DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 563
0 members and 563 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
When in Rome...

September 27, 2005, 09:14 AM

Hi -

I'm relatively new to the sport. I ride to work every day and I sort of fudge on gear then (always wear my jacket but that's about it as far as gear). But, I'd like to get some stuff to wear when I get out of town on the weekends. Although safety is my primary concern, I'd like to look like I'm wearing the right stuff and I'd like to not look like a poser - so I ask you for some suggestions:

1. Do people wear leather pants for the road? I hear they're way better than jeans. Full suit or two piece setup? What can I get that isn't going to cost a thousand bucks but could possibly double as gear for a track day (I might do like one of these...but not often enough to justify buying a racing suit).

2. I saw the boots post below. Would it be goofy to get a pair of sidi or alpinestars boots that look a little more like motogp boots? Are these only for wearing with full leathers?

3. Does anyone have a preference on cheap online resources for quality stuff?

Thanks...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

September 27, 2005, 09:24 AM

I usually wear a jacket, gloves on the street.

I have seen people wear the SIDi boots with jeans. I personally never have.

Some people always go out in full leathers.

It's all about what you want.

www.kneedraggers.com

www.starcycle.com

www.parts411.com

or the local shops

Fast Lane Cycles (703)818-8890

Champion Motorsports in Herndon

Loudoun Motorsports in Sterling

Coleman's Powersports Falls Church and Woodbridge

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#3)
Addicted to Cajen food...

September 27, 2005, 09:26 AM

Seriously... it all depends on how you feel comfortable. I ride jacket, gloves and boots... with jeans.

Rossi forgot, VALLEY CYCLES!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

September 27, 2005, 09:29 AM

Sorry.... Valley Cycles out in Winchester. Great place to buy a bike!!!

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#5)
Nothing here

September 27, 2005, 09:32 AM

These are good questions that few people actually ask. Leather is always better than jeans. I always wear full gear and yes sometimes people will make fun of you for it....even some sportbike riders who claim to be racers. But it doesn't bother me because I seem to like to walk upright on my own legs and I rather enjoy using my hands for all kinds of things every day. Boots are not for leathers only either. They work just fine with jeans should you choose that route.

Gear is expensive. You don't have to buy the most expensive race suit, gloves and boots out there but get something. I have a friend who had no leather pants simply because he could not afford it so I gave him a pair of my own. I would rather do that than allow him to continue without it. His thanks was to help me whenever I need it and he has.
Unread
  (#6)
opossum puncher

September 27, 2005, 10:13 AM

mawonline.com, always has closeouts etc, ebay also works well.

If you are interested in doing a TD or two get a two piece suit, you can wear the jacket for round town riding (wore mine to work today) and zip it together for the track works well.

Got a 2 piece teknic suit from mawonline for $250, teknic gauntlet gloves $12, teknic textile jacket $35 (all less shipping) all brand new.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#7)
Knee Draggin!

September 27, 2005, 05:53 PM

Buy gear you will wear.
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

September 27, 2005, 05:58 PM

I remember a quote from a ride leader on a DCSBN ride I went on a while ago (where someone crashed). He said: "Dress like you're going to crash, cause there's no time to change afterwards..."

Just a thought...

2001 GSXR 1000 (The bike that lit the afterburner on the liter class world)
2012 Monster 1100 Evo
2003 Yamaha YZFR6 (track only)

mmm... carbon fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by No One Ever
Awesome Prius!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to skwidrific Send a message via AIM to skwidrific  
Unread
  (#9)
FNG
Ridin' Nakid

September 27, 2005, 06:15 PM

I bought a Joe Rocket two piece Alter Ego suit. It isn't leather but it is very versitile. You might want to check out www.newenough.com . If you plan on doing a track day then you might want to invest in a leather suit. I know ZX6RR is thinking about selling his suit, if you don't mind second hand. Anywho, good luck.

- Scott -
05' SV1000s Black
-Yosh
-PCIII, dyno'd map
-BMG
Unread
  (#10)
Pleased to meet me

September 28, 2005, 06:53 AM

All you need is here:http://www.aerostich.com/home.php and http://www.vansonleathers.com/

Be really hip and get he hiz-viz stuff from Aerostich.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

September 28, 2005, 07:40 AM

Edited:

I ride in Alter Ego pants and Fieldsheer Jacket / Alpinestar leather jacket.

I rode a long time in a mesh jacket and jeans, finally getting a pair of totally versitile Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants. I've had them not for a little over a month and just wore them in the 50 degree night last night. With the liner in, I didn't feel a thing! It's hard to spend money like that for clothes just for riding, but it's the peace of mind and comfort that you pay for.

As far as boots go, I used to wear Sketcher leather boots. But finally got some Icon Super Duty II in all black. They look nice and don't look track-ish. Mid ankle protection is a lot nicer than regular street boots/shoes. They hold up quite well too. And they are much cheaper than racing boots.

As far as online shopping, Google's Froogle search works quite well. No sense in sticking with one vendor when another has the same thing cheaper.

New enough has great product reviews from the owner/s.

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#12)
When in Rome...

September 30, 2005, 07:27 AM

Thanks guys...maw online had some really cheap stuff. I'll probably end up getting a 2-pc suit and just wearing the jacket until I get ready for the track. For now I'm getting some boots and sticking with the alpinestars leather and gloves I've already got.

bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com

www.howtoavoidthebummerlife.com