DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 608
2 members and 606 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

June 12, 2004, 02:34 PM

Hey, I am going to buy a jacket soon and want to know what are the pro's and con's (differences) between Textile and Mesh. I appreciate the help. I haven't looked at them much in person, but mostly i'm concerned with how they'll function when I go down. As they are priced around the same (right?) I want to pick the right one if I can't afford leather.

Thanks for helpin' the newbie
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Igrado Send a message via AIM to Igrado Send a message via MSN to Igrado  
Unread
  (#2)
Happiness Consultant

June 12, 2004, 04:38 PM

I could be wrong...but I was under the impression that most mesh jackets ARE textile....or made from textile.

so its probably better for you to ask what's better: leather or textile.

I like perforated leather (Joe Rocket Blaster) for early spring (with lining) and early summer (sans lining). Today was a perfect day for perforated leather. (75 degrees, mild wind).

then I switch to my First Gear Mesh-Tex for summer, early fall. Back to leather in the fall/early winter.

I would have to say that Ive survived with just the Blaster, so if $$ is an issue, just go with perforated leather. Plenty of Blasters can be found at a decent price on eBay. Im not familiar with other brands, so hopefully others will pipe in.

word

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#3)
Licensed Rider

June 12, 2004, 08:05 PM

Ya know, I got my jacket on E-bay brand new from a company out in California. All I did was send in the sizes and it fit perfectly. It is a nice leather, with kevlar inserts, liner and so on... I would check online as it saved me over 250 dollars.

KatRider
Katana 600 '99
Ashburn
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Railing!

June 13, 2004, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoSuave
I could be wrong...but I was under the impression that most mesh jackets ARE textile....or made from textile.
Hehe....my 1st thought as well.

I've a got a "textile" jacket from 1st Gear, Kilimajaro. Good quality for $300 (btw themís is 2000 $) and it's got many features such as: vents, armor, hydration pack etc. It's also got to be the hottest most uncomfortable mother-scratcher ever. It's so hot, I can barely wear it in the winter with all the vents open so you can just forget about spring and summer. Additionally, I just don't trust their safety compared to leather.

However, for all my bad-mouthing about "textiles", I know of numerous occasions where they did a great job protecting and can find no hard evidence to support any of my reservations. You just don't crash more than once in them.

I honestly believe that leather is much more versatile as far as heat and protection goes and if I could only afford 1 jacket it would be a decent quality perforated leather.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
boxing twins

June 13, 2004, 10:22 AM

Try out a Joe Rocket Alter Ego. It's 3 jackets in 1:
- waterproof rain liner (removable)
- armor (including back)
- outer shell zips off leaving armor in place, but exposing mesh.

It is the only 4 season jacket I've seen.

My girlfriend has it and absolutely loves it, and you know how fashion conscious and comfort oriented (except for shoes) they are.

I have the First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and use it all season. It is a little warm in the summer.

The only place I've seen routinely carry the Alter Ego jacket is Coleman's Powersports.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#6)
www.got-one.com

June 13, 2004, 09:49 PM

http://www.newenough.com/teknic_thunder_jacket_page.htm

Leather jaket for $120 I bought one about 1500 miles ago and it's great. but no armor included. it does have pockets for armor.

One of the zippers handle broke but it still worx

http://www.newenough.com/product_gro...ut_leather.htm
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to gotone