposed anyway.
I have both and for the track I use the 1 piece and for the street I wear the 2.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#3)
USSA

April 14, 2010, 10:56 AM

Hey, I've got both available on the cheap. Let me know and I'll send ya pics or we can meet up somewhere as they're both in my truck.

I get off work around 4 and am usually in the manassas area around 5.

It's a 46 suit and 32 pant

I Have Nothing To Contribute.

Chicks are like jobs...all the good ones are taken and they can't pay you enough to do the ones that are available.

Last edited by ArrrSV; April 14, 2010 at 10:59 AM..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArrrSV  
Unread
  (#4)
I got a need for Speed!_!

April 14, 2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knonfs View Post
I've been ridding with a leather jacket and textile pants, but now that I am ready for my first track day...

As much as I will enjoy track days, I am sure that most of my ridding will be in the streets. This brings up the dilemma, should I just get a leather pant, and zip it to my jacket, or go with a full suit?

I've never been on a full suit, so I don't know how confortable they are, or even worst, how practical they are for street use? Could anybody shed some light on this subject?

BTW - If I go the suite route, it will probably be a used one, vs a new leather pant.
I have both, but gotta tell you it's much easier to go with the 2-piece. As long as you buy the same brand the full circumference zippers should match up and take seconds to zip. 2-piece is much easier to get on and less likely to have improper fit...like short crotch. Also, with 2-piece you can easily and quickly take off your jacket after each session on the track to cool off, with 1 piece you got the top half flopping all over if you want to walk around. Don't forget to buy a spinal protector to go under your jacket.

TPM Red
AMA#629103
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to thespectralsorrows Send a message via AIM to thespectralsorrows  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

April 14, 2010, 10:59 AM

Just got a suit, end of last season. Here are my observations:

They're great for days where you're gonna do some hardcore riding, because you feel very safe, wrapped in all that leather and armor. Definitely worth having.

Wearing a suit isn't so great if you're going to pose or hang out at any of the spots, or you anticipate doing any walking around. They also draw a lot of attention. I've never noticed so many people sneak a peek at my package as I have in my suit. That's a weird feeling. Now I know what chicks must experience on a daily basis.

I just ordered a new perforated leather jacket and some A*s denim pants with kevlar in the seat and knees and pockets for CE knee protection. I think that will be my go-to whenever I'm headed to Adams Morgan this season.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

April 14, 2010, 11:08 AM

I'd opt for the two-piece for it's multi-use role on the street and get a one-piece later if you get bitten hard by the track bug.
Unread
  (#7)
Contributor

April 14, 2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
I'd opt for the two-piece for it's multi-use role on the street and get a one-piece later if you get bitten hard by the track bug.
I would also recommend the same. I got a 1 piece last year and wore it on the street and found it to be a pain. If you go with a 2 piece it will cover you for both purposes. I kept the one piece for a track back up but really I'm getting more use from the 2 piece.

2006 Yamaha R6
2008 Zuma YW50

Semper Fi
MARRC Cornerworker
NESBA #707
CCS AM #991
www.marrc.org
www.cornerspeed.net
www.rnrcycles.com VA
www.trianglecycles.com NC/VA

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/27068503@N05/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Lucky  
Unread
  (#8)
Nubbs ban yourself!

April 14, 2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zice View Post

They're great for days where you're gonna do some hardcore riding, because you feel very safe, wrapped in all that leather and armor. Definitely worth having.

Wearing a suit isn't so great if you're going to pose or hang out at any of the spots, or you anticipate doing any walking around. They also draw a lot of attention. I've never noticed so many people sneak a peek at my package as I have in my suit. That's a weird feeling. Now I know what chicks must experience on a daily basis.

I just ordered a new perforated leather jacket and some A*s denim pants with kevlar in the seat and knees and pockets for CE knee protection. I think that will be my go-to whenever I'm headed to Adams Morgan this season.
Please don't get some false sense of safety from wearing a leather suit or 2 piece. A 2 piece does almost just as good a job of protecting you from abrasion as a 1 piece. Neither are going to protect against any real impact.
Broken legs, backs, collarbone, wrists, necks etc etc etc and death occur all the time in these suits. Abrasion is their real safety point!
Back protector is a must but a guard rail, bridge or a car don't care what ur wearing!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#9)
LiterBike Desperado

April 14, 2010, 11:41 AM

two-piece for multi-use.

if you said you planned to do a lot of riding on the track, then i would say get a top-of-the-line 1-piece that will survive the multiple offs YOU WILL experience. that's why they cost so much.

my two piece leather pants are nice and comfortable and have more stretch panels and airflow than my 1-piece. however, these features are a trade-off for durability and cannot take as many offs as my 1-piece. but i'm not planning for multiple offs on the street and have them for the chance that it happens when doing some "spirited" riding.

