DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 177
5 members and 172 guests
2blueyam, gvr4wd, Sal_the_man, Slider, tpadden
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Opinions? Recent helmet safety info
Unread
  (#1)
no one's blowing up moons

Opinions? Recent helmet safety info - October 9, 2012, 09:26 AM

So the first time I bought a helmet I did a lot of reading and made decisions based on that. It's coming up on time to buy again and I'm reading again.

I saw this and wondered if anyone else here has seen it and if so what do you think of it?

SHARP Helmets - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME

Rating Helmets Beyond Pass/Fail MotorcycleDaily.com Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

ECE 22.05 Motorcycle Helmet Standard - webBikeWorld

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/au...ts&st=cse&_r=0

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/

Last edited by lam@dcsf; October 9, 2012 at 01:08 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Derpetologist

October 9, 2012, 09:32 AM

Is this like the UK version of Snell? I assume it builds on top of UK / ECE requirements like Snell builds on top of DOT here in the states.

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
Unread
  (#3)
Knee Draggin!

October 9, 2012, 09:47 AM

I think the ECE and EU safety stuff for helmets is the same as DoT and Snell. But I am not sure. Rule of tumb is; if you are buying it in europe chances are it does not meet US requirements - i.e. grey market cars.

They do rate my Shark Evoline 3 with 4 stars.
Unread
  (#4)
Eddie would go ...

October 9, 2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail View Post
Is this like the UK version of Snell? I assume it builds on top of UK / ECE requirements like Snell builds on top of DOT here in the states.
sort of but not really

It's the UK Dept of Trans' effort to introduce a safety rating based upon impact data. It is purely impact based (arguably the #1 reason you wear a helmet).

Of course all this means nothing if the helmet has a poor fit to your head.

Find your head shape and a helmet designed for that shape. Makes like Arai do a good job at that.

Additionaly, aerodynamics is something that is often overlooked. Poor aero shapes cause buffeting and noise which leads to fatigue - also a safety factor. Many 'copycat' helmets do not do their own aero testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#5)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

October 9, 2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
sort of but not really

It's the UK Dept of Trans' effort to introduce a safety rating based upon impact data. It is purely impact based (arguably the #1 reason you wear a helmet).

Of course all this means nothing if the helmet has a poor fit to your head.

Find your head shape and a helmet designed for that shape. Makes like Arai do a good job at that.

Additionaly, aerodynamics is something that is often overlooked. Poor aero shapes cause buffeting and noise which leads to fatigue - also a safety factor. Many 'copycat' helmets do not do their own aero testing.
Big +1 to all this.

Fit and noise fatigue are often overlooked safety aspects. If a helmet conforms to standards but doesn't fit your dome, you risk getting your melon knocked around in an accident. Additionally, I was amazed at just how much wind noise is a factor in causing fatigue, and fatigue is a big factor in riders making mistakes and having an incident.

I'm a big fan of standards that are based on significant impact testing.

In my opinion, the more testing and standards that a helmet is subjected to, the better.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#6)

October 9, 2012, 10:07 AM

From what I've been reading it arises, in part, from disagreements about what is tested for. Some proponents are saying Snell testing is geared tests for worst case incidents which are statistically rare. They are saying Snell testing leads to a too rigid and over-built helmet that actually allows more injuries of a specific type to occur in the much more common lower speed accidents.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz

Unread
  (#7)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

October 9, 2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam@dcsf View Post
From what I've been reading it arises, in part, from disagreements about what is tested for. Some proponents are saying Snell testing is geared tests for worst case incidents which are statistically rare. They are saying Snell testing leads to a too rigid and over-built helmet that actually allows more injuries of a specific type to occur in the much more common lower speed accidents.
I've read stuff to this effect too. Lower speed stuff has the potential to cause some TBI stuff that can even be undetected until years later. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of actual data about it.

I feel that the snell standard has helped improve safety, but I'm totally fine with people doing research and pointing out any potential downsides to snell's methods. More information is always better, and an educated consumer is a good thing. Data like what you mentioned allows a rider to make a decision about risk that is much more educated. I.e., Do i want to focus on the worst case impact, or the more likely lower speed impact and long term effects.

Anyways, thanks for posting this up. Good information for all of us

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#8)

October 9, 2012, 10:24 AM

First let me say I don't mean to denigrate Snell in any way.

I'm just reading a lot of new stuff. It's making me wonder so I'm asking if someone else has been reading this too. If anyone has and knows more about this stuff can you help us sort out all these different 'expert opinions'?

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3

Last edited by lam@dcsf; October 9, 2012 at 12:31 PM..
Unread
  (#9)

October 9, 2012, 01:09 PM

I linked some of the articles I found in the op.

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3

Unread
  (#10)
No more 1050 :(

October 9, 2012, 01:54 PM

I remember a couple years ago, motorcyclist mag did a big helmet test... I don't remember details of the test, but some inexpensive helmets did surprisingly well...