DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 182
1 members and 181 guests
MPSniper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Looking for Leathers, $~500 budget
Unread
  (#1)
AMA Superbike Champ

Looking for Leathers, $~500 budget - October 3, 2011, 07:39 AM

Been looking past few weeks.

I found the Cortech Latigo, which I like, minus that it's perforated. It goes for $512 and has gotten positive reviews.

Teknic Chicane, is on closeout for as low as $375, but no one has a size 40 in stock,

This is the last one I found in my budget, but idk if I really like it. Joe Rocket GPX Type R 2 Piece for $500

Anyone know any other deals out there. I see from time to time there are great deals out there but they seemed to go quick.

Budget is $500, I could go $600 but I would rather not. Right now, I might just go with the Cortech one. I heard of people saying Alpinestars go for $500 from time to time, but I've yet to find any deals like that. Would do used too...

Looking to hit track for the first time, next Spring.

07' Ninja 650
99' Ninja 500 (sold)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Air-Cooled Goodness

October 3, 2011, 08:15 AM

If you're willing to go used, you can get a better suit for less money. I picked up a $1k suit that was basically brand new for ~$400. Check the WERA and NESBA classifieds.

I've looked at the Latigo and it is good value for money, if I remeber the only downside was the liner does not come out. I have a two piece chicane and its ok, but the weight of the leather and protection is definately less than my A* suits.

-Tommy
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Elite Racing

October 3, 2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
If you're willing to go used, you can get a better suit for less money. I picked up a $1k suit that was basically brand new for ~$400. Check the WERA and NESBA classifieds.
This.

Keep an eye on classifieds, especially now that it's the end of the race season. Folks will be unloading their stuff and prepping for a refresh of their goodies for next season.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
Unread
  (#4)
( * )|( * )

October 3, 2011, 11:57 AM

AGV Sport has closeouts at times. If you don't see anything on their site give them a call and they will sometimes hook you up. If you plan on racing talk to them about getting sponsored, they will cut you some really good deals if they decide to sponsor you. Their suits hold up really well...I think Travis and I have crash tested enough of them to probably earn some compensation

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#5)
AMA Superbike Champ

October 3, 2011, 12:30 PM

Yea I saw some AGVs on closeout, but none my size. But I will try contacting them to see if they have anything else they can give me a deal on. And no way I'll be racing. I'm still a newb in the corners, even tho I've been riding for 4 years hopefully the track days can help.

I'll check the NESBA/Wera boards. I also check craigslist from time to time. I was looking to buy this month. But I'll wait for the right deal.

07' Ninja 650
99' Ninja 500 (sold)
Unread
  (#6)
SRWJTS Recruiter

October 3, 2011, 12:56 PM

Agreed, used is the way to go for the best deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
This is the last one I found in my budget, but idk if I really like it. Joe Rocket GPX Type R 2 Piece for $500
I was able to pick this one up for ~$200 shipped off of another forum. It takes some time, but if you're vigilant you will find a good deal.

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
Unread
  (#7)
unapologetic

October 3, 2011, 03:41 PM

Quentin,

I've got a set of Astars leathers that I'm going to put up for sale here soon. They are the SP-1 model, size 46, in red. I was 6'1" tall and weighed 220 lbs when I bought them in fall of 2008.

Here's a link to what it looked like: Alpinestars SP-1 One Piece Leather Race Suit Black / White from SportbikeTrackGear.com

My suit has an Astars back protector sewn into the back of it (no more forgetting or fighting with it to get into the suit) and Woodcraft knee sliders. When I bought the suit it fit great in the chest and thighs, it was just too long in the legs and on my arms. I sent it to Alexa of SpyderLeatherworks and she shortened the legs and forearms to fit a bit better, as well as brought in the gigantic elephant butt the leathers had. They fit great for a year, but now they are too big again. I had one lowside that scuffed the right forearm and the right ass cheek, Alexa replaced the panels and had them dyed to match. She cleaned them and repaired them last winter. I've got 3 sets of leathers I swap between to help keep the funkyness levels to a minimum, and I have 3 race events this year and a handfull of track days in them. They could be cleaned, but only because of sweat (not dirt). They will come with sponsor patches on them because I don't wanna take them off.