CCS/ASRA #134
www.facebook.com/FullerMoto
2013 FINAL ASRA/AMA/CCS Mid-Atlantic Standings
-------------------------------------------------------------
#1 ASRA SportBike AM
#3 AMA 600cc SuperBike Grand National Championship
#2 AMA 1000cc SuperBike Grand National Championship
#1 CSS Southeast Unlimited GP AM

2012 CCS Atlantic & Mid-Atlantic SuperTwins AM Champion
FullerMoto * Woodcraft * Armour Bodies * DC-MOTO/AMSOIL * MotoWheels * Gotham Cycles * XT Racing * Figure Finishing LLC * Full Spectrum Power * HelmetCameraOutlet.com

My bikes:
'09 Ducati Monster 1100S (Longhorn Edition) [street]
'09 Ducati 848 [CCS/ASRA #134]
'08 Ducati 848 [CCS/ASRA #134]
'05 SV 650 SS-build [CCS/ASRA #134]

'08 Ducati 848 [Parting Out]
'05 Yamaha R1 [Sold]
Unread
  (#10)
LiterBike Desperado

April 14, 2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
Back protector is a must...
+1

i always wear my chest/kidney/back protector on track and street. i've turned around a gone back 10 miles one time b/c i forgot it.

i might be OCD about it, but it just bugs the hell out of me to think about getting into an accident and busting up my back and all the while the damn vest was hanging in the closet at home waiting for a track day...

CCS/ASRA #134
www.facebook.com/FullerMoto
2013 FINAL ASRA/AMA/CCS Mid-Atlantic Standings
-------------------------------------------------------------
#1 ASRA SportBike AM
#3 AMA 600cc SuperBike Grand National Championship
#2 AMA 1000cc SuperBike Grand National Championship
#1 CSS Southeast Unlimited GP AM

2012 CCS Atlantic & Mid-Atlantic SuperTwins AM Champion
FullerMoto * Woodcraft * Armour Bodies * DC-MOTO/AMSOIL * MotoWheels * Gotham Cycles * XT Racing * Figure Finishing LLC * Full Spectrum Power * HelmetCameraOutlet.com

My bikes:
'09 Ducati Monster 1100S (Longhorn Edition) [street]
'09 Ducati 848 [CCS/ASRA #134]
'08 Ducati 848 [CCS/ASRA #134]
'05 SV 650 SS-build [CCS/ASRA #134]

'08 Ducati 848 [Parting Out]
'05 Yamaha R1 [Sold]
Unread
  (#11)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

April 14, 2010, 11:51 AM

+1. I didn't buy a 2 piece together, but I got the jacket and the pants separately, which should do the same trick. I'm also working on finding the right riding pants for the street too so I don't look too toolish but stay protected. ATGATT

Zice, maybe they were staring at your package, because it's so small

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zice View Post

Unread
  (#12)
Yo quiero Trackday!

April 14, 2010, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the responses fellas, I appreciate them!

So, it looks like I am better of with a 2 piece. This subject brings a new subject, back protectors?!?!

OK, so now for the squidish question, do you guys wear leather pants when ridding on the street? I wear textile, and feel naked if I don't ride with them. I guess leather pants attract a lot of attention, and might even get the squid look. To me, it is all about protection; but on the same token, I am not into trends.
Unread
  (#13)
Yo quiero Trackday!

April 14, 2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrSixed View Post
Hey, I've got both available on the cheap. Let me know and I'll send ya pics or we can meet up somewhere as they're both in my truck.

I get off work around 4 and am usually in the manassas area around 5.

It's a 46 suit and 32 pant

Talk to me about the pants. I was looking at the A*, and per their chart I am a 34. Also, I work evenings, but we can meet during the weekend.
Unread
  (#14)
I got a need for Speed!_!

April 15, 2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knonfs View Post
Thanks for the responses fellas, I appreciate them!

So, it looks like I am better of with a 2 piece. This subject brings a new subject, back protectors?!?!

OK, so now for the squidish question, do you guys wear leather pants when ridding on the street? I wear textile, and feel naked if I don't ride with them. I guess leather pants attract a lot of attention, and might even get the squid look. To me, it is all about protection; but on the same token, I am not into trends.
Nah numbnuts, the squid look is shorts, t-shirt and sandals with just a helmet and gloves.
Often I wear the same thing on the street as the track, it's not uncommon among us sportbike riders to wear full leathers and boots on the street, shows you know there is a risk and you want some good protection. Now in summer I may wear jeans and textile jacket on the rare occassion. Basically wear whatever makes you feel safe and comfortable enough to enjoy the ride. I just starting wearing my back protector on the street last year. Make sure your riding pants aren't tight in the waist, when on the bike it will bother you.

TPM Red
AMA#629103
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to thespectralsorrows Send a message via AIM to thespectralsorrows  
Unread
  (#15)
Yo quiero Trackday!

April 15, 2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespectralsorrows View Post
Nah numbnuts, the squid look is shorts, t-shirt and sandals with just a helmet and gloves.
Often I wear the same thing on the street as the track, it's not uncommon among us sportbike riders to wear full leathers and boots on the street, shows you know there is a risk and you want some good protection. Now in summer I may wear jeans and textile jacket on the rare occassion. Basically wear whatever makes you feel safe and comfortable enough to enjoy the ride. I just starting wearing my back protector on the street last year. Make sure your riding pants aren't tight in the waist, when on the bike it will bother you.
You are right, safety first LOL!

On the back protector subject, my jacket has a pocket for a back protector (it actually has a thin foam on it). What would be the difference between wearing a separate back protector vs replacing the oem foam with a CE protector?