DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 194
4 members and 190 guests
Nobrains, Sal_the_man, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Noob needs some gear
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

Noob needs some gear - April 19, 2012, 04:12 PM

So the wife finally relented and I'm allowed (funny how I'm allowed to spend my own money) to get a bike finally. Taking the MSF class Memorial Day weekend and I need gear for that and for riding. I plan on getting a ZX-6r or CBR600RR (preferably 07+, but under $5k).

Any advice on a good set of gear that won't kill the wallet? I was looking at the Bell Vortex line for my lid, and outside of that no clue. Wife demanded I get a leather jacket instead of mesh so that is another requirement. Main riding will be street, and maybe a trackday way down the road once I get a lot of parking lot time in. I don't care if its last season stuff on closeout, I'm just looking for best bang for the buck that I know will offer as much protection as I reasonably can get. Any help with helmet, boots, gloves, and jacket would be awesome.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

April 19, 2012, 04:16 PM

Spend the money on really good gear and use the rest on the bike. A fast bike wont do dick if you crash in "cheap" gear.
Check out bikebandit.com as half of their site seems to be on closeout at all times.
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

April 19, 2012, 04:20 PM

Closeouts :: MotorcycleGear.com
MotoGear Outlet - Motorcycle jackets, helmets, luggage and more...
The Hottest Deals are at Motorcycle Closeouts
Unread
  (#4)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

April 19, 2012, 04:22 PM

depending on how tall you are i might have a jacket for you. (if its still at my moms place)

As far as leather and mesh...youll die of heat exhaustion in a full thick leather jacket, plus MOST of nice mesh jackets have thick padding etc etc. Purely up to you and your preference, But ive wrecked in a mesh jacket, jeans and boots... Jeans boots and jacket all held up....but when you're sliding on cement it really doesn't matter you'll still get burnt a bit!.

But + to you on WANTING gear and doing the MSF!

[SIGPIC]http://www.griseldaonline.it/foto/6galleria/tradimenti/warhol%20last%20supper%201986.jpg[/SIGPIC]The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

Last edited by Jw626; April 19, 2012 at 04:26 PM..
Unread
  (#5)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
April 19, 2012, 04:23 PM

Check out Newenough.com .....there close out prices can be silly cheap on good gear. In terms of gear get good stuff. No need to get full on race boots but get boots that offer good ankle support/protection.

Heed your wife's demands and get the leather jacket. My perforated AGV jacket is a little toasty In the summer but flows more than enough air so as long as I am moving I am good.

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

April 19, 2012, 04:36 PM

Newenough.com is now motorcyclegear.com, which is my first link. No need to go to both as its the same place.
Unread
  (#7)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
April 19, 2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy
Newenough.com is now motorcyclegear.com, which is my first link. No need to go to both as its the same place.
Ya learn something new each day! Had no idea they were the same place now.

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#8)
Licensed Rider

April 19, 2012, 05:37 PM

Thanks for looking out. My plan was the get a leather jacket that is perforated as I dont want to bake like a potato.

I'm 25yo 6ft 175lbs, what kind of jacket do you have? I'm not too big on flashy colors or graphics as I would prefer more low key designs.
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

April 19, 2012, 05:44 PM

You have it backwards.

Gear first, then the bike.

There's more to gear than helmet and jacket.
Unread
  (#10)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

April 19, 2012, 05:47 PM

I think a technik(dont quote on brand) or something its rainproof, but im 6'1 and its kind of short on me,torso wise... but if i find it at the house, I can grab it this weekend and let you try it, Shit a free jacket is a free jacket, and would be sufficient enough for the MSF course

[SIGPIC]http://www.griseldaonline.it/foto/6galleria/tradimenti/warhol%20last%20supper%201986.jpg[/SIGPIC]The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

Unread
  (#11)
Licensed Rider

April 19, 2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
You have it backwards.

Gear first, then the bike.

There's more to gear than helmet and jacket.
Which is why I don't have a bike yet, and I am looking for gear which includes gloves and boots....
Unread
  (#12)
Licensed Rider

April 19, 2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jw626 View Post
I think a technik(dont quote on brand) or something its rainproof, but im 6'1 and its kind of short on me,torso wise... but if i find it at the house, I can grab it this weekend and let you try it, Shit a free jacket is a free jacket, and would be sufficient enough for the MSF course
Absolutely, I'd take a free jacket. PM and let me know if you find it. Thanks man!
Unread
  (#13)
This Space for Sale

April 19, 2012, 06:38 PM

Shoei RF-1100 Size L

Rev'it "Dirts" summer gloves for sale.

Shameless plug for some gear i'm selling.

009 CBR 600RR
Street

2003 R6
Track

CLICK Track and Bike Vids
Unread
  (#14)
Licensed Rider

April 19, 2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i View Post
Shoei RF-1100 Size L

Rev'it "Dirts" summer gloves for sale.

Shameless plug for some gear i'm selling.
Sorry man, I have bitch hands and a most likely a Medium lid. lol
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

April 19, 2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaus View Post
So the wife finally relented and I'm allowed (funny how I'm allowed to spend my own money) to get a bike finally. Taking the MSF class Memorial Day weekend and I need gear for that and for riding. I plan on getting a ZX-6r or CBR600RR (preferably 07+, but under $5k).

Any advice on a good set of gear that won't kill the wallet? I was looking at the Bell Vortex line for my lid, and outside of that no clue. Wife demanded I get a leather jacket instead of mesh so that is another requirement. Main riding will be street, and maybe a trackday way down the road once I get a lot of parking lot time in. I don't care if its last season stuff on closeout, I'm just looking for best bang for the buck that I know will offer as much protection as I reasonably can get. Any help with helmet, boots, gloves, and jacket would be awesome.
(Didn't even bother reading the other response posts)

If you need a leather jacket consider getting a perforated. Your entire body will thank you in the summer and all you need is a thin liner for winter.

For helmet fit is most important so before you go deciding on brand name or pretty design go to the stores and check which brands and sizes fit you best (slightly uncomfortable as it will stretch a bit and it's supposed to be a tight fit).

Gloves there are too many to suggest any particular one and they're also rider specific to which one feels best for you. Jackets there are tons too but just narrow down material and size then find one that you just plain like a lot. Boots you'll get tons of recommendations for, I would suggest you find 2 or 3 that you like and post them on here for feedback from experienced riders.

That's all for me. Welcome to your new obsession (both riding and .net).