DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 547
8 members and 539 guests
2blueyam, beatle, CCS762ZX6, legendindisguise, Nobrains, Sal_the_man, Speed3, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

May 10, 2005, 04:12 PM

Hello hello,

I'm looking into buying a new helmet and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for reliable/cost-effective vendors. I would like a HJC or KBC; however, if there is an amazing deal out there on the more expensive brands (Arai )....I just might have to give in.

http://www.mawonline.com/ <-- heard bad things about shipping

http://www.newenough.com/ <-- limited selection

I just figured that there had to be some great deals out there....might as well ask!

Thank you
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to phelanx  
Unread
  (#2)
Got my Permit

May 10, 2005, 04:14 PM

Kneedraggers.com--I have a shark, They are new to the US but Europeans have been using them for a while. I love mine, and Miguel Duhamel started wearing them this year. They have like 5 or 6 lines starting from about 180 to 650. Good luck
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
What's today? aah fuck it

May 10, 2005, 04:18 PM

I saw a very nice KBC helmet at Champion Motorsports in Herndon. It was stealth black...you might like it. Price was $200 with at 20% discount when I last saw it.
Unread
  (#4)
ATTN INVESTORS!

May 10, 2005, 04:39 PM

The latest issue of Motorcyclist has a very interesting write up on the standards that helmets must meet and the ongoing debate of what better protects your brain during an accident. The story covers how helmets are supposed to protect in theory and how current tests are performed. Its very enlightening and some of their findings may surprise you. DOT only approved helmets actually tested lower in G-forces which is the real culprit in damaging your gray matter. Snell 2000/DOT approved actually tested with the highest G-forces which increases the chances of brain injury.

A former director a Snell Foundation, actually said that the Snell stickers have become a marketing gimmick. "By spending 60 cents [paid to the Snell Foundation], a manufacturer puts that sticker in their helmet and they can increase the price by 30, 40, 60, even 100 dollars.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rekoniz  
Unread
  (#5)
MSF Student

May 10, 2005, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKat
I saw a very nice KBC helmet at Champion Motorsports in Herndon. It was stealth black...you might like it. Price was $200 with at 20% discount when I last saw it.
Actually, it's odd that you mention that helmet. That's the one that I was trying to hunt down earlier. I need some more specifics on the location though....no idea where that is

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekoniz
A former director a Snell Foundation, actually said that the Snell stickers have become a marketing gimmick. "By spending 60 cents [paid to the Snell Foundation], a manufacturer puts that sticker in their helmet and they can increase the price by 30, 40, 60, even 100 dollars.
ACK! I really hope that's not true. That seems like a load of BS to me. How are you supposed to tell if it is actually snell/DOT approved then?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to phelanx  
Unread
  (#6)
Got my Permit

June 2, 2005, 09:01 AM

i was REALLY interested in that kbc stealth helmet and googled it. both the modular and the regular helmet got pretty bad reviews for noise and fit.....sucks cause it looks badassed. just google it, i forgot the model name so i cant provide a direct link and am too lazy to find it.

*EDIT*but i think you can find the helmet online for 160-180 depending where you look since most of the stores are charging 200+ for it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to D-rock  
Unread
  (#7)
Got my Permit

June 2, 2005, 09:04 AM

sorry for the double posting but the snell/dot ratings are i BELIEVE "handled" by the manufacturer
(basically you're taking their word for it) what we REALLY need is an independent new system that tests all these helmets.
Unread
  (#8)
AMA Superbike Champ

June 2, 2005, 09:05 AM

i say go with SHOEI i love them granted its a little expensive but to me its worth it

E_M_A_G_D_N_I_M
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to fictionnn Send a message via AIM to fictionnn  
Unread
  (#9)
Railing!

June 2, 2005, 09:12 AM

I like kneedragger as well, though they sometimes have limited selections of what I'm looking for.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JDogg5  
Unread
  (#10)
AMA Superbike Champ

June 2, 2005, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekoniz
Well that is very unfortunate. How can someone really do any homework as to which helmet is truly safe accord'n to safety standards and test'n if they can just buy a sticker to mark up their prices?

RICO

'01 http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...GSXR750XK5.jpg

Ready at the drop of a spoon...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NiceTry Send a message via MSN to NiceTry  
Unread
  (#11)
Got my Permit

June 2, 2005, 10:42 AM

i should just go ahead and get that kbc....cant possibly be worse than my current almost 10 year old hjc helmet(yea yea i know.....i KNOW)
Unread
  (#12)
LETS GO CAPS!!!

June 2, 2005, 10:44 AM

Right now i have 5 helmets. 4 diffrent brands. This is how i rank them in comfort and quality, #1 SUOMY,#2 ARAI, #3 AGV, #4 HJC. There's a price to pay for #1 and #2 but they are worth it! So dont buy a cheap helmet, your head is worth more than a $150 helmet. Good luck finding that perfect helmet!
Unread
  (#13)
DAS BOOT

June 2, 2005, 11:01 AM

If you spend any money on anything, get a GOOD helmet and get some leathers.
Don't just get it because it is on sale. I heard Suomy's are good and inexpensive. I know several people who swear by them. Just do your research and get something you KNOW will protect your head if you ever go down.

Wow. Just..................wow.
Unread
  (#14)
AMA Superbike Champ

June 2, 2005, 11:19 AM

I like the pretty colors...

RICO

'01 http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...GSXR750XK5.jpg

Ready at the drop of a spoon...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NiceTry Send a message via MSN to NiceTry  
Unread
  (#15)
Happiness Consultant

June 2, 2005, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelanx
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKat
Actually, it's odd that you mention that helmet. That's the one that I was trying to hunt down earlier. I need some more specifics on the location though....no idea where that is
is this the one ya'll are talking about
http://www.motoxoutlet.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=832

you should also check out the helmets on this site, pretty good discounts, decent selection. I'm actually looking at the new Shoei RF1000s.

word

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave