DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 524
3 members and 521 guests
davidcycle, dubplaya, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
True Riyduh

October 5, 2004, 12:22 PM

What's the deal with accent lighting? It seems to me that it's a great safety mod for night riding... I know it's illegal for cars, but is it the same for bikes? If so, why? Is it "rice" in the bike community? I don't know unless I ask...

Opinions?

I have........ no bike.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to P-Luva Send a message via AIM to P-Luva Send a message via MSN to P-Luva  
Unread
  (#2)
What's today? aah fuck it

October 5, 2004, 01:22 PM

Accent lights, as in LEDs or neons? I don't know about LEDs, but I do have some neons on my bike. It is a bit 'ricey' but it looks good on my bike and I like it. However, I don't turn them on while riding b/c they are illegal, and you'll have a phat ticket from FFX LEOs if they ever catch you with them on. But in MD & DC (not positive) but i think it is legal....I turn them on when I'm around DC at night, and when in traffic on the MD stretch of 495. But as soon as I get into VA, they go off! Unless i'm in a parking lot, then they can't give you a ticket for that.

So, to answer your question. Does it help to be seen in crazy 495 traffic? Yes! I remember one night when I was riding home and I really had no desire to speed, so I was doing the speed limit or 5-10 over. Just about every car/truck/van on the road was passing me; even 18 wheelers. I really didn't feel like speeding up so I just kept going 10 over and turned on my neons to be seen better.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
True Riyduh

October 5, 2004, 01:27 PM

Yeah, that's what I meant. So, it's considered ricey in the bike community... Any idea where I can check to see whether or not it's illegal in MD for sure?

I personally think it makes good sense, but maybe I'm not considering something...

I have........ no bike.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to P-Luva Send a message via AIM to P-Luva Send a message via MSN to P-Luva  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

October 5, 2004, 01:34 PM

Magic-Rat had some lights on his bike. You might want to ask what he used.

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#5)
Licensed Rider

October 5, 2004, 01:36 PM

DAMN..VA sucks as far as traffic laws go...automatic reckless at 85...no neons...that's some bullshyt...what other bullshyt traffic laws exist in VA?

Gix, what type of neons you got...I'm gonna put some CCFLs on my joint next season...I had them before, but they fell off ...my boy did a make-shift support bracket and them shyts got fugged up...

Sex is like a game of spades; if you don't have a good partner you better have a good hand!

I luv phat a$$es...big ti!!ies are just a bonus!

No matter how lowered your CIVIC is, you won't win a race against me...that's just the way it is!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kdybread  
Unread
  (#6)
Site Owner

October 5, 2004, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdybread
DAMN..VA sucks as far as traffic laws go...automatic reckless at 85...no neons...that's some bullshyt...what other bullshyt traffic laws exist in VA?
FYI, its automatic reckless at 80. Even if you are in a 65.

Also its automatic reckless anything 20+mph, so, 80 in a 60 for example is reckless.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#7)

October 5, 2004, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdybread
Gix, what type of neons you got...I'm gonna put some CCFLs on my joint next season...I had them before, but they fell off ...my boy did a make-shift support bracket and them shyts got fugged up...
I had mine done professionaly at Kar-Tunes in Sterling. They used regular 9' and 6' neons and ran them to a switch near my clutch. Unless you look under the bike, all these lights are not visible. There are two 6' neons under the tail section, one 9' on the bottom of the body fairing, and one 9' under the front fairing. All the lights and the mounts (except the front one) survived a crash and a theft.
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

October 5, 2004, 01:51 PM

It's not automatic reckless @ 20 over. I was written for 21 over no reckless. it's the cops disgression in va. I was radared 76/55. Might be different on I-95. I was on a backroad.

I argued it down to 10-19 over anyway

If you drink and ride, I have no pity for you. At all, ever.
Unread
  (#9)
True Riyduh

October 5, 2004, 01:51 PM

This guy's R6 is pretty tight (to me). I was thinkin' of doing the same type thing.... He doesn't seem to be using neons though...

http://www.highbimmin.com/Install/Kuryakyn.htm

I have........ no bike.
Unread
  (#10)
True Riyduh

October 5, 2004, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy6
It's not automatic reckless @ 20 over. I was written for 21 over no reckless. it's the cops disgression in va. I was radared 76/55. Might be different on I-95. I was on a backroad.

Y'all tryin' to jack my thread, eh? Just right in my face, huh? Like I'm not even here, right? Okay... Doin' me dirt dawg..

I have........ no bike.
Unread
  (#11)
True Riyduh

October 5, 2004, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Y'all tryin' to jack my thread, eh? Just right in my face, huh? Like I'm not even here, right? Okay... Doin' me dirt dawg..

I have........ no bike.
Unread
  (#12)

October 5, 2004, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Luva
This guy's R6 is pretty tight (to me). I was thinkin' of doing the same type thing.... He doesn't seem to be using neons though...

http://www.highbimmin.com/Install/Kuryakyn.htm
I don't know what the hell that guy is using, but it looks tight. I don't about running them as strobe lights tho...I can tell you that if LEOs ever saw you with flashing visible red or blue lights...that's YOUR ASS!!
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

October 5, 2004, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:

your thread was jacked out of the hole-

Is it "rice" on a bike? yeah. Completely and totally. Hell, a guy in this thread has Neon and admits that it's "rice".

If you want it....get it. Is it illegal? Yes. Want to look stupid while increasing your chances for having the po po give you shit? Be my guest.

If you are trying to convince yourself that it's safer to have while riding, you're kidding yourself. It's for looking dope when you ride past the mall. There isn't a single item you can bolt onto your bike that will increase your safety with cages on the highway. Your only hope is defensive driving and watching at all times. Blinging won't make people stop pulling into your lane or cutting you off. It's up to you to give yourself enough room to allow for the caged morons out there.

If you drink and ride, I have no pity for you. At all, ever.
Unread
  (#14)
True Riyduh

October 5, 2004, 02:49 PM

[quote="Twiggy6"]
Quote:
Quote:

your thread was jacked out of the hole- Please explain further...

Is it "rice" on a bike? yeah. Completely and totally. Hell, a guy in this thread has Neon and admits that it's "rice".
If you want it....get it. Is it illegal? Yes.
...Thank you.

If you are trying to convince yourself......
No, I'm asking a question and giving my thoughts on it
...that it's safer to have while riding, you're kidding yourself ...Thank you.

Thank you so much.

I have........ no bike.
Unread
  (#15)
Site Owner

October 5, 2004, 03:48 PM

Quote:

From VA code:

46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.
A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit where the applicable speed limit is thirty miles per hour or less, (ii) at a speed of sixty miles per hour or more where the applicable maximum speed limit is thirty-five miles per hour, (iii) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limits where the applicable maximum speed limit is forty miles per hour or more, or (iv) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

So I guess the 20 over rule doesn't apply if you're going 35. But everywhere else - 20+ over is reckless.

Thread jacking is what CWB is all about!

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper