DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 517
3 members and 514 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Mini-Review: Cardo Scala G9
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

Mini-Review: Cardo Scala G9 - June 4, 2012, 04:07 PM

I posted this on advrider, so I thought I'd post it here as well.

Just got back from 1600 miles using the G9. Did NOT use the intercom feature as I have a single set. When I received the system, I charged it, put it on my helmet, and then over the next three days, completely drained it by using the radio and letting it drain out, then recharging it. Did this three times before my trip.

Battery Life - Used it 6 hours the first day, charged for about 30 - 45 minutes the next morning while packing up the campsite , then rode for another 9 hours. Never died. Day three, charged about 45 minutes at breakfast, and it lasted another 7 hours. Did not use day 4 and fully charged that night. Next day, rode another 10 hours, and it never died. Battery life for me - Excellent. MY use was radio the entire time, and calls once in awhile from the family.

The auto volume control worked rather well. Sound was loud enough but not enough bass. Not sure if this was the speaker or my phone. Mount stayed firm the entire time (screw on backplate and not glue).

One thing is you need to power on your phone's bluetooth BEFORE the G9. I had issues when first testing before the trip and this resolved my problems. If you swap the phone battery , turn off the phone, or just turn off the bluetooth, make sure and power off the G9 first, then power on the phone's bluetooth and then the G9.

Only issue I had was the music restarting. The music would be on, and as long as I received a call and let the other party hang up, it all worked fine and the music would automatically restart. If I initiated the call, it would pause the music, and I would have to resume by pressing the MP3 button for 2 sec. I did not get to test a hypothesis, but will try in the future. It seemed like if it was a short call that I initiated and ended, the music would auto restart, and if it was longer than maybe 2 minutes, I would have to restart the music manually.

I had no issues with finding the buttons using gloves. the radio worked well, but not as well as a car stereo of course. It was a pleasure having stereo as well. We did get stuck in a downpour for about 2 hours (of course without our rain gear) and the only thing that I had to do was get a change of clothes at Walmart. The G9 is waterproof as far as I'm concerned. During the 2 hour downpour and the next 2 hours of constant mist, never a glitch.

That's all I have. hopefully it helps a little. Overall, I am pleased with the G9 and would purchase it again.

As a side note. I use a full face helmet and used the boom mic since it fit fine. The wife heard me perfectly fine at close to 90 (testing purposes of course). On the way home, I was cruising at 70 and she did not believe that I was on the bike. I had a harder time hearing her at the higher speed, but could still understand. Helmet is a Shark Speed-R.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
girls just wanna have fun

June 5, 2012, 11:58 PM

I use the Scala Rider G4. When traveling long distances with a few other riders who also have it.. it's a blessing! No more confused hand signals. Haha..

Only thing I don't like about it is that it's kinda pricey, it doesn't switch from music to intercom that easily. Usually I either just have it switched to intercom so we're always connected or I just use my bluetooth to listen to my iPhone. also, the pairing can be a little hinky at times. But once it works, it's pretty good.

Our scala, fully charged, lasted over 14 hours on intercom mode... actually even a little more since one of the rides was from Daytona to Baltimore, average 65 mph (one guy had a KLR that didn't do well high speed). Trip took about 16 hours and scala didn't fail.

If it doesn't kill me, I'm doing it again.
1986 Honda Rebel 250 (tee-hee ... SOLD)
2001 Honda CBR F4i (SOLD)
2001 Honda Magna VF750
2007 Ducati S2R1000
2009 BMW F800ST
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whirled  
Unread
  (#3)
Licensed Rider

June 7, 2012, 07:51 AM

We have been using the G9 for a few weeks now and I can tell you the lack of bass is the system. Also, the VOX system is nice. I rarely use the buttons. I found them to be kind of annoying to find compared to the Q2 we used to have. The intercom is ok but there is a delay in connecting to the other rider and sometimes it will disconnect randomly to save battery and it will cut off part of what is said. Havent used anything beyond the 2 riders. I tried to register it online but get an error message every time I do. Working with Cardo to figure it out. Overall, it is a nice set. The speakers are plenty loud. I cant turn it up to the loudest setting or I will go deaf. Do wish there was more bass though.

ETA: Got registered online and it is really nice being able to set my presets easily for the radio. Also worked with Cardo to sort out my other issues. I found out if you connect with VOX, it will close after 30 seconds of silence (it counts motor and wind noise as silence) but if you use the button, it stays open until you hit the button again. Very happy with the unit now that I got all that sorted out.

Last edited by LaxBuddy21; June 19, 2012 at 06:25 PM..
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

June 7, 2012, 10:09 AM

The one selling feature for the BT headset I have was the very obvious and easy to press MUTE button. When in a group ride I always mute it when coming up to a stop cause I feel like an ass having to yell to people "I CAN'T HEAR YOU" after they already spoke a whole sentence or two to me.
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

June 16, 2012, 09:34 AM

Have any of you used the Sena SMH10? Just wondering; I'd like to hear comments comparing them.

-Nate
'15 R1200GS
'13 HP4
'08 YZF-R6
Unread
  (#6)
Licensed Rider

June 19, 2012, 06:23 PM

Sena SMH-10 initial review - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Here is a thread on the SV Rider message board I am a member of discussing it. Seems to be pretty popular.
Unread
  (#7)
Where's the beer?

November 21, 2012, 08:53 AM

I've been using the G4 for almost a year now. I use it daily commuting for music (bluetooth to the phone) and the occasional phone call. On trips I'll use it for the bike to bike communications - that alone almost makes them worth the price. That is, when they work. Like mentioned above, they can be finiky to get paired, or even re-connect an existing pair. Sometimes they seem to "disconnect" after a while if nobody's talking but after some fumbling with the buttons, they re-connect again. Regarding the lack of bass in the speakers, I agree. I usually wear earplugs on the bike and that alone makes the speakers sound 100% better. The only drawback is over 75, it's hard to hear phonecalls and some of the more mellow music.

I recently 'modded' the G4 base by cutting the speakers off and mounting a headphone jack, then use my sound isolating Etymotic headphones - 1000% improvement. Now the volume is not cranked all the up to 11 and I can hear all music and phone calls clearly at just about any speed I'm willing to ride.

While the G4 (and G9) are not foolproof, they are better communications devices than hand signals...

2004 R1150R
Itchin' for a ride