DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 555
4 members and 551 guests
CCS762ZX6, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Sal_the_man, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

December 30, 2004, 10:28 AM

Ok, picking up new bike, need gear.. I've had the misfortune of suffering road rash a time or 2 from bicycle wrecks (one of which saw me slide 15 feet down the road on my chest.. hospital scrubbed tshirt and sand/gravel out for about 20 minutes) and I know that shit hurts. First thing I need is a decently priced helmet. I dont need anything fancy looking, just a good, solid helmet that will protect me if I go down.. for the amount I'll be riding right now, it doesnt even have to be the most comfortable lid in the world. Next is a decent jacket that I can wear even when its warmer out (the idea of riding in just a t-shirt scares me alot.. next would be pants.. I've heard good things about Draggin jeans, but I want some opinions before I buy, and finally would be shoes/boots.. shifters arent nice to sneaker tops (I've spent alot of time on dirt bikes and shredded lots of shoes) so I'd like something a little more sturdy. Ok, I'm done asking newbie questions for now.. Thanks for the help
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
December 30, 2004, 10:45 AM

Mike unfortunatly for you now is the time to spen some serious coin. comfort in everything is paramount to saftey.Ican help you out in person better than online pm me with your digits

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

December 30, 2004, 11:52 AM

I love my Alpinestars TZ-1 jacket and GP Plus gloves. I have an OGK helmet which is kinda loud but I wear ear plugs anyway. For rides out of town I'll be wearing my Joe Rocket GPX suit. I have Sidi Vertebra boots for all times when riding.

I bought all my stuff from kneedraggers.com and my boots from newenough.com.

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#4)
Happiness Consultant

December 30, 2004, 12:09 PM

flip flops, canvas shorts and a hanes tank top is all I need...

oh, one of those beanie lids for a helmet too

on a serious note, my Perforated Joe Rocket Blaster has been crash tested but you no one has ever noticed. I wear it until the temp hits 90, then I go with my First Gear Mesh-Tex, not crash tested. Sidi Vertebra boots just like Brooks are also crash tested(twice) and still look new.

for a lid, spend the coin, its only your head....go with Shoei, but some peeps will say Arai.

gloves - had lots of luck with the Joe Rocket and AGVSport stuff.

word

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#5)
Pleased to meet me

December 30, 2004, 01:39 PM

top to bottom:

head: arai
top: vanson
gloves: heavy leather
pants: vanson
boot: alpinestars
Unread
  (#6)
( * )|( * )

December 30, 2004, 04:21 PM

Helmet go with SHOEI or Arai...if money is a major concern some shops do have specials which will help out. What ever you do, don't go cheap on a helmet. Visors you may want to consider a clear for daytime/night time riding. Personally, I don't like to wear sunglasses or tinted visors since I like to see everything...just a personal preference.

When you're looking at leather jackets, consider padding when you are looking and you may want to spend the $90 and get a back protector.
Areas you want padding are your elbows, shoulders, back, collar bone.

Like you I've been down while cycling (CAT II/III)...once at 45mph (over the bars because the chain snapped in a sprint to the finish of a race) and once at 35mph (hit a large pothole which sent me flying sideways into the ground)so keep padding in mind. Both times I was in a skin suit so the only thing that saved me was knowing how to roll but I lost my share of skin.

Pants, look for knee protection, hip protection, and you could go with either mesh or leather. Mesh will protect you however, they won't last more than one crash depending on speed. I spoke to several people about this who knew people who have gone down wearing mesh and leather and either one will do a good job...leather of course is stronger.

Feet, boots are important, I think you could get away with combat style boots but the benefit of actual riding boots are the skid pads which help when you really lean the bike and also they have the plastic sliders on the ankle and other areas in case you do crash, you don't want your foot getting caught on anything.

Gloves, look for gloves that have good knuckle protection, sliders on the fingers, thumb, and good palm protection as well. Make sure you get gloves that fit well and are comfortable...another area you may want to consider spending that little extra bit of money. I have the Joe Rocket GPX gloves which I like a lot and they are very well padded, picked them up on sale from Coleman's for $60. I have the same outfit as brooks...the Joe Rocket GPX leather outfit which has a good amount of padding and costs around $560 new. Check out kneedraggers.com and other sites because they are usually lower than the shops in the area.

Good topic!

PM if you have any questions!

-Chris

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#7)
Has an idiot exemption

December 30, 2004, 06:50 PM

Mike,
Since you are in Winchester why don't you stop by Valley Cycle and I'll show you around.
I work in bike sales but I'd be glad to show you gear.
I don't care if you buy anything, I'll just show you different kinds of gear with no pressure to buy.
Feel free to ask all the questions you'd like.
Just stop by and ask for Steve..it will be nice to meet you.

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#8)
( * )|( * )

December 30, 2004, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZX9
Mike,
Since you are in Winchester why don't you stop by Valley Cycle and I'll show you around.
I work in bike sales but I'd be glad to show you gear.
I don't care if you buy anything, I'll just show you different kinds of gear with no pressure to buy.
Feel free to ask all the questions you'd like.
Just stop by and ask for Steve..it will be nice to meet you.
I didn't realize you were out West, Valley does have some good prices and very good selection.

And Steve...that black R1...I told Jeff we had to leave before we ended up bringing two bikes back!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#9)
Has an idiot exemption

December 31, 2004, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
And Steve...that black R1...I told Jeff we had to leave before we ended up bringing two bikes back!
Yeah...it was bad-ass!
I sold it today...

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net