DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 548
1 members and 547 guests
Nobrains
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
New helmet? Literally?
Unread
  (#1)
Railing!

New helmet? Literally? - August 17, 2015, 08:13 PM

About 3 years ago I bought a used Shoei Qwest on ebay. It's been great to me, but with a manufacture date of 10/2011, I've only got about another year before it's too old for some track day organizations. I tried some other helmets on but didn't find any that fit me as well as the Qwest, so I bought a new one from Revzilla. When I opened it up I found the date of manufacture to be 7/2011. That's even older than my current helmet!

I sent them an email asking if there was a way I could get a helmet that was at least made this year. They were fast in responding even on the weekend, but they told me it was "logistically impossible" to ship out a helmet based on a date range. They told me to check local shops. Anyone have a source for "new" Qwests? Coleman is the only shop I'm familiar with, but the last two times I've been in there trying on stuff and looking at bikes, nobody even says hi.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Groping is a skill...

August 17, 2015, 08:27 PM

Call Rick at RnR. The only thing I don't like about the Qwest is the the non replaceable/washable internal pads. Also look into the GTAir. It's a much newer helmet so the manufactured date will be much closer and it's an overall better helmet for the money. It fits just like the Qwest with better internals and air circulation. It's made for upright riding as well.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Fast Lane Racing

August 18, 2015, 08:29 AM

+1 on the RNR. They'll get you taken care of.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

August 18, 2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
...I bought a new one from Revzilla. When I opened it up I found the date of manufacture to be 7/2011. That's even older than my current helmet!
Was it on closeout? Did they refund your money? I could see a closeout helmet being older, but 4 years... That's a stretch without advertising it as such and offering a very deep discount.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#5)
Railing!

August 18, 2015, 10:42 AM

It was not a closeout. Just a regular gloss black medium Qwest: Shoei Qwest Helmet - Solid - RevZilla

I'll also look into the GT Air. I thought track helmets needed to be Snell or ECE certified?
Unread
  (#6)
i suck at the introweb

August 18, 2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
About 3 years ago I bought a used Shoei Qwest on ebay. It's been great to me, but with a manufacture date of 10/2011, I've only got about another year before it's too old for some track day organizations. I tried some other helmets on but didn't find any that fit me as well as the Qwest, so I bought a new one from Revzilla. When I opened it up I found the date of manufacture to be 7/2011. That's even older than my current helmet!

I sent them an email asking if there was a way I could get a helmet that was at least made this year. They were fast in responding even on the weekend, but they told me it was "logistically impossible" to ship out a helmet based on a date range. They told me to check local shops. Anyone have a source for "new" Qwests? Coleman is the only shop I'm familiar with, but the last two times I've been in there trying on stuff and looking at bikes, nobody even says hi.
Holly Crap Batman!!! WTF are they still holding that in stock for? What was there excuse for having and selling such an old helmet?

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
Unread
  (#7)
Railing!

August 18, 2015, 10:56 AM

They didn't really have any reasoning for why they had such old stock. I actually thought that a popular color like black would have had a lot of turnover and would be newer than most. Guess not.
Unread
  (#8)
whoa preppy......

August 18, 2015, 11:19 AM

It's been my understanding that UV and usage is what wears out a helmet. I'd think that even though your man date is 2011, you'd get a pass to be able to extend that date due to it sitting in a box for a long time.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Real Men Pedal

August 18, 2015, 11:35 AM

They should have never sold you that.
Unread
  (#10)
Railing!

August 18, 2015, 11:35 AM

I think you're probably right, but the only reason I'm replacing my current Qwest is because of its date code which may not pass tech at a track event. I only use it in fair weather from 50-90 degrees, so it's had a relatively easy life compared to a 365 day commuter. The key is proving to the guy at tech that my helmet is still good based on its actual usage.
Unread
  (#11)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

August 18, 2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t84a View Post
They should have never sold you that.
WHY?

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#12)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

August 18, 2015, 11:40 AM

At RNR we have Speed And Strength and Arai Helmets in stock. And yes you need to make sure when you goto the track the helmet is date coded 5 years or less.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#13)
easyrider

August 18, 2015, 11:49 AM

I got a helmet once from Sportbike Track Gear on closeout. Emailed them about the date and they were able to check within a half hour and ship me the one they checked (used for track also). "logistically impossible" should be replaced with "lazy and poor business practice"
Unread
  (#14)
Railing!

August 18, 2015, 11:52 AM

I sent this back to Revzilla as my response.

Quote:
That seems pretty lousy to have a helmet over 4 years old sitting on the shelf. While I can tell it is actually "new" in the sense that it is not pre-owned, that fact is unlikely to find mercy with a track tech who won't let me on track with it next August. I'm not sure if the ultimate fault lies with Shoei or Revzilla logistics for holding helmet stock for such a long period, but it ends up being a inconvenince and a financial burden on the consumer having to return something with less than 20% of its usable life.

Guess I'll start the return process today.
I've been pleased with their service in the past. I haven't ordered a ton of stuff from them, but I've gotten tires and armor, and their return process for gloves was painless. I'll probably still order some stuff from them again, but no helmets unless their logistics improve.

This situation begs the question - what is the acceptable time a helmet can sit on the shelf before being sold? 6 months? 1 year? 2 years? Revzilla apparently thinks 49 months is cool.
Unread
  (#15)
Real Men Pedal

August 18, 2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
WHY?
It's too old. It's like buying 4 year old tires. Helmets degrade from sitting as well. If they want to get rid of them, note the age and discount them.