If you decide to buy them and they need any alterations, if you send the leathers to Alexa I will pay to have her remove the patches if you want.

I was going to ask for $500 for them, make me an offer if you are interested.

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#8)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

October 3, 2011, 06:52 PM

I got the cortech latigos, and Im satisfied with the suit. Like u said, it is preforated, the airflow is really good for the summer, but for any other time, it gets chilly. Personally, id rather be hot than cold, so i dont like the preforation either.

Although its a good suit, to be honest I wouldnt have bought it if I had to pay the full $512, i bought it for $250, it was used a couple times at the track. If you dont find a used one for cheap, id probably wait a little until you can save up a couple more hundred for a better suit. But like i said, im completely satisfied with mine, especially the fit and im confident it will do what it is designed to do if i go down, which at the end of the day is what really matters.
Unread
  (#9)
AMA Superbike Champ

October 3, 2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Quentin,

I've got a set of Astars leathers that I'm going to put up for sale here soon. They are the SP-1 model, size 46, in red. I was 6'1" tall and weighed 220 lbs when I bought them in fall of 2008.

Here's a link to what it looked like: Alpinestars SP-1 One Piece Leather Race Suit Black / White from SportbikeTrackGear.com

My suit has an Astars back protector sewn into the back of it (no more forgetting or fighting with it to get into the suit) and Woodcraft knee sliders. When I bought the suit it fit great in the chest and thighs, it was just too long in the legs and on my arms. I sent it to Alexa of SpyderLeatherworks and she shortened the legs and forearms to fit a bit better, as well as brought in the gigantic elephant butt the leathers had. They fit great for a year, but now they are too big again. I had one lowside that scuffed the right forearm and the right ass cheek, Alexa replaced the panels and had them dyed to match. She cleaned them and repaired them last winter. I've got 3 sets of leathers I swap between to help keep the funkyness levels to a minimum, and I have 3 race events this year and a handfull of track days in them. They could be cleaned, but only because of sweat (not dirt). They will come with sponsor patches on them because I don't wanna take them off.

If you decide to buy them and they need any alterations, if you send the leathers to Alexa I will pay to have her remove the patches if you want.

I was going to ask for $500 for them, make me an offer if you are interested.
I would be down but I'm only 5'10, 150lbs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riz View Post
I got the cortech latigos, and Im satisfied with the suit. Like u said, it is preforated, the airflow is really good for the summer, but for any other time, it gets chilly. Personally, id rather be hot than cold, so i dont like the preforation either.

Although its a good suit, to be honest I wouldnt have bought it if I had to pay the full $512, i bought it for $250, it was used a couple times at the track. If you dont find a used one for cheap, id probably wait a little until you can save up a couple more hundred for a better suit. But like i said, im completely satisfied with mine, especially the fit and im confident it will do what it is designed to do if i go down, which at the end of the day is what really matters.
Yea seems like a good suit, was reading about some guy who went down at 170mph and was good.

07' Ninja 650
99' Ninja 500 (sold)
Unread
  (#10)
Groping is a skill...

October 3, 2011, 09:05 PM

Unless you need something soon for a specific event I would say wait a couple more months. You'll get better deals online on close-outs and/or you'll find a nice used one off the boards for cheap. Take your time

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
unapologetic

October 4, 2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I would be down but I'm only 5'10, 150lbs....
You lucky bastard..........

Good luck in your search. Remember that most of the online parts houses will have some pretty sweet sales as the holiday season gets closer, so if you sniff out a deal, snatch it up. Try to get out to different dealers that have some suits in stock so you have an idea of what will fit as most of the brands cut their suits differently even if they are "American Sized" the same. Lastly, if it fits in most of the places on you, most alterations are inexpensive. It's like a cloth suit, you can always make it smaller to a degree.

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#12)
AMA Superbike Champ

November 28, 2011, 11:12 AM

Patience paid off. Alpinestar Charger Suit, brand new $459 (normally $800). Thanks R1 Forum and Cyber Monday.

07' Ninja 650
99' Ninja 500 (sold)
Unread
  (#13)
Groping is a skill...

November 28, 2011, 12:44 PM

Nice! That makes the crotch area look uber hot.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to