DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 188
5 members and 183 guests
2blueyam, gvr4wd, Sal_the_man, Slider, tpadden
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Lower half protection for commuting?
Unread
  (#1)
Railing!

Lower half protection for commuting? - March 25, 2016, 09:49 AM

I've ridden to work dozens of times. I used to have a pair of textile overpants that I could wear over my work pants (business casual) but they got a little too warm on hot days. I then tried swapping pants and boots when I got to work, but that was annoying, so I switched to riding in only on nice Fridays when I could wear jeans and my Red Wings. That has worked for a while, but I am going to start commuting into the Pentagon and riding more frequently. I have several jackets and gloves to take care of the upper half, but I'd like it if I didn't have to go to the bathroom to change pants when I get to work.

I've looked at a few knee protections. Forcefield has their new(er) Graph Limb Tubes which look promising, though only my knees would be protected. I'm also not sure if I could put them on and take them off by just raising and lowering my pant legs. Thoughts on a setup that gets the job done but is easy to live with?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
opossum puncher

March 25, 2016, 09:55 AM

I have two pair of over pants for commuting, full textile for cooler days, and a mesh pair for warmer days, added a pair of frog togs over the mesh for the occasional summer shower.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#3)
no one's blowing up moons

March 25, 2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
I used to have a pair of textile overpants that I could wear over my work pants (business casual) but they got a little too warm on hot days.
It's just a fact that in protection vs comfort protection is always going to cost you somehow. I found that, in this area, if it was comfortable on the way to work it wasn't on the way home. Any combo I tried was too hot / too cold one way or the other. In winter I spent way too much time re-dressing before I could ride home. etc.

I have some mesh over-pants that I use a few days a year but when I get on the bike I keep thinking about all that nylon melting next to my skin if I slide across the asphalt.

You could go to Woodbridge next month and take a look at the R-3. (I like the 10 second on / off) Popup Washington DC :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
I don't know if they'll have the Darien, Darien Light or Falstaff pants at this event but you could ask about them. It's a good chance to check out their stuff and compare it to what else is out there.

I also like their armour. I still have a knee that works because of that armour.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
Unread
  (#4)
AMA Superbike Champ

March 25, 2016, 01:27 PM

I wear these under dress pants. Easy enough to slide on/off...unless you like slim fit pants lol.
Icon field armor.
Icon Field Armor Motorcycle Shin Guards Review - webBikeWorld

#1 Machine: Open Class Suzuki GS500K2 / Bridgestone package
#2 Machine: Factory Suzuki GSXR600K6 / Bridgestone package - Garage queen
Unread
  (#5)
Railing!

March 25, 2016, 01:44 PM

I wonder if mesh overpants would work. I actually sold my old pair because I never wore them. They always felt really goofy.

Some of my pants are slimmer, but most are just straight. Nothing "skinny." I haven't worn "relaxed" "loose" or "baggy" pants since I was in college.
Unread
  (#6)
AMA Superbike Champ

March 25, 2016, 02:00 PM

Didn't think about this before, since I also wear my Sidis, but the Icon field armor might slide down your leg if not wearing boots. I keep a pair of dress shoes @ work.

Unread
  (#7)
Railing!

March 25, 2016, 02:26 PM

I am probably going to do that - keep a couple pairs of shoes at my desk.
Unread
  (#8)
Track Day addict

March 25, 2016, 02:45 PM

That is the good part about being a guy. One pair of brown shoes and one pair of black shoes and you are set for pretty much anything you wear to the office.

When it gets really warm, I have a pair of Joe Rocket mesh pants or a pair of Diamond Gusset Kevlar lined jeans for Friday. I also have a Roadcrafter for top of the line on-off and protection when it isn't that hot out.

Of course all that just sits most of the time, as I work from home most of the time.

Dale - 2004 SV 650 track, 2003 R1 track, 2007 Tuono
Unread
  (#9)
Railing!

March 25, 2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blueyam View Post
That is the good part about being a guy. One pair of brown shoes and one pair of black shoes and you are set for pretty much anything you wear to the office.
Bingo. I generally only wear two pairs of shoes to work, plus my boots.

I wore my mesh pants a couple times. Once I wore them to a friend's place for a summer cookout. I had shorts on underneath, and I wore a pair of motorcycle boots and brought a pair of shoes to change into. It worked, but was a pain to drop my pants and then change shoes. Never did that again. Since I won't ride in anything less than regular jeans and boots, I tend to not ride in extreme heat. I'm hoping to ride in the summer as much as possible since I'm wearing pants anyway. Just don't know how vulnerable my ass or upper legs would be if I take a spill wearing dress pants.
Unread
  (#10)
Licensed Rider

March 25, 2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
Just don't know how vulnerable my ass or upper legs would be if I take a spill wearing dress pants.
It will take about a millisecond for the pants to shred, and it's your skin after that. It won't be pretty.

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
Unread
  (#11)
AMA Superbike Champ

March 25, 2016, 03:49 PM

Yeah, find it a hassle & look goofy to wear over-pants. Nice to park, hop off the bike, walk to my desk without attracting attention, slip off the field armor, and change shoes. Done.

Unread
  (#12)

March 25, 2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I also have a Roadcrafter for top of the line on-off and protection when it isn't that hot out.
Is it a classic? I got an Ultra-light (I think it's called an R-3 Light Tactical now) cause I thought the classic was just too heavy for this area. I was looking hard at the Darien Light but I really like that quick on/off that comes with the Roadcrafter.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz

Unread
  (#13)
Track Day addict

March 27, 2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam@dcsf View Post
Is it a classic? I got an Ultra-light (I think it's called an R-3 Light Tactical now) cause I thought the classic was just too heavy for this area. I was looking hard at the Darien Light but I really like that quick on/off that comes with the Roadcrafter.
I am sure it is classic, as it is about 15 years old. They only had one model of the full suit back then.

Dale - 2004 SV 650 track, 2003 R1 track, 2007 Tuono
Unread
  (#14)

March 28, 2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I am sure it is classic, as it is about 15 years old. They only had one model of the full suit back then.
From what I remember those things are pretty heavy. I can't imagine how long it took to break that suit in but I bet it makes winter riding so much better. I'm alright down into the 30's but commuting when it's down into the 20's starts getting cold.

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3

Unread
  (#15)
Mommy's Little Monster

March 28, 2016, 12:03 PM

I keep two pairs of shoes at work, and just change quickly once I arrive, it only takes a minute. I initially thought about getting overpants, but decided for true riding textile pants and have not once regretted the decision. FWIW, I commute every singe day, year-round, and love these as a 4 season option: REV'IT! Vapor Pants - RevZilla

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600