DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 628
4 members and 624 guests
2blueyam, Deep, dubplaya, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
new leather jacket hits helmet, causes stickage
Unread
  (#1)
My Bike is Pretty

new leather jacket hits helmet, causes stickage - November 5, 2007, 08:05 AM

just bought my first leather jacket... (alpinestars stage)... i was afraid this issue was going to come up so I bought a jacket I specifically thought would be the best at staying off my helmet... the stage has a nice fabric neck on the back...

The problem is the back leather, below the fabric, seems to creep up my back and touches my helmet (into my helmet's personal space) causing the leather and the helmet to not slide together easily (sticking)... causing it sometimes difficult to turn my head, not a good thing, as we all know...

Questions:
1) is this typical, does it happen to others, or do i just have a really strange body type to be riding motorcycles (I suspect the latter).

2) any magical ideas out there on what to do about it...? I've sown in a belt loop for riding with jeans, but that didn't really help much. The back pad seems to be leading the push up, so I've thought about trimming the top of the back bad a bit as well.

3) it's also possible the jacket's just not broken in enough... i.e. perhaps my arms are putting upward pressure on the back of the jacket, which might fix itself over time... any advice on breaking in jackets fast?

Thanks in advance for the help, I'm dying here!!!!!!!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to brian143 Send a message via Yahoo to brian143 Send a message via MSN to brian143  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

November 5, 2007, 08:30 AM

trim the back pad. I trimmed the top and the bottom of the pad to make it shorter overall. it helped.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
No bike, jus here 4 drama

November 5, 2007, 09:08 AM

what kind of helmet do you wear? is it too big? this might be causing it to fit further down your neck and rub on the jacket..

Sometimes my back protector creeps up on me and starts to rub on the back of mine..

"Spin"
Blue '07 R1 (CRASHED RIP)
Sponsored by Winchester Orthopedics

Not responsible if anything I say causes you to kill yourself.
Unread
  (#4)
My Bike is Pretty

November 5, 2007, 09:19 AM

helmet's a shoei rf-1000... it's definitely not too long for my head... too short if anything (i have a tall head)... though the rf-1000 does have this annoying little wind scoop off the lower back I've thought about trimming off... but I'm hesitant to make any aerodynamic changes to a helmet...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to brian143 Send a message via Yahoo to brian143 Send a message via MSN to brian143  
Unread
  (#5)
coooooookie

November 5, 2007, 09:25 AM

Try a protectant on the leather such as 303 aerospace. It should make it slide a little better. you can also apply it to the bottom of the helmet (the plastic parts as well as the paint).

John
'07 ZX-6R
NESBA #10
Sportbiketracktime #10

JEMM Auto detailing
Cars, Bikes, RV's, Trailers, bathtubs. If you pay me I will buff it.
Unread
  (#6)
TEAM.SUKUZI

November 5, 2007, 09:34 AM

sounds like u have a jacket bigger then it should be...

sex addict