DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 470
3 members and 467 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
new lid from sportbiketrackgear
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

new lid from sportbiketrackgear - February 11, 2012, 05:36 PM

my helmets are all approaching their expiration, so i decided to grab a new lid. Went with the bell star. It had a ton of great reviews, good aero, venting, fit/finish, and all the bells and whistles. the big kicker was the availability of a photo chromatic visor. I always seem to have the wrong visor on, and carrying around and swapping visors gets old. I love my RSR2, but the one complaint i had was visor selection.

I wear S, so i preferred a snell2010 over a snell2005, and sportbiketrackgear had the cerwinske's on closeout for $350. I liked the design and was reminded of it from the recent custom helmet thread. The smalls were listed as backordered, but i was in no rush so I placed the order.

I quickly got an email form STG stating that this version of the helmet has been discontinued, so "backordered" unfortunately really meant all out. I was bummed, but after talking with STG, the shells/eps for XS and S are the same, with just a top pad difference. So I asked them to change the order to an XS and add the thinner top pad ($30). I figured 380 for a top end helmet was still a hell of a deal. They added it, and to my surprise they waived the price! big props to STG. I've dealt with them several times and each time they always find a way to hook me up. I'd say i'd buy with them purely out of loyalty in the future, but their prices are always killer anyways, so I really could just go to them purely out of $ selfishness. Their review vids are great, and the new 360 view videos are a nice alternative to the stock images you see on every other site. Customer service is fast, competent, and all around great. cant say enough about STG.

got the helmet on friday. It feels great and fit and finish is definitely up to par with other high end helmets. I can't wait to take it for a spin. Not bad for $350!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Groping is a skill...

February 11, 2012, 06:25 PM

Good buy! Snell 10 Stars are nice helmets. I'm always amazed that they can offer such great discounts on them. If you're looking for other good buys look out for the Shark RSR2s. Just got a size S for my girl for $250! If they had the large I would have snatched one too.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
No more 1050 :(

February 11, 2012, 06:27 PM

have heard a lot of good things about the Bell Stars... our local camel fucker has one and likes it.
Unread
  (#4)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

February 11, 2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz1050
have heard a lot of good things about the Bell Stars... our local camel fucker has 3 of them and loves them.
fixed.

I've got a c-note, gobert replica, and a carbon speed freak . Stars are the shit and they show it in the summer months.

How bout that helmet bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nard Dog
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

XBOX - cameihumps
Unread
  (#5)
Railing!

February 12, 2012, 05:52 AM

How is the fit compared to the RSR2? I already got a replacement for my old RSR2 but I like to get as much info from those that have had the same helmets as me.

My Shark was perfect in everything except the fact that the tip of my nose touched the shell. I was deciding between that and the Bell before I purchased it.

CCS AM #108

---Mad-Moto---

'06 R6 (Race)
'13 S1000RR (Street)
Unread
  (#6)
AMA Superbike Champ

February 12, 2012, 07:54 AM

we need to stir some interest and find someone who will do a group buy on the transition visor... if we get them all sent to one person we could probably save even more.. 120 is just too much.

2005 R6 Raven
2007 DRZ400SM
Unread
  (#7)
AMA Superbike Champ

February 12, 2012, 09:09 AM

OP: that is a good looking helmet and a great price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwards28 View Post
My Shark was perfect in everything except the fact that the tip of my nose touched the shell. I was deciding between that and the Bell before I purchased it.
I'm also an RSR2 fan (bought your Duhamel last year) and am hoping to see them follow through and get their helmets back over here this month or next. That said, I bought an RS-1 from STG at Christmas. I haven't ridden with it but it feels great wearing it around the house. The biggest difference I noticed v the RSR2 is that that latter always folds over the top of my ears but the RS-1 doesn't. It's also a little heavier than the RSR2 (1575 grams v 1290) but I still think it's a good alternative.

Not to jack the thread but here's a comparison review of the RS-1 and Star.

Bell RS-1 Helmet Review

And here's my RS-1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1622.jpg (502.7 KB, 14 views)

05 CBR600RR
Unread
  (#8)
Railing!

February 12, 2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADAR Magnet View Post
The biggest difference I noticed v the RSR2 is that that latter always folds over the top of my ears but the RS-1 doesn't.
Come to think of it, mine did that also. Had to reach up and unfold my ears when I put it on. I guess I got used to it.

Back to the Star, I seem to remember reading that it was quite loud compared to other helmets in the price range. But it is a great looking lid. I think it's the shape that catches my eye. Looks more angular than other helmets.

CCS AM #108

---Mad-Moto---

'06 R6 (Race)
'13 S1000RR (Street)
Unread
  (#9)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

February 12, 2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwards28

Come to think of it, mine did that also. Had to reach up and unfold my ears when I put it on. I guess I got used to it.

Back to the Star, I seem to remember reading that it was quite loud compared to other helmets in the price range. But it is a great looking lid. I think it's the shape that catches my eye. Looks more angular than other helmets.
Yea it's quite loud but that is a byproduct of the amount of ventilation it has. I'll gladly wear ear plugs or buds to deal with the sound because it is a more than fair trade off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nard Dog
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

XBOX - cameihumps
Unread
  (#10)
50th anni

February 12, 2012, 11:56 AM

nice looking helmet

...And Boom Goes the Dynamite!

cbr f3= sold
636= gone
r6= sold
cbr 1k= sold
vino 125= stolen
zuma= yutt uggh
Unread
  (#11)
Your Ad Here

February 12, 2012, 12:16 PM

I picked up a Bell Star C-note to replace my aged Shark RSR.
No qualms so far. Great value for money. Going to be hard to justify the cost of an Arai or Shark ever again unless they are on sale or discount.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
Groping is a skill...

February 12, 2012, 02:37 PM

Anytime you buy a race helmet you're going to sacrifice sound for better ventilation. Except for the Corsair V. That's just a pimp helmet.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
Tough guy

February 12, 2012, 02:58 PM

I have the exact helmet (Bell Star White Cerwinske) and photocromatic shield. I picked it up at motoGP last August. My previous Shoei X11 was causing my ears to get pinned and sore after long rides. The Bell Star is FANTASTIC and gets tons of compliments! Its also great not changing shields when it gets dark.

Light, great ventilation, comfortable, the padding is soft, doesn't rub my neck raw and wicks away moisture! You are gonna love it!
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

February 13, 2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwards28 View Post
How is the fit compared to the RSR2? I already got a replacement for my old RSR2 but I like to get as much info from those that have had the same helmets as me.

the crown fitment is pretty much the same as the rsr2 (and pretty similar to all the other brands w/ the intermediate oval shape). For me, the chin bar on the rsr2 always felt pretty close. The chin bar is a bit further on the star, but still close. no idea if it'll clear your nose though!

i was too lazy to gear up this morning, so i drove in. I'll probably putter around a little bit later today though